IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut palm out of winter

Coconutman

Looks pretty rough but the first winter indoors for my coconut palm.

image.thumb.jpg.8b15bb4eb5f6a1f64c1cb55dimage.thumb.jpg.249a62babfe70635fe4ab9aaimage.thumb.jpg.77322802bbaa134b56789cdd

I'll probably start to slowly move it outdoors as spring progresses!B)

• Upvote 3

I think it looks pretty good if it's spent all winter indoors. Coconuts don't do well as houseplants, so you must be doing something right.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On February 15, 2016 at 3:12:22 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

I think it looks pretty good if it's spent all winter indoors. Coconuts don't do well as houseplants, so you must be doing something right.

Barely any water plus a huge mirror to reflect all available sunlight.

• Upvote 1

Any spidermites bothering the palm? In my experience, it is almost impossible to grow them in the house without spidermites.

Succes,

Wim.

5 hours ago, wimmie said:

Any spidermites bothering the palm? In my experience, it is almost impossible to grow them in the house without spidermites.

Succes,

Wim.

Nope

I don't want to jinx it though!

Edited by Coconutman

18 hours ago, wimmie said:

Succes,

Wim.

My Cocos didn’t have any spider mites (the pics of the same palm are taken in 1974 and 1977):

56cc74b9c3212_Cocosnucifera19741977.thum

• Upvote 5

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

• 1 month later...

So what's the possible success of keeping a coconut inside during winter? 

23 hours ago, cassowaryhill said:

So what's the possible success of keeping a coconut inside during winter? 

You need a very light warm spot away from draughts and direct heating and keep it fairly dry, but if you want an unkillable house palm in Melbourne, a plain old golden cane will survive anything.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

8 hours ago, peachy said:

You need a very light warm spot away from draughts and direct heating and keep it fairly dry, but if you want an unkillable house palm in Melbourne, a plain old golden cane will survive anything.

Thanks Peach! But I want to give a coconut a try. Go to Aldi they have $13 palms. I bought a Ptychosperma elegans. Not bad!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, cassowaryhill said:

Thanks Peach! But I want to give a coconut a try. Go to Aldi they have $13 palms. I bought a Ptychosperma elegans. Not bad!

Shane, I have one Coconut , I brought the seed from New Caledonia :

IMG_5463.thumb.JPG.0ef7ab1875f8b218653e21.JPG.a37b32fb772ca11546743ae1170ca8da.J

Also I bought Ptychosperma elegans, chamaedorea seifrizii and phoenix roebelenii from Aldi last weekend, good price :)  will Ptychosperma elegans  gonna make it in Melbourne?

image.thumb.jpeg.f85d3eae84230c49a8e6215c1658ea77.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f030545e8748ac279d1859611ac833e9.jpeg

11 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Shane, I have one Coconut , I brought the seed from New Caledonia :

IMG_5463.thumb.JPG.0ef7ab1875f8b218653e21.JPG.a37b32fb772ca11546743ae1170ca8da.J

Also I bought Ptychosperma elegans, chamaedorea seifrizii and phoenix roebelenii from Aldi last weekend, good price :)  will Ptychosperma elegans  gonna make it in Melbourne?

image.thumb.jpeg.f85d3eae84230c49a8e6215c1658ea77.jpeg

HAHAHAHA!! Its going to be an indoor palm during winter and spring :)  OMG SOOOO JEALOUS!!! Im a little cash strapped so two palms for me.. Might go and get a Trachycarpus for outside

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2016‎ ‎9‎:‎05‎:‎35‎, Pal Meir said:

My Cocos didn’t have any spider mites (the pics of the same palm are taken in 1974 and 1977):

56cc74b9c3212_Cocosnucifera19741977.thum

Do you still have it today?

13 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Pal, did it have trunk ? how old was it when he died? was it in direct sun all day?

The stem was 10+ cm, and the palm was 10 years old when it bumped on the ceiling and didn't get enough light any more. It was only for a couple of hours in direct sun, during winter only ca. 2 hours, if at all. — The photo on the left shows it in 1981 (I couldn’t find a better one), when the long fronds already spread under the ceiling.

5713918bcb571_Cocos19811977.thumb.jpg.bb

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

That was awesome Pal, I think that should be a record to keep 10 years a a coconut inside...

normally after how many fibid it had fronds?

it's almost warm enough I'd be pretty sure my super market coconuts didn't get too cold in transport.  Time to try doing this myself, again. . . 

Some day, I will have a Nebraska Coconut....

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

On April 18, 2016 at 9:57:50 AM, Funkthulhu said:

it's almost warm enough I'd be pretty sure my super market coconuts didn't get too cold in transport.  Time to try doing this myself, again. . . 

Some day, I will have a Nebraska Coconut....

That'll be awesome if you get one to grow in Nebraska. I'm about to give a Red Spicata Dwarf Coconut a try here in Montgomery. Do you have experience with what temperature starts to damage a coconut palm? I read on Palmpedia that it's 40F but I'll probably try to keep mine away from temps below 50F. 

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎25‎:‎52‎, Mohsen said:

I wish our Aldi was that good. awesome purchase!

• Upvote 2

On 4/16/2016, 10:35:19, Pal Meir said:

Now the stem segment serves this older woman as neck:

57123f4d1ccc8_CocossegmentIMG_7969.thumb

Pal, you've given me an idea for my Mayan head!

006.thumb.JPG.cd07d876d360f8272a8101d70f

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2016‎ ‎5‎:‎18‎:‎24‎, nitsua0895 said:

That'll be awesome if you get one to grow in Nebraska. I'm about to give a Red Spicata Dwarf Coconut a try here in Montgomery. Do you have experience with what temperature starts to damage a coconut palm? I read on Palmpedia that it's 40F but I'll probably try to keep mine away from temps below 50F. 

If planting it in the ground, be prepared to erect a greenhouse around it from November-March.  Try to keep low temperatures in the enclosure 50F + for best results, but lows in the 40s here and there should not do major harm (especially with the structure that will naturally keep the palm much warmer on most days, even without additional heat).  A few nights in the 30s (above 32F) should not cause much harm.  The colder nights will just put a stop to new growth.

For Cocos, overt acute cold damage starts near 32F, while prolonged temperatures in the 40s and 50s will take a toll and eventually lead to decline.  Keep most nights 50F+ and most days 70F+ and the palm should do just fine.

21 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

If planting it in the ground, be prepared to erect a greenhouse around it from November-March.  Try to keep low temperatures in the enclosure 50F + for best results, but lows in the 40s here and there should not do major harm (especially with the structure that will naturally keep the palm much warmer on most days, even without additional heat).  A few nights in the 30s (above 32F) should not cause much harm.  The colder nights will just put a stop to new growth.

For Cocos, overt acute cold damage starts near 32F, while prolonged temperatures in the 40s and 50s will take a toll and eventually lead to decline.  Keep most nights 50F+ and most days 70F+ and the palm should do just fine.

Would it be best to keep it in a pot for a couple of years until it's a pretty good size? I imagine it's probably even more tender at this stage where it's just starting to grow.  And I'm curious by your photo, do you grow Cyrostachys Renda in Orlando?

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

I can see the 3rd leaf appearing now :) 

IMG_6237.JPG

Can you plant this  in outdoor  

9 hours ago, User00 said:

Can you plant this  in outdoor  

I wish to but unfortunately not :(  ...even last night-early morning tem dropped to 7C...

Once a year attempt, take 6!

I bought a store coconut, washed it, soaked it, and put it in a ziplock with some sphagnum. . . molded over in less than 24 hours.

Washed again, treated, delidded and back in the bag.  Some mold still on the bottom, but nothing sprouting on top.

Maybe I need a better source of coconuts.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

4 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

Once a year attempt, take 6!

I bought a store coconut, washed it, soaked it, and put it in a ziplock with some sphagnum. . . molded over in less than 24 hours.

Washed again, treated, delidded and back in the bag.  Some mold still on the bottom, but nothing sprouting on top.

Maybe I need a better source of coconuts.

I tried that too with same result. Don't know what other guys do that makes it so easy.

Bought one off Ebay earlier this week so should be here soon......I'll consider it a annual.

Arrived today! along with a lipstick palm and naturally during a rare May cold snap so cocoanut will be indoors a couple of days.

Palm in a 50/50 mix of soil(that has perlite in it) and common sand so drains very well.

13092130_10153828336027655_4294263457171679137_n.jpg

Edited by sashaeffer
add text
  • Upvote 2

On 5/13/2016, 5:25:11, sashaeffer said:

I tried that too with same result. Don't know what other guys do that makes it so easy.

Bought one off Ebay earlier this week so should be here soon......I'll consider it a annual.

I brought the Coconut in hsuk from New Caledonia and placed in water for 4 days and then in soil , 70% POTTING MIX 30 % Seramis...

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

How have people's coco's been over the summer and early Fall (I know it's the opposite in Australia ;)) Progress pics please. 

Ok, this is my Coconut, I have had it for about 5 months now. This is in Virginia and a friend of mine brought it up from Fort Lauderdale, he sprouted it in the pot it is in now, and he got the coconut fresh off of a coconut palm, I may repot it next week, but here it is! This palm has seen tempature down to 42 degrees F outdoors IN the pot. 

IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2006.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude