IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Canadian deal of the century (bismarkia)

Rickybobby

I asked one of my nursery’s if they had any bismarkias. They told me they had a lone 7g from last season no one wanted. Roots growing out the bottom. Nice healthy roots and some brown tipping. 30 bux Canadian is so cheap for a bismarkia of this size here!

i has to buy it 

619F0FF0-C227-4746-9717-3884EC2DDBA8.jpeg

• Like 7

You have a kick ass nursery.  No one sells them here, and they are cold hardy here!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Problem seems that they are very sensitive to transplant damage.  

Picked up one in the Keys years ago, they are nice palms and do reasonably well in containers even up north.  

They really make a distinctive palm in South Florida.

Thanks normally a 7g goes for 100 bux plus here. So wether my wife was happy or not. I’m the best guy around here to have this palm. Once I find the right pot I will repot it. I know you guys hate this because you know palms can never be full grown here or live 50 years. But more and more they come and as annuals and in my case I’m hoping long term or as long as I can 

• Like 2

I don’t get how Canada has all of these great palms for sale I’m over here in New England buying 5gal palms online and paying loads for shipping.  Truly jealous

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kbob11 said:

I don’t get how Canada has all of these great palms for sale I’m over here in New England buying 5gal palms online and paying loads for shipping.  Truly jealous

That is funny. Our nursery’s filk a whole semi up with different palms and bring them up.  Also I was a big box store. They roebellinis. Spindles. Cat palms. Every year I see more and more palms coming up which is great. 

Pretty Bizzy, great score. If you repot it do so very carefully and don't cut or break roots if you can possibly avoid it unless you don't care about saving the pot, then cut it off in pieces with a razor knife. New pot should be deeper never shallower. Given lots of heat sun and rain it should grow well for you. You may need a heavy duty hand truck to move it indoors in winter if it takes off. Silver Bizzies are leaf hardy to zone 9b so it is cold hardier than coconuts or Adonidias.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 5/24/2019 at 1:32 PM, Rickybobby said:

i has to buy it 

I really think you had no choice in the matter.  I've never seen one here before and we can actually grow many palms outside!

What a steal! The only bismark I  have found is a 10-ish gal for $280 :badday:

On 5/25/2019 at 2:16 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

If you repot it do so very carefully and don't cut or break roots if you can possibly avoid it unless you don't care about saving the pot, then cut it off in pieces with a razor knife. 

Yep, I would very carefully slice off the existing pot with a razor knife and repot without cutting or disturbing the roots.  I have only done 3 Bismarckia but I have heard that they are very sensitive to root disturbance.  Trying to save a pot for later use isn't worth accidentally killing your new palm!

Will do everyone. Don’t care about the pot. I have an awesome upgrade pot that my other 7g have been repotted to that works perfect and I will not hurt it. I hope to enjoy this palm for many years ! It’s hard to believe it sat a year was under watered and 30 bux! So happy 

We also know that it was brought up here as an annual. The crappy fact and my goal is to have many happy and healthy years with all my palms. They. Bring me so much joy and therapy and I’ve learned so much about botany. So please don’t think I’m crazy I know my palms can’t grow 50 feet and live 50 years. But I will do my best to give them a great life. Also here because growing season is short. They almost bonsai in a way that if a palm grows a foot a year. Here there grow 2 inches. So we can enjoy them a lot longer as well.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

We also know that it was brought up here as an annual. The crappy fact and my goal is to have many happy and healthy years with all my palms. They. Bring me so much joy and therapy and I’ve learned so much about botany. So please don’t think I’m crazy I know my palms can’t grow 50 feet and live 50 years. But I will do my best to give them a great life. Also here because growing season is short. They almost bonsai in a way that if a palm grows a foot a year. Here there grow 2 inches. So we can enjoy them a lot longer as well.  

As long as you know and accept these will not be around long term, that's the right attitude. There are several members here in thorough denial. Enjoy them. It'll certainly give a tropical vibe, while they're around!

On 5/24/2019 at 3:36 PM, Ben in Norcal said:

You have a kick ass nursery.  No one sells them here, and they are cold hardy here!

Actually, I've seen them in stock often (and quite reasonably priced) at this Oakland nursery: https://www.thedrygardennursery.com/ He's usu. got several other palm species as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

As long as you know and accept these will not be around long term, that's the right attitude. There are several members here in thorough denial. Enjoy them. It'll certainly give a tropical vibe, while they're around!

99.9 percent of the people that buy all these nothern palms keep them annually. I’m not the normal person only a few of us around but also yes I am growing some massive potentially big palms but I’m also growing some species I can keep indoors for a long time. I am growing a lot of cold hardy but that’s not fun! Hopefully in a few years I will have some awesome pics 

• Like 1

CONGRATS!! An excellent experiment and I look forward to updates! Whatever you do, do not water it overhead, and keep water out of the crown!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 1 year later...

@Rickybobby, let us know when your Bismarckia got too big or too much trouble. Some of us at Zone 10 may not mind to give it a good life after your enjoyment. 

US Southwest Zone 10A

On 8/21/2020 at 2:02 AM, Padraic said:

@Rickybobby, let us know when your Bismarckia got too big or too much trouble. Some of us at Zone 10 may not mind to give it a good life after your enjoyment. 

Hi. It’s not much. Bigger than last year. Doing very well for me. I’m thinking keeping it root bound in the pot has slowed it down some. Which is fine for me I get to keep it longer 

current photos?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 8/22/2020 at 6:32 AM, Rickybobby said:

root bound

My Bismarckia was in 25 gallon container when they came. So it is possible have them in container and do well. It grew a foot in a year. Now they are in the ground.

image.thumb.png.155ff26f9085d0aea671695eb4d0d11e.png

• Upvote 1

US Southwest Zone 10A