IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Too Long in the Same Pot?

Pal Meir

I start with two examples of palms which were obviously much too long in too small pots. The first are two Chamaedorea metallica var. pinnata twenty years in 12x12cm plastic pots, and the second is a Syagrus weddelliana four years in a tiny 8x9cm clay pot:

56ad0cca21a41_Chamaedoreametallica2002-0

56ad0ccf3d37c_Lytocaryumweddellianum2006

• Upvote 5

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

well, in your case do you have much of a choice but to keep them in pots? maybe bump them up in size?

They are wonderfully grown and you experience doe show Pal :) 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

As long as you keep them in soil that contains only small amounts of organic material that will probably work just fine. And if the organic material decomposes very slowly like pine bark, even better.

If you use small pots like in the case of the Syagrus weddelliana, I wonder to what extent the speed of growth is affected or how it compares to the same species grown in a bigger pot, as the palm is limited as to the amount of roots it can build. The more roots it can build, the faster it will grow.

In any case, your palms look absolutely wonderful ;)

Frank

The two Ch. metallica I gave away in 2008, still in the same small pots for 26 years. I have to check, if they are still alive. :indifferent: — The main problem with the tiny pot of that L. weddellianum was that it couldn’t keep water longer than for only one day, even if filled up with water to the top of the pot. And in 2011 I was almost one week out of home …† :crying::violin:

• Upvote 1

You're palms look very nice indeed! Magnificent. I too have an interest in keeping palms potted for long periods of time. You've shown its definitely possible to keep one in a pot long-term. Interesting to learn of, in this forum. :)

• Upvote 1

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

• 2 weeks later...

woow... interesting... I like it, this is the other unexpected bonsai palm....  :o

I've tried to make like this for coconut tree....  

1314_3232736034677_896901733_n.jpg

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Coco Bonsai said:

woow... interesting... I like it, this is the other unexpected bonsai palm....  :o

I've tried to make like this for coconut tree....  

Your Coco look really fantastic! :greenthumb: I have tried bonsai like growing (with root pruning etc.) only with Chamaerops and Trachycarpus wagnerianus. One of the Chamaerops is now for 30 years in the same small 18x18cm pot.

• Upvote 2

On 31.1.2016, 12:52:31, Pal Meir said:

The two Ch. metallica I gave away in 2008, still in the same small pots for 26 years. I have to check, if they are still alive. :indifferent: — The main problem with the tiny pot of that L. weddellianum was that it couldn’t keep water longer than for only one day, even if filled up with water to the top of the pot. And in 2011 I was almost one week out of home …† :crying::violin:

Watering is the main problem if the pot contains only roots and only a small amount of soil. 25 years is crazy but your beautiful palms show that it is not as impossible as i would have thought. :)

I can only offer the other extreme. I had to repot one of my plants 5 times now in the last two years. :o

Edited by Alcibiades

42 minutes ago, Alcibiades said:

Watering is the main problem if the pot contains only roots and only a small amount of soil. 25 years is crazy but your beautiful palms show that it is not as impossible as i would have thought. :)

I can only offer the other extreme. I had to repot one of my plants 5 times now in the last two years. :o

To avoid a similar sad experience as in 2011 with the Lytocaryum in the small 8x9 cm pot I repotted my newer Lyto weddellianum palms twice within two years, starting with 8×9 cm clay pots in April 2013 I repotted them in January 2014 in 12×12 cm clay pots and again in May 2015 in 14.8×17.4 cm plastic containers:

56c0e2005de28_PotsIMG_8496.thumb.jpg.fb8

On 2/14/2016, 3:24:51, Pal Meir said:

To avoid a similar sad experience as in 2011 with the Lytocaryum in the small 8x9 cm pot I repotted my newer Lyto weddellianum palms twice within two years, starting with 8×9 cm clay pots in April 2013 I repotted them in January 2014 in 12×12 cm clay pots and again in May 2015 in 14.8×17.4 cm plastic containers:

56c0e2005de28_PotsIMG_8496.thumb.jpg.fb8

How did you know when to repot them again?

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2016, 4:51:54, Pal Meir said:

When they looked too big for the smaller pots. :hmm: And I wished to avoid such sad experiences like that one with my Syagrus weddelliana:(

what do you use to fertilize your palms with?

do you use and fungicides for root drenching for preventative  maintenance?

thanks,

Josh-O

Sunset zone 24

If you trim the roots you could put them back in the same pot. Keep em small. Ive seen coconuts kept small this way.

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

5 hours ago, Josh-O said:

what do you use to fertilize your palms with?

do you use and fungicides for root drenching for preventative  maintenance?

thanks,

Josh-O

Only a liquid NPK fert 7+3+6, no fungicides.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Only a liquid NPK fert 7+3+6, no fungicides.

dyna-gro-foliage-pro-liquid-plant-food-f ?

have you tried liquid kelp?

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

• 2 months later...

At the moment I'm trying baby bio for all my plants, NPK 10.6, 4.4, 1.7

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Does trimming the roots suit most palms?

25 minutes ago, Howeadypsis said:

Does trimming the roots suit most palms?

I don’t know if »most« palms, but in case of very many species it works, even as in that example with the very tender L weddellianum. But in case of Chamaerops and Washingtonia or most Phoenix and Trachycarpus spp you can keep the pot size small by a quite »brutal« :crying: root trimming.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

in case of Chamaerops and Washingtonia or most Phoenix and Trachycarpus spp you can keep the pot size small by a quite »brutal« :crying: root trimming.

Thats good to know