IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Concern for Leilani Estates as lava moves eastward underground

Morabeza

According to Travis Sanders in his live feed, the guy arrested with the gun (John Hubbard) he has met before. He was the guy who was feeding Winkie the Cat

Always two sides to a story

Edited by Moose
  • Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

12 hours ago, Justin said:

@Kimyour place still looks fine, but I took this video across the street.  Hopefully it doesn't get any closer.

Holy bajeezus! That video really puts it into perspective since I know both locations; where the fissure is and the community center. That thing is TALL! The videos with just the fissure and lava around don't let you appreciate how tall tthat is. Wow:o:blink:

• Upvote 2

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

3 hours ago, Moose said:

According to Travis Sanders in his live feed, the guy arrested with the gun (John Hubbard) he has met before. He was the guy who was feeding Winkie the Cat

Always two sides to a story

I feel really sorry for him and his wife given the pressure I'm sure he's been under. Wish he hadn't had a gun with him as these sound like pretty serious charges because one was involved. It's received wide coverage since yesterday in the press. It's Bill (Scott's sometime video tag-a-long), had that confirmed. The KHON2 story painted it in a nicer light than maybe HNN but also showed from Ethan O Edward's fb page cellphone video although not the whole confrontation. Follow the various links on the story pages for a bigger picture. Apparently the other guy in the confrontation lives/lived on Hookupu and said his house had burned down. Sad to see situations like this happen. I've watched several news videos with Talmadge Magno (Civil Defense) speaking about this and he talks about tensions in the neighborhood due to the lava and fears of looting. Last night Scott put up two videos of the berm overflow on Makamae which were posted earlier in this thread. I asked him if the videos were from lava near F8 on the Malama side (see map below, printed this morning) and he said no, Kahukai side, so this unfortunately is right in Bill's neighborhood and advancing outside of Leilani Estates. 

5b100e00757c4_Makamaeflow-1.thumb.jpg.b1

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

A Second album for 5/30 was posted to the Hawaii County Civil Defense Flickr site.  More photos and 4 videos, these from all over the area of erruptions. The older 5/30 album as previously mentioned was of PGV. BTW they have started to post photos to a just created Thurs., 5/31 album for today's activity.

Here's one video (click on image) from the newer 5/30 album, clearly of F8, and watching it fountain in comparison to the size of the homes around it gives one a good impression of how towering this thing is.  Sorry for all the additional white space below the video, it was created by Flickr.

20180530_091109

Aerial view of the Y-intersection of Hwy 132 (flowing to the left) and Pohoiki Road (heading off to the right). Near the center is the old cone and slope that runs by PGV (pretty much center in the photo to the right of the ridge, the HCB House would be behind that cone) with Leilani more or less off camera to the right. The eruptions you see in the background to the right would be from F20-17 at the left and action at sea near the forest preserve at the far right back. Below is an Apple Map showing another view. Sorry don't have a toolbox for marking up the image on my current laptop OS to add labels for all of this.

20180530_093136

5b1037d17c9f4_Y-intersection-1.thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

It's eerily quiet this morning.  Fissure 8 isn't making any noise, and I just did a drive by and it's roughly half the height of yesterday, although it's tough to tell without a good frame of reference.

• Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

1 hour ago, Justin said:

It's eerily quiet this morning.  Fissure 8 isn't making any noise, and I just did a drive by and it's roughly half the height of yesterday, although it's tough to tell without a good frame of reference.

Maybe it running out of magma.  Fingers crossed.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

I am listening to KAPA Hawaiian radio and mandatory evacuations have been ordered for all remaining residents of Leilani Estates, beginning at 12:00 pm HST. They are threatening to arrest anyone who does not comply.

• Upvote 2

Aloha, JungleGina

Zone 9b, Sunny Sarasota, Florida

43 minutes ago, JungleGina said:

I am listening to KAPA Hawaiian radio and mandatory evacuations have been ordered for all remaining residents of Leilani Estates, beginning at 12:00 pm HST. They are threatening to arrest anyone who does not comply.

Thanks for the heads up JungleGina. Just came back from lunch and saw your post. Actually this only applies to the Eastern half of Leilani Estates. Not sure if KAPA clarified that. (I use to listen to them all the time online, but haven't done so for a while). Here's the pertinent part of Mayor Kim's Order, for the entire proclaimation click here to see it on Big Island Video News. This area has been red zoned since the meeting I believe. This doesn't affect some of the remaining residents but I know we have members with properties in the included area and assume that they won't be able to even check on their properties even if not touched by lava at this point. I think with the lava lakes so high and they are already seeing overflows, their biggest concern right now is that there could be a large break and the flow will inundate the areas so quickly making it impossible to evac to safe distance. Actually seeing the photo below at the end of this post I'm not sure if even Pomaikai is far enough seriously but I'm just a layman here making that observation.

"I hereby issue an ORDER requiring the mandatory evacuation of all civilians from all that area of Leilani Estates subdivision, including and East of Pomaikai Street, as specifically highlighted and delineated in the map attached hereto, and any subsequent amendments thereto as deemed necessary.

This Order is effective at 12:06 p.m. this 31th day of May 2018. All persons have twenty-four (24) hours from the effective date and time of this Order to evacuate the mandatory evacuation area.

Persons remaining in the mandatory evacuation area beyond the effective date and time of this Order do so at their own risk with the knowledge that emergency responders may not respond.

Persons in violation of this order are subject to arrest and liability for any recovery costs associated with rescue operations in the mandatory evacuation area.

This mandatory evacuation shall continue thereon for 60 days or until further act by this office."

Here's the Red Zoned Area:

5b105a32b8252_Mandatoryevacorder-1.jpg.b

Actually this Red Zoned area was Mayor Kim's first signed Order. Here is the second one issued that residents should read. Declares a State of Emergency and suspends code in order to facilitate longer-term temporary emergency shelters for displaced or voluntarily evacuated residents.

5b105deee737e_Mandatoryevacorder-1(1).jp

• Upvote 1

The topography of Leilani Estates is changing each day. I'm not sure what the elevation change between the section in the photo in the previous post compared to the elevation of the highest points in Leilani Estates is but that's very scary. And you can see break out in the wall with the people below it. Lava flows like this build by layers and inflation from within and take low points to high point and then flows to those now lower sections. 

----

Here's links to the current USGS Alerts, Photos and Map areas. I need to leave for an appointment so won't be able to update for a while.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/status.html

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_chronology.html

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_maps.html

----

Here's a few more links I've found useful to monitor:

Civil Defense: http://www.bigislandvideonews.com

Mileka Lincoln (reporter Hawaii Headline News): https://www.facebook.com/pg/milekalincoln.hnn/posts/?ref=page_internal

Travis Sanders (fb LavaNews who's on Green Mountain): https://www.facebook.com/pg/lavanews/posts/?ref=page_internal

Hawaii Tracker Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hawaiitracker/

Info Supply Hub: https://www.facebook.com/pg/puuhonuaopuna/posts/?ref=page_internal

Honolulu Star-Advertiser news: http://www.staradvertiser.com

KHON2 TV news: http://www.khon2.com

Hawaii News Now TV news: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com

• Upvote 1

Scott has just posted a video from Bill's house. It pretty much confirmed what I saw on the google Community Mapping Project that I saw a little while ago.

5b1063c823d3f_Kahukai-1.jpg.ed762c0abbef

• Upvote 1

Based on seeing how high the lava has piled up, Pomaikai seems about right.  The river/lake/whatever of lava is definitely higher than Kupono, and likely higher than Moku too.  So it's like mashed potatoes and gravy on your plate.  It's all fine until the gravy gets through, and then there's gravy all over everything.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Always lagging behind uploading video

Mashed potatoes and gravy. Good analogy. I was in the car going to an appt and KCBS was on and giving report from Big Island. Said lava flow at times was moving a football field in 6 minutes I think and at times 250ft high in fountaining. Reported on Mayor's evac proclamation and of course the issue between neighbors. Worldwide attention given to all 3. On cell and not really able to check in.

• Upvote 1

Been catching up on the videos here and reading some sites. Just watched this video stream from Jason Twillman's fb page.

https://www.facebook.com/jtwillman/videos/10214819162465842/UzpfSTM1NzQ1NTU1NDQyMDI2OTo5OTE1NzA5MDQzNDIwNjE/

This is off Hwy 132 which is being impacted by the lava flow right now. Jason checks on their Mac nut trees to discover the lava has reached them, then takes off to check on his neighbor's property, Paradise Nectar Apiaries, to heartbreakingly discover the lava is on their property as well and at their house. Actually had me in tears. Such great neighbors, such caring. BTW if anyone wants to help support Jen Rasmussen and family who own Paradise Nectar Apiaries, here's their GoFundMe site. Jen teaches bee keeping at UH-Hilo.  https://www.facebook.com/pg/buzzon4ever/posts/?ref=page_internal

• Upvote 1

Checking in on videos and stories. Boy did I get that comment from KCBS wrong about the speed of the lava flow.  I stumbled on the CBS This Morning coverage wihich was the same as what was on the radio and they said it was 6 football fields in 1 hour.  Just wanted to correct that.

----

Travis Sanders (fb LavaNews) is up a tree, literally, doing a live feed (ended 1 hour ago) and streaming from Green Mountain and following the lava flows in the area of Hwy 132. The orig. video has been updated with HD quality. Travis always does such a great job explaining where things are in relationship to the island. The reason for the feed is that the flow is headed for Four Corners at the coast. Smiley gave them permission to set up a temporary live feed from her location and he asks if anyone has some equipment they could use, if so let him know. He also will set up a GoFundMe to cover the feed costs. See his description for the video for more info on how to help.

He wants people to know that if they are still on Hwy 132, access will be cut off tonight and the lava will cross near Four Corners and follow 132 to where it intersects with 137.

https://www.facebook.com/lavanews/videos/212089796247992/

----

Mileka Lincoln posted this update from USGS about conditions at F8 in Leilani Estates, the Noni Farms area, Four Corners and the activity along Kahukai today. Also the dangers of the channels that have been created within the flows. https://www.facebook.com/pg/milekalincoln.hnn/posts/?ref=page_internal

5b10d909c6508_Mileka-1(4).jpg.45b987b9e4

• Upvote 1

Scott makes another trip to check in on Bill and Tom's houses up at Kahukai and Makamae at 4:17pm.  Tom's house is on fire. Bill's house had some really nice palms.

• Upvote 1

Video of the Pahala community meeting on Ka'u Air quality on Wed. 5/30 (48 min.):

• Upvote 1

One or two of Scott's videos showed overflow from lava flow levees.  What seems to happen is that the hot, very fluid lava tends to flow quite happily in channels that it keeps nice and toasty, and presumably pretty well lubricated.  But there's inevitable solidification around the margins, including any spatter around the edges, so the channel bed inevitably rises and likely as not, its margins shrink a bit.  Then lava spills overboard, possibly melting a bit of the frozen but still hot channel edge.   

At flow fronts, I'm willing to guess that thick forests can temporarily slow the rate of flow.  Not that I'd recommend dumping a Birnam Woods of old cars or shipping containers in front of an approaching flow.  If nothing else, flows happen too fast for easy obstruction.  So things get complicated.  A colleague working as a hydrologist actually had a doctoral dissertation in how magma moves about.  He was having an interesting time with water (mostly) at the surface.  

• Upvote 2

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

First video uploaded by Civil Beat in last couple of days. Uploaded 8 hours ago, dated 5/29/2018

Curious if they will resume covering a new live feed?

2 hours ago, Moose said:

First video uploaded by Civil Beat in last couple of days. Uploaded 8 hours ago, dated 5/29/2018

Curious if they will resume covering a new live feed?

I get Honolulu Civil Beat's daily newsletters but haven't had a chance to read them the last few days. I did get a notification the video got posted and was all excited thinking it was a new live feed. I know all the equipment was removed from the Hwy 132 House due to the lava closing the road there.

I Figure Anthony was on the Big Island hoping to finish negotiating with the cell tower owner there at the House but that became a moot point so probably came to Leilani and filmed some of F8 there. I had suggested to him they talk to the cell tower owner at Leilani Estates which I thought could be great location for a remote camera. Now that area is closed off by the Mayor. Perhaps you guys in Leilani know of a location that is high, could give a good view and out of the lavas way??

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WestCoastGal said:

I get Honolulu Civil Beat's daily newsletters but haven't had a chance to read them the last few days. I did get a notification the video got posted and was all excited thinking it was a new live feed. I know all the equipment was removed from the Hwy 132 House due to the lava closing the road there.

I Figure Anthony was on the Big Island hoping to finish negotiating with the cell tower owner there at the House but that became a moot point so probably came to Leilani and filmed some of F8 there. I had suggested to him they talk to the cell tower owner at Leilani Estates which I thought could be great location for a remote camera. Now that area is closed off by the Mayor. Perhaps you guys in Leilani know of a location that is high, could give a good view and out of the lavas way??

If he wants to build a treehouse in my Rainbow gums, they are the highest trees for several blocks around, and undoubtedly can see the fissure head on.  All I ask is to get to go up in the treehouse.

19 hours ago, Justin said:

Based on seeing how high the lava has piled up, Pomaikai seems about right.  The river/lake/whatever of lava is definitely higher than Kupono, and likely higher than Moku too.  So it's like mashed potatoes and gravy on your plate.  It's all fine until the gravy gets through, and then there's gravy all over everything.

My interpretation exactly. My house is gonna be toast sooner or later.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.