IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

transplanting a double coconut tree

cycadjungle

Oh no. That is sad. I remember seeing that palm several times in person at Dr. Youngs garden in Tampa in the early 80'S, I was hoping it would have made it.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

45 minutes ago, rick said:

That sucks. I really hope they didn't get rid of it because it wasn't perfect looking. 

The new spear was brown when I saw it in September. It's unusual because usually when a palm grows a few inches on the new spear it's a sign that the transplant was a success, but this one went downhill after that point. I wonder what happened. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

On 10.6.2015, 23:22:31, Pal Meir said:

Oh, she doesn't look very healthy ... :crying:

The Botanical Garden Planten un Blomen in Hamburg/Germany owned also a very nice seedling of Lodoicea in 1973. In the same year there was the International Garden Festival IGA, and I don’t know what happened since with this fine palm. I think the Goofys and Mickey Mouses of that city didn’t even imagine what treasure they possessed at that time:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/palmeir/9872182034

post-10467-0-25263500-1433971158_thumb.j

The Botanical Garden in Berlin currently has a Lodoicea seedling in the main glasshouse since 2014 . I visit this palm every 2 or 3 months. The planting spot is not well chosen though in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Alcibiades said:

The Botanical Garden in Berlin currently has a Lodoicea seedling in the main glasshouse since 2014 . I visit this palm every 2 or 3 months. The planting spot is not well chosen though in my opinion.

In the past we had in Germany many botanists specialized in palms like Martius, Wendland, Drude, Burret, Potztal, but at present only Toby Spanner …? :indifferent:

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

28 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

In the past we had in Germany many botanists specialized in palms like Martius, Wendland, Drude, Burret, Potztal, but at present only Toby Spanner …? :indifferent:

I have studied in several german universities. That our country does not produce many leaing scientists anymore does not surprise me one bit. :)

BTW Taschenverlag has a brand new edition of Martius groundbreaking work of his lifetime "The book of palms" http://www.taschen.com/pages/de/catalogue/classics/all/00395/facts.martius_das_buch_der_palmen.htm

There is a bookshop here in Berlin that sells it for 20€ atm. :)

2 hours ago, Alcibiades said:

I have studied in several german universities. That our country does not produce many leaing scientists anymore does not surprise me one bit. :)

BTW Taschenverlag has a brand new edition of Martius groundbreaking work of his lifetime "The book of palms" http://www.taschen.com/pages/de/catalogue/classics/all/00395/facts.martius_das_buch_der_palmen.htm

There is a bookshop here in Berlin that sells it for 20€ atm. :)

20 € for Martius ??? Can you buy it for me? :drool: — Global science is main stream science, the level of science (at universities) is (not only in Germany) level, without tops, many flops, but here in D the contrast to times in the far past is alarmingly obvious … :violin:

15 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

20 € for Martius ??? Can you buy it for me? :drool: — Global science is main stream science, the level of science (at universities) is (not only in Germany) level, without tops, many flops, but here in D the contrast to times in the far past is alarmingly obvious … :violin:

I bought the Martius book 2 or 3 months ago in Buchhandlung Walther König an der Museumsinsel. My wife told me that the price was even below 20€, They had several copies of the book on a bargain table outside of the store. Maybe you can call them and ask whether they still have them available (03025760980)? If so send me a PM with your adress and i will buy it for you.

32 minutes ago, Alcibiades said:

I bought the Martius book 2 or 3 months ago in Buchhandlung Walther König an der Museumsinsel. My wife told me that the price was even below 20€, They had several copies of the book on a bargain table outside of the store. Maybe you can call them and ask whether they still have them available (03025760980)? If so send me a PM with your adress and i will buy it for you.

Thank you! I’ll call them tomorrow. :)

While searching for another book i found it on Amazon for 15€ . Just search on Amazon for The book of Palms. :)

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

The difference is......Toby is no botanist.

• Upvote 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I liked in W Loetschert's book the part about palm's anatomy and I also liked the book of Steeb, alas I lost latter.

On January 8, 2016 at 7:13:23 PM, redbeard917 said:

Stopped by today to see if that leaf had opened. Looks like it's gone.

IMG_20160108_172838871.jpg

I am so very sorry! 

Cindy Adair

I have seen the Lodoicea in Chicago and it is very nice. However seeing as how it is dioecious it seems a shame that I was recently unable to bring any live seeds to Puerto Rico where they could reproduce and flourish.

The PR Tropical Agricultural Research Station was to benefit. 

Cindy Adair

On 1/8/2016, 6:13:23, redbeard917 said:

Stopped by today to see if that leaf had opened. Looks like it's gone.

IMG_20160108_172838871.jpg

Thank you for the update. I am heartbroken.

• 4 years later...
On 7/9/2014 at 8:19 AM, Zeeth said:

Amazing job! Does anyone know if you have to book a hotel to go see the palms at Gaylord, or can you just walk in?

No reservation required, but they charge 20$ for parking.