IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Foxy Ladies

Richie

Spectacular..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Very nice Richie! I liked them enough to plant 3 Foxy Lady Palms which are now beginning to flower. Are the seeds from this hybrid viable?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Very nice Richie! I liked them enough to plant 3 Foxy Lady Palms which are now beginning to flower. Are the seeds from this hybrid viable?

No viable seed yet Al,but i'll keep trying.

Love these palms, are they on your property?

Yes Bismark, these palms are in my garden. We grew these from seeds that came from our V. Joannis and Foxtail. These ones are 12 years old and all from the same batch of seeds. Some have the variegation in the leaves and some don't.

Wow, twelve years from seed! I'm seeing that kind of vigor now in my only foxy lady but I still can't imagine it like yours in just a few more years. They look fantastic planted in a grove the way you have them.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I have tried a number of times to propagate their seeds but haven't managed to raise any.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I have raised seedlings (of foxy ladies) by making an "Oedipus" palm. I crossed the Vieitchia Wodyetia back to Wodyetia. Son to Mother hence Oedipus Palm. I have some nice examples and have also seen just a few sprouts under my foxy ladies which I assume are from Wodyetia pollen back to the hybrid child.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I was in Corona del Mar today and I happened by what appeared to be a foxy lady along the parkway! What say you folks?

Sorry for the poor picture.

post-9980-0-28863000-1409628835_thumb.jp

When you see these things growing this close to the ocean, you know they're vigorous even in cooler temperatures. The peak Summer average high for Newport Harbor is only 73F (with overnight of 63F) and the Winter average high is only 63F (1 degree cooler than my place). http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ca6175.

Thanks for the pictures everyone. The foxy lady has been on my Wish List for years but it's beginning to look like the closest I'll get is pictures of everyone else's!!!

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Thanks for the pictures everyone. The foxy lady has been on my Wish List for years but it's beginning to look like the closest I'll get is pictures of everyone else's!!!

Lee

Lee, it is easy to make your own!

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

We have a green Foxy Lady that was planted as a 3 gallon maybe 10 years ago. It was planted next to other straight 3 gallon Veitchias and a mature Wodyetia. It has grown faster and taller than all of these and has been seeding for years. The seed comes in two sizes, somewhat small oval seeds, representing Veitchias I assume, (3/4 - 1 inch) that never sprout, and larger, almost Wodyetia size seeds that do sprout. There are a few seedlings below the parent with no variegation showing but they are only several inches tall so far.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Seeds are sterile, but I heard word of a back-cross with wodyetia...

We have a green Foxy Lady that was planted as a 3 gallon maybe 10 years ago. It was planted next to other straight 3 gallon Veitchias and a mature Wodyetia. It has grown faster and taller than all of these and has been seeding for years. The seed comes in two sizes, somewhat small oval seeds, representing Veitchias I assume, (3/4 - 1 inch) that never sprout, and larger, almost Wodyetia size seeds that do sprout. There are a few seedlings below the parent with no variegation showing but they are only several inches tall so far

Have you sprouted those big seeds in pots? How is it that there two seed sizes in the first place? wouldn't all the seed be the same? Could some of it be deformed? I would assume any sprouted seed would have been exposed to Wodyetia pollen, is this true? Are the Veitchia blooming? I would imagine the Veitchia pollen could make babies with a hybrid. I too have some sprouts under my hybrids that I assume are back crosses.

These hybrids are new and we are all learning. Things are not always what they seem and experience will sort it out over time and if we are lucky some scientists will look into this and help us out. Hmmmm, there is a funding project we could get some steam behind.

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

We have a green Foxy Lady that was planted as a 3 gallon maybe 10 years ago. It was planted next to other straight 3 gallon Veitchias and a mature Wodyetia. It has grown faster and taller than all of these and has been seeding for years. The seed comes in two sizes, somewhat small oval seeds, representing Veitchias I assume, (3/4 - 1 inch) that never sprout, and larger, almost Wodyetia size seeds that do sprout. There are a few seedlings below the parent with no variegation showing but they are only several inches tall so far

Have you sprouted those big seeds in pots? How is it that there two seed sizes in the first place? wouldn't all the seed be the same? Could some of it be deformed? I would assume any sprouted seed would have been exposed to Wodyetia pollen, is this true? Are the Veitchia blooming? I would imagine the Veitchia pollen could make babies with a hybrid. I too have some sprouts under my hybrids that I assume are back crosses.

These hybrids are new and we are all learning. Things are not always what they seem and experience will sort it out over time and if we are lucky some scientists will look into this and help us out. Hmmmm, there is a funding project we could get some steam behind.

I have not sprouted them in pots. I don't know why there are 2 sizes. It might be that one is self pollinated or from Veitchia pollen and the other from Wodyetia pollen or it might be that most of the seeds just abort earlier before they reach maturity or there is some genetic defect. Both sizes are red like veitchia, not brownish red like the Wodyetia. They are oval or oblong like veitchia not almost round with pointy ends like Wodyetia. The larger seeds represent only a few percent of the total seed production. The mature surrounding Veitchias do not produce a lot of pollen, at least in comparison to the surrounding Wodyetias, which are prolific.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds