IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Have anybody notice that Google maps has streetview for beaches

Coconutman

Now that is just too cool.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

That's awesome!

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I just go to random places to see what kind of vegetation/climate those places have!Kind of cool to see limits of certain tropical plants.

Or perhaps you prefer the dry sandy desert to view palms while taking footage via camel back...

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2014/10/roam-arabian-desert-with-street-view.html

Heard about this "street view" on local TV within just the last few weeks. Here's directions: Right turn at first dune, travel 5600 camel steps to lone palm tree, make a left at the mirage and continue to the sea or until you die of thirst, which ever comes first...at which time you will have arrived at your final destination.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

• 2 weeks later...

The Florida beach "street view" project got some support from the state. Locally, at our own little South Beach, the project managed to catch a surfer and the coconut that grew from a nut that someone seems to have plopped off to the side of a boardwalk.

post-275-0-49718300-1417314991_thumb.jpg

post-275-0-18641700-1417314973_thumb.jpg

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

The Florida beach "street view" project got some support from the state. Locally, at our own little South Beach, the project managed to catch a surfer and the coconut that grew from a nut that someone seems to have plopped off to the side of a boardwalk.

attachicon.gifSouth Beach street view surfer copy.jpg

attachicon.gifSouth beach street view coconut copy.jpg

That must be a pretty common thing for people to do with sprouted coconuts that they find! There's one just like that on Lido Key in Sarasota.

post-3598-0-21364200-1417358273_thumb.pn

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

A ideal location for a cocos creates a nice silhouette against the setting sun for the tourist.I won't be surprised if those sea grape bushes are hiding some cocos seedlings!

The thicket at our South Beach could really use a visit from a Florida Park Service fire crew. They're really good at setting fires around buildings and boardwalks without causing damage or even flustering beachgoers (I have some photos of such a fire at Sebastian Inlet). Right now, the area is so dense, I doubt there's any more coconuts coming up. Plenty of beach naupaka, Scaevola taccada, a common shrub from Hawaii to east Africa but a pest in the Caribbean. Also lots of gray nickerbean, botanical barbed wire.

Today, the beach had some semi-messy 3' surf and a few surfers.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us