• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Normanbya normanbyi

realarch

After a post by User a week or so ago about speed of Normanbya, I went back to see if I could piece together a history of of the ones in my garden. They must like where they are planted, because they have been pretty fast growers. They are always dropping fronds which I break up and use as mulch at the base of the palms. A bit untidy, but keeps the weeds down and returns nutrients back to the roots. Always interesting to see their growth over the years. 

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I don't know why it fails to post photos from time to time, so I'll try again. 

Tim

2009.jpg

2010.jpg

2011.jpg

2012.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 8

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

From 2013 to the present. The rope in the 2014 photo was an attempt to stabilize a large Socratea for an approaching tropical storm. Didn't work.....took out the stilt root palm. 

Tim

9_14_16.jpg

2013.jpg

2014.jpg

2015.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Very attractive palm even when not fully plumose. Palmpedia states could take below freezing once mature.......so the chances for England are still zero, or build a very tall conservatory!

Tim, 

is Areca catechu 'album' growing close by? on the right on 2014 2015 pics?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Thanks Gary, I don't think I ever remember Normanbya in San Diego when I lived there, but do remember Wodeytia (foxtails) that looked pretty good.

Philippe, yes those are A. catechu 'alba' just cranking along. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I am always shocked by the small size of your shovel.

Seriously, is that a full-size shovel in the 2016 photo?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

20 hours ago, realarch said:

From 2013 to the present. The rope in the 2014 photo was an attempt to stabilize a large Socratea for an approaching tropical storm. Didn't work.....took out the stilt root palm. 

Tim

9_14_16.jpg

2013.jpg

2014.jpg

2015.jpg

That's beautiful...min has not moved since planted last year...they must be super slow here in Sydney 

20 hours ago, realarch said:

Tim

what is Your garden elevation from sea level 

Thanks for the impressive photo sequence.  They've never quite caught on in Florida.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

A saying here in Oz is that foxtail palms are the poor mans / woman's black palm. Ie Normanbya's are a much prettier and nicer palm than a foxtail.... I couldn't agree more. 

Great growing Tim!!

• Upvote 4

Nicely grown palms there Tim! I agree with Ben, Black palms are much nicer than Foxtails...and they tolerate clay soil much better.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

3 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

A saying here in Oz is that foxtail palms are the poor mans / woman's black palm. Ie Normanbya's are a much prettier and nicer palm than a foxtail.... I couldn't agree more. 

Great growing Tim!!

Ben, are they more cold sensitive than Foxtail? here , I guess they are slower than Foxtail, might be the cold?

• Upvote 1

Beautiful palms Tim; they are moving right along. I put a small one in a protected area of my yard (maybe too protected), about 4 years ago. It is pretty slow, though steady. About head high now. After seeing yours, I think it would prefer more sun.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

20 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Ben, are they more cold sensitive than Foxtail? here , I guess they are slower than Foxtail, might be the cold?

From my personal experience of growing them in the ground and in pots I would say they are similar as far as cold cold sensitivity..... often foxtail are actually more fussy

• Upvote 2

They just require warm humid weather, especially at night to do well. Definitely tropical to subtropical in requirements. Not suited to cold to cool prolonged weather where they are just super slugs. These are beautiful when grown well. The white under the leaflets is just awesome.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

3 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

From my personal experience of growing them in the ground and in pots I would say they are similar as far as cold cold sensitivity..... often foxtail are actually more fussy

I mentioned this as I saw very small, thin Normanbya in @Palms4Steve Steve garden but very big stablished Foxtail so i thought Foxtail should grow easier than Normanbya in Sydney ?! 

Tim, I loved seeing this post.  The palms are gorgeous and I was immediately transported to that little piece of heaven in Hilo. I never thought of growing these in my garden but perhaps I should reconsider.  They do like a lot of water and rich soil which is a challenge for me. 

All my best to you.

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Aloha Peter, nice to hear from you again. You might give them a try in your garden, do you have access to any? 

Hope all is well, and bet to Guillermo. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I've been debating whether to add some of these to my garden, but that debate is now over.  I'm going to add some post-haste!

• Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

6 hours ago, Mohsen said:

I mentioned this as I saw very small, thin Normanbya in @Palms4Steve Steve garden but very big stablished Foxtail so i thought Foxtail should grow easier than Normanbya in Sydney ?! 

There used to be a couple of really healthy Normanbyas near the herbarium in the Sydney Botanic Gardens...don't know if they are still there.

Daryl

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

9 hours ago, Mohsen said:

In marginal climates the Wodyetia is an easier grow. In Perth there were quite a few big fat fruiting Wodyetias, but I never saw any big fat Normanbyas that were anywhere near fruiting. In fact only collectors had Normanbyas and even then they were never big.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Funny, these Normanbya started to get so chunky just a few years after planting, I almost thought for awhile they were foxtails.

Most of these palms I had seen in other gardens had been rather thin including the base of the trunk. Must be the soil and moisture making them so robust. 

Tim 

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Yeah, down here they start off very thin...looking like a small understorey palm with a 1" thick trunk...then they just fatten up to normal proportions. Definitely will have a stand of these beauties in my new garden. Hopefully they will do well on my yellow clay.

Daryl

Mine do well in the boggy ground along my creek............ There is evidence from a couple of separate sources of a disjunct population here in the Whitsunday Region. Some investigation will be undertaken to see if I can find any.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Sounds interesting Andrew, let us know what you find out and just what the differences might be.

Daryl, are you excited about planting a new garden? Just think of all the new species that have become available since the start of your old, beautiful, garden.  

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Yeah Tim, I'm chomping at the bit to get started! Only a few more weeks hopefully. First palm in will be my '215' which is still loving life and surviving well in a pot...

Daryl

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

I’m resurrecting an old thread….I am curious if anyone is growing this palm in the central florida area? Leu Gardens in Orlando has a couple, and they seem to be doing quite well. Anybody have any in private collections? Anybody growing in CA? This palm seems to be rare in discussions, most likely due to the close resemblance to the more common Wodyetia bifurcata. Any feedback on this palm is appreciated. Thanks