IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

constructing new greenhouse, etc.

elHoagie

Thanks Kate!  Progress has been a little slow lately.  To make a long story short, I made a bad decision about what type of fastener to use, so I had to go back and change them all.  :angry:  Anyway, the skeleton is now complete, and I have the bench supports attached to the frame.  On Sunday I finally started putting up the polycarbonate.  I'll try to get some updated photos this week.  It's amazing how long this process can take when I only have a few hours per week to work on it...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Jack, could you beifly explain your fastner issues.  It could save some of us the trouble in the future.  Plus I just love all the different types of hardware you can buy.  I know, pretty nerdy, but we go to this place called United Fastner here in SD and they have butt loads of stuff....it's fun.  Ever use powder driven fasteners?  It's like shooting a gun into concrete......YYYYYeeeeeeehhhhaaaawwwww!!!!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Jack,

Where did you purchase your materials?  I'm going to be building my own greenhouse soon and any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Matt,

Here was the issue with the fasteners.  The aluminum I used was a combination of 1/8 inch and 1/16 inch thick.  I would have liked to just use 1/8 for the whole thing, but the costs got out of hand.  I just wanted to use self-drilling screws, so that construction would be easy, but that required getting a screw with a lot of threads to make sure it would work with the 1/16 stuff.  So, I purchased a bunch of 6-32 screws.  After I had the skeleton built, I tested the stiffness by pushing on it, and a few of the heads popped off the screws.  I realized I needed something more robust.  So, I did what I was going to do in the first place before I tried to cut corners, and ordered a bunch of 1/4-20 bolts with nuts and lock washers.  It's VERY solid now.

I used those blue-coated screws for fastening to the concrete.  Those bastards are brittle, and I popped the heads off about 10% while trying to drive them in.  When the screw broke I would just drill another hole nearby, so it wasn't too big of a deal.  I did break the carbide tip off about 3 of those percussion drillbits, which was exciting....  I have used those power driven fasteners, when my dad and I were remodeling the basement of my parents house about 10 years ago.  It was fun smashing the back of the tool with a 4# hammer, then hearing the blank explode the nail into the concrete.  The only problem was the concrete was really hard (or maybe the blanks we bought weren't powerful enough).  Anyway, I'd always have to pound the nail in the last 1/4 inch or so by hand...

Nick - the materials came from several different places.  I shopped around for quite a while to find the cheapest/easiest sources.

The fasteners/hinges/etc came from McMaster-Carr

The concrete and the polycarbonate came from Home Depot

The aluminum came from Metals Depot

Some of the odds and ends came from International Greenhouse Company

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

more photos!don't be stingy! :P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

You know, I'vebeen happy with my Harbor frieght tools house other than size.  Doing it again, I'd just buy the $600 10'x12' house and be done with it.  (once you assemble it :P )

The 6'x8' house is just too small..... for me.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wow! I missed this and stuff the first go round. Danny is a great help, and a funny guy to boot. I bet he was joking most of the time.  Looks like it will be a nice greenhouse when you finish. More pictures please.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

why no anchor bolts in the slab?

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

(Ray, Tampa @ Apr. 11 2007,04:07)

I'll be out there again in a couple of weeks.  Maybe I can see the finished product in person.

two words:

Livistona fulva

I get by with a little help from my fronds

(palmotrafficante @ May 01 2007,18:04)

why no anchor bolts in the slab?

The 1/4" screws I used are easily strong enough to anchor the structure.  The main problem was the tight space, which means most of the attachment points are close to the edge of the slab.  I was worried that those anchor bolts with a lead sleeve might break the slab...

Or did you mean setting the bolts before I poured the slab, so they would be integrated in the concrete?  That seemed like way too much trouble, especially since they'd have to be positioned within 1/2", since the aluminum is only 1" wide.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

(elHoagie @ May 02 2007,14:14)

Or did you mean setting the bolts before I poured the slab, so they would be integrated in the concrete?  That seemed like way too much trouble, especially since they'd have to be positioned within 1/2", since the aluminum is only 1" wide.

like in the slab, holding down a 2 X 6 treated plate and then attach your aluminium frame to the treated lumber.... no right or wrong way to do it.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Finally took some pictures.  Here's the screw I used to attach the frame to the concrete.

post-74-1178298027_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Here's one of the bolts I used for construction.

post-74-1178298076_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Here's a view of the whole structure from the side.

post-74-1178298123_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Here's a view from above of the back part of the roof.

post-74-1178298166_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

The front part of the roof.

post-74-1178298201_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Last one, a view from inside the greenhouse.

post-74-1178298245_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Looks first rate, Jack........and even if it were 4 times the size, it probably wont be big enough! :laugh:

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

That's so nice Jack.  You'll have so much fun playing in there.  Something to think about while still in the framing stage is mounting brackets for......fans fans fans.  Keep that air moving like a stiff breeze.  Do more than you think and then add some more to be safe.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Looking good there Jack.

these are the concrete screws your talking about?

tapcon_lg.jpg

I've seen them before and didn't like the idea of 'threading' concrete. Keep a close eye on them and watch the heads don't pop with movement of the frame. Did you consider nylon plug anchors and Tek screws?

The bolts your using to bolt the structure together are stainless steel?

If so, a nylon or rubber washer to separate the stainless from the aluminum will save you a bit of grief in the future. In a wet environment the aluminum will react with the stainless and corrode in time.....but this is the problem with building any greenhouse structure . No matter what material you use theres no way to prevent it from degrading....unless you can afford to build a stainless steel one ???

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Jay,

Yeah, those are the screws I used.  I did consider the nylon anchors, but I thought these would be more robust.  I'm not so sure now that they're in...  The hole I drilled in the aluminum is oversized, and the aluminum is thin enough that it should flex before a head pops off (I hope).

All of the bolts are stainless.  I was hoping they wouldn't react at all with the aluminum.  I think it might be too late to add a spacer, since I have a lot of the polycarbonate panels up after working on it this weekend.  Hopefully the aluminum won't degrade too quickly...

Hmm, stainless steel.  I just looked at the prices, and it's only 5 times the price of aluminum.  I'm sure it's also a pleasure to cut/drill.

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

No worries Jack.  By the time  it corrodes out you'll need the space to plant in anyway.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally finished this damn thing on Sunday.  Here's some photos...

An overall view from the outside

post-74-1182790285_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Cleaning up a few things

post-74-1182790389_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

looks great,jack!how many sq.feet?

still "warning-free."

Admiring the structure

post-74-1182790533_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Let's take a look inside

post-74-1182790652_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

From the front door, looking left

post-74-1182790760_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

From the front door, looking right

post-74-1182790855_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Whoah!  That's top rate dude!  Can't wait to see more pics.  If you have squirrels, screen your low vent.  When the dogs are sleeping they'll sneek by eat your seeds.  Little bastards!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

From the back, looking left

post-74-1182791062_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

From the back, looking right

post-74-1182791101_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

A closeup of the fan, timer, and outlet at the back of the greenhouse.  One of these cheap $10 fans from Target ran for about 5hrs/day in the old greenhouse for three years with no problems.  So, I figured cheap fans would work for this greenhouse also.

post-74-1182791276_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

A closeup of one of the top vents, with an automatic opener yesterday afternoon

post-74-1182791404_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

looks like a meth lab,to me.

still "warning-free."

Here's the same vent at 6AM this morning

post-74-1182791513_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Time to test the sprinklers.  I still don't have the automatic timer set up

post-74-1182791640_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles