IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ridiculous palms on ebay

Mr.SamuraiSword

Festuca glauca, "Blue Fescue"

Festuca cinerea a1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Helictotrichon sempervirens

is the most bluest and silver grass I’ve ever seen! It’s just like Chamaerops argentea. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

On 11/11/2017, 8:48:51, Jimhardy said:

2 words to look out for when ordering ANY plant(etc) off E-bay .....

From China

By the time those Sago get big enough to see they are not blue

it will be way to late to do anything,not to mention that it may take

months for the seeds to arrive...

I don't know about months. I order live plant items from Thailand on a somewhat normal basis and it has taken a max. of 2 weeks to arrive at my local post office. ^_^

I do agree with your sentiment re: "From China". Quite frankly, if anyone falls for a "From China" listing - especially with the poorly edited photos, they get what's coming to them. This is not a world for the naive. :rolleyes:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

I know the guy selling those zone 6 Washingtonia seeds.  Hmm...ask him about it or leave it alone...?  He’s a really nice guy, but that listing is a little on the deceptive side.  Washingtonia that survive a zone 6 winter out west would perish at higher temps in the east.  

Here in the PNW we have quit a few native blue leaf plants here also. Like Sedum, Evergreens, and Grasses. Theres one butterfly here that only lays its eggs on a native blue fescue. 

939.jpg

Hot-Sale-Unique-Blue-Spruce-Seeds-Picea-Tree-Potted-Bonsai-Courtyard-Garden-Bonsai-Plant-Pine-Tree.jpg_640x640.jpg

leymus blue dune 2_20120407173526.jpg

fullsizerender.pcf_.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 3

1lb of blue fescue seed courtesy of this thread.  

Cant find Helictotrichon sempervirens seed. 

15109680139771121593345.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I found this just now, 'Local Aussie stock Blue sago cycas'  

$6.00 for 1 seed.

Even I can do a more realistic looking photoshop fake picture than they did,

I don't know how many people would believe that one.

s-l500.png.d1421c47ae147b0c409fc7710c263

• Upvote 6

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

If I didn’t buy palms on eBay, I’d have a yard full of nothing but queens and robellinis like every one else in town. I’ve had great luck from CA and FL growers both. And thank goodness TXColdHardy comes to town on occasion so I can get some bigger stuff!

Yes good point, I use ebay a lot too. While this thread is to point out the more unrealistic claims by lieing sellers.

it is still fair to remember that the majority of stuff is of the quality that we expect and at a good price. 

Cheers Steve

..How about a Variegated Agave Victoria for $10k... $10k,  ...for a plant. Just like wasting $1k on a "stinkin"- ( putting it nicely) phone: :floor::floor:=This what im doing while someone gets themselves  ka-noodled.  No plant on this round piece of stone is worth the $ of a car, or several well planned vacations, etc, ..or even half that. [# GTL facepalm champions:greenthumb:]

On 11/29/2017, 12:18:05, gtsteve said:

$6.00 for 1 seed.

Looks like they used some kind of aquarium light on the plants during the photo in addition to the photoshop'ing attempt to try and clean it up some. I have seen hilarious stuff on eBay. Certain fakes that looked really good, but with an extra close look and a bit of research, 'ding' the alarm goes off. Always send a message asking for more info, even if its just a common question just to see what their response is and how long it takes. Asking for more photos is another key thing. Taking more photos and sending them isn't that hard or time consuming as it once was. They might not have the time or the effort to fake more photos just for one possible customer.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

I have since changed my view on ebay seed and plant sellers since there are plenty of honest ones, now I just look at the picture, reviews, and where it is from. Be careful about scams though! 

PalmTreeDude

Some people have a hide don't they!

It makes me think of all of the money that I have been throwing in the bin. :D

Cheers Steve

On 29/11/2017, 4:18:05, gtsteve said:

$6.00 for 1 seed.

s-l500.png.d1421c47ae147b0c409fc7710c263

Steve , I think they use Paint not PS...

• 9 months later...
On 10/5/2016, 2:55:40, Joe NC said:

I was curious, and used the "search google for image" for the pic in the Washingtonia e-bay add above.  I found that the palms in the picture are growing at Fort Bayard in New Mexico. Interestingly enough, they are located at ~6000' in elevation and in zone 7b according to the latest USDA map.  Google street view from Calle de las palmas in Ft. Bayard shows them growing up against a building and recovering from winter damaged fronds.  Not quite the 7a seed source and no damage as advertised, but not as egregious as a blatantly photoshopped blue watermelon.  Are the seeds actually collected from these NM palms, or just something scooped up from a parking lot in LA?  Who knows.        

Actually the new USDA interactive map if you search for Silver City in southern New Mexico seen here shows it show fort Bayard just barely in the 8a growing zone (10.4 F annual extreme) which will grow these trees provided its a dry western climate such as Silver City. Truth or Consequences is pretty much spot on the edge of 8a growing zone as well and supports the first well established Washingtonia Filferas. The annual extremes are fairly close in annual temperatures to other New Mexico cities such as Las Cruces, check out the new interactive map. If you are having trouble locating Silver City, put in this zip code into the interactive map: 88061

Check out the interactive hardiness map:

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/phzmweb/interactivemap.aspx

fort bayard palm trees.jpg

Edited by tfinvold
Left out some key information, wanted to include it.