IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roots Above Soil Level

nitsua0895

I've got four Dypsis Decaryi palms in pots and three are growing very well but one has stopped growing entirely and I think it has something to do with the top of its roots being above the soil. What's the best course of action for this problem?

I've also got a Wodyetia Bifurcata that's doing the same thing and I'm just holding it up with a piece of bamboo and string at the moment.

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Put more soil in the pot, there's space.

I thought I had read on here before about something called air layering(I think that's what it's called).

A few weeks ago I added soil to my Foxtail palm and it kept falling over. But since this D. Decaryi is still standing up on its own, it'll probably work to just add soil.

9 minutes ago, nitsua0895 said:

I thought I had read on here before about something called air layering(I think that's what it's called).

A few weeks ago I added soil to my Foxtail palm and it kept falling over. But since this D. Decaryi is still standing up on its own, it'll probably work to just add soil.

Air layering is something completely different.  Get some soil in there.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I have lots of palms like yours and are growing like a rockets. I think this is not the problem.

But like Ben says, get more soil.

This is my Chamaedorea wodsooniana, it grows fast and healthy and you can see the roots. One month ago i get it more soil on the top.

IMG_20170319_200435.jpg

• Upvote 3

Seen this many times, any different species.    I had one recently that did this. I let it go for a few years and it was fine.  Last fall I fixed that issue by planting it deeper, and boy has it ever responded in a positive way.  Not only is it growing much better, its also retaining lower leaves much longer now it seems.  Its also about to bloom.   The species is Chamaedorea Elegans.  There is a whole thread on it here: 

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/51048-older-chamaedorea-elegans-needs-help-air-layering/

I will be updating that thread soon once the bloom spike opens.  It had 4 old fronds and one newly opened one back then.  Now it has 7  with an 8th half way out.  

With respect to air layering, its not too much different on principle so what I did  and what you are likely to do.   Air layering is adding a growing medium to a stem that has root nodes  above ground and securing it and keeping it moist. That mimics it being under soil.  Usually people use wet/ moist sphagnum moss to secure to the stem that encourages the root nodes to grow.    What I did  instead was just plant it a few inches deeper so several inches of the root nodes were in the moist soil.  Worked just the same and like a charm, and the plant is responding accordingly to the new root growth.  

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 22/05/2017, 11:38:45, Pal Meir said:

Aerial roots of a 13 years old huge palm tree: :o

5922e99331348_Roots2017-05-22IMG_9220.th

What is this Pal? Post more picture plz