• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

More cycads

Trinidad Bob asked me about cycads, and we have a couple of hundred on our property. Here are a few of them. First, two Encephalartos kisambo.

post-22-1153524327_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Encephalartos transvenosus

post-22-1153524370_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Zamia skinneri

post-22-1153524404_thumb.jpg

And a Zamia skinneri frond (these are just wonderful plants!!)

post-22-1153524454_thumb.jpg

Hey,Bo,whats the story on your estate? is it a botanical garden? are you a caretaker or do you own it?..whats the history? and what do you do with the seeds/seedlings of all those rare or even non rare plants?

And you win best palm collection.

i need a drool proof keyboard!!!!! SAWEET!!!!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Thanks Guys! Yes, Stan, this is our own property so I think I'm little bit more than just a caretaker... There's much more information in the 'Our Hawaiian Jungle' thread which I started several days ago, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask them either here, or in that thread.

As far as seeds/seedlings, we're in the process of setting up a palm nursery (local sales on the Big Island only), so I'm germinating a lot of our seeds for this new venture.

Here are a few more. This is an Encephalartos tegulaneus, planted from a 1G pot in July 2002, so pretty good growth since then.

post-22-1153535138_thumb.jpg

Encephalartos gratus cones

post-22-1153535191_thumb.jpg

And the whole plant (E. gratus)

post-22-1153535351_thumb.jpg

And the Encephalartos paucidentatus that was partly visible in another thread (the "Bizzie something...". Fred Zone 10A (hope you read this!) made comment about it, and I should have pointed out that Anders Lindstrom, who knows a lot about cycads, didn't ID this plant from a photo. He was here in person a few years ago and had a close look at it.

post-22-1153535474_thumb.jpg

Bo,

Nice Zamia skinneri( or Z. neurophyllidia). Do you grow any of the true Skinneri, with the large leaflets? This is supposely Z. skinneri and the small leaflets are Z. neurophyllidia. Also any Z. dressleri from Panama? Or....what other Zamia's do you have growing? This is my favorite group and grow many of these at the nursery.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

I'm sure you're correct about the skinneri. I bought a bunch of these from Palms of Paradise (under the Z. skinneri name, which doesn't necessarily mean it's correct!). I don't have any dressleri, and I'm pretty sure I don't have any of the large leaf skinneri (I guess I would know if I did!!). I do have a few other Zamias, though, incl. loddigesii, muricata, picta, standleyi, pseudopsarasitica and splendens, to mention a few. Here's one of my (still relatively small) Z. roezlii. This one is about 5-6 ft tall.

Bo

post-22-1153539427_thumb.jpg

Bo,

I concur with Jeff on that Zamia. I have heard from more than one person that all of these in Hawaii were initially misnamed as Z. skinneri and are, as Jeff indicated, Z. neurophyllidia.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Dean (and Jeff),

OK, that's good to know (well not THAT good!!). And another name tag I can throw away...

Bo

Do you have any Ceratozamia?  I love the emergent leaf colour of some of the Ceratozamia species.

What about Dioons and Cycas species? please post more pics.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Neofolis,

Here's a Cycas pectinata. I'll check later today what else I can get a good shot of.

Bo

post-22-1153589362_thumb.jpg

Didn't get around to taking any more cycad photos today, but tomorrow is another day! :)

This is a mystery Encephalartos. It was sold to me as a 'sp.', so any feedback on which species it might be would be most welcome.

post-22-1153634869_thumb.jpg

(bgl @ Jul. 21 2006,22:25)

As far as seeds/seedlings, we're in the process of setting up a palm nursery (local sales on the Big Island only), so I'm germinating a lot of our seeds for this new venture.

Here are a few more.

Yep, Its sad, but Bo is acting just like the drug dealers of legendary status......

First he shows us the objects of our desire and how good it is to have what he has...

Then he'll tell you he has what you need to have the same stuff as him..!!

BUT, only if you are on the "Big Island"!   So, you have to move to Hawaii, to get the "stuff"  (preferably in his neighbor hood so he has some control and you don't look to other "dealers" )

Then, by you being in the area, needing the "stuff", he supplies you,....cutting out the middleman!! :cool:

Brilliant Man, Brilliant!!  :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill,

you blew my cover! :laugh: And WHAT, there's a middleman??? :)

Bo

Great pics Bo, I can't help with the ID though, my guesses are always wrong.  I love how healthy your plants always look.  I know the Hawaiian climate helps, but I'm sure they wouldn't look so healthy without your help.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(bgl @ Jul. 23 2006,03:24)

Bill,

you blew my cover! :laugh: And WHAT, there's a middleman??? :)

Bo

You better figure out a way to cut me in man, or I'm gonna blow your cover over on the "DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE" forum too!   :cool:  :cool:

I just want access to the stuff man, I gotta have it! :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bo,

Did you trim your Z. skinneri (or neurophyllidia) up or do the leaves naturally grow straight up like that? Zamia's are also my favorite Cycads.

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Bill,

Well, like you said, you've got to move here! :P

And NatureGirl,

We recently cut off the older (lower) fronds on the Z. neurophyllidia (and I'm sure that's what they are), so what you see is the newer growth that just opened up within the last month or so.

Bo

A few more. First, looking into the center of a Encephalartos ferox with new cones and fresh new fronds.

post-22-1153701743_thumb.jpg

Cycas curranii

post-22-1153701785_thumb.jpg

A group of smaller Dioon mejiae

post-22-1153701832_thumb.jpg

And a group of Dioon spinulosum

post-22-1153701881_thumb.jpg

I just registered for the new forum and have missed everything for the last few weeks. I was looking through the pictures real quick, and Bo, the first thing that came to mind on your unknown enceph is E. villosus. Usually they look a little thinner than that, but I have them that are more dense as well and look a lot like your plants. If it isn't that, then I have to go with E. senticosus, which used to be lebomboensis, which DOES look that dense.

Bo, it looks like we should talk sometime. I wish I could grow that stuff outside so it can get to be a large size!  I will write more later. I need to add something to the skinneri subject, and also a couple of your plants look like they have had a problem, and want to discuss that as well. DHL just brought me a big box and I need to get offline and check out my new toys.  Tom

Tom,

Thanks a lot! Had a busy day, but tomorrow I'll look at my E. villosus and compare them with the "mystery" Encephalarts shown above. And as far as the rest, send me a PM or post here, whatever is appropriate.

Aloha!

Bo

Seems that some of you are quite interested in seeing pics of Cycads so I will share some of what I've got growing in our garden.  Below are two Ceratozamia kuesteriana . . .

post-90-1154071057_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

a Ceratozamia 'molongo' . . .

post-90-1154071698_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Ceratozamia mirandae . . .

post-90-1154072182_thumb.jpg

Nice sunsets!

Cycas platyphylla . . .

post-90-1154073063_thumb.jpg

Nice sunsets!