IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mystery Palm from Columbia...

Mandrew968

Mr. Street - Curious as to why my sincerity would be in question? Based upon your statement that you believed that the mystery palm was from the Tribe Cryosophileae, then researching which palms of that tribe are endemic to the area from which the seed came from - should have been an aid towards the palm's ID. Do you feel that the information from Genera Palmarum is insincere?

Here is some more sincerity. There were many trained palm collector eyes at the auction that evening. Some that were collecting palms before you were born. Why do you think there were not alot of bids? Perhaps because the consensus was that it was some kind of Sabal? Only time will tell.

Don't focus your frustration towards me because your "uber rare" palm may be common. It was submitted as a mystery palm, you take your chances on such plants. Possibly an epic Caveat emptor may be applicable after all.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Andrew, I think the moral of this thread really shows that "tags" can be "misleading, and sometimes with the "intention of misleading".

Be happy that Sabinaria and Sabal "both" start with Sab :) Pete

Andrew, I think the moral of this thread really shows that "tags" can be "misleading, and sometimes with the "intention of misleading".

Pete, I have a million and one palms--for that I am happy. I did not win this palm. My Dad thought he would bid on it and it happened to be the highest bid. The story that was told to me, by the collector was intriguing. I personally am not certain of what it is nor can anyone else ID it yet--all that's left is to grow it up :) I am certain my dad is happy with his palm and where his money went. Pete, have you ever seen any species of Sabal(not that Oz is the land of Sabals) without a heel?

Pete, I have a million and one palms--for that I am happy. I did not win this palm. My Dad thought he would bid on it and it happened to be the highest bid. The story that was told to me, by the collector was intriguing. I personally am not certain of what it is nor can anyone else ID it yet--all that's left is to grow it up :) I am certain my dad is happy with his palm and where his money went. Pete, have you ever seen any species of Sabal(not that Oz is the land of Sabals) without a heel?

Andrew, fair dinkum, a million and one Palms, I thought you lived in the suburbs not on acreage , thats good then as you wont run out of space to plant.

Sabal's arent a Palm I "ever chase" so I only have 4 inground, 3 Domingensis and 1 mauritiiformis which yes has a heel, maybe your heel is still down low?

Whatever it is, it will show "what it is" faster "inground" but dont plant it near your "Choice Copernicia's" Pete :)

Andrew, fair dinkum, a million and one Palms, I thought you lived in the suburbs not on acreage , thats good then as you wont run out of space to plant.

Sabal's arent a Palm I "ever chase" so I only have 4 inground, 3 Domingensis and 1 mauritiiformis which yes has a heel, maybe your heel is still down low?

Whatever it is, it will show "what it is" faster "inground" but dont plant it near your "Choice Copernicia's" Pete :)

Pete--had to look up that dinkum talk! :lol: Yes, I live in the City, but have three places and a vast container ranch. Not quite a million, but certainly a number I wouldn't count to. The heel thing is throwing me off--there isn't one burried; trust me, I checked. Maybe Matty is right and it develops a heel later on down the road, but it's already a 3gal...

• 1 month later...

Nice looking mauritformis, looks a lot like mine except for the heel.

It still has yet to produce a heel... It's growing well though.

• 9 months later...

Its been a year, would be interesting to see an update on this palm :interesting:

I'm with Moose, Picture please

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I've got a bunch of S. mauritiiformis seedlings that are now the size of your original pics. I think that's what you've got, mine look the exact same and don't have a heel yet either.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I have not witnessed a sabal that size without a heel. But I have witnessed some heeled Dypsis that were large enough to have a heel and they did not, only to later reveal the one they were forming below the leaf bases. Not sure if that translates to Sabal.

Wait a minute, I just went back and looked at your pics. I think it does have a heel forming.

Matty, nice red arrow technique. looks so official and all...lol

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I've got a bunch of S. mauritiiformis seedlings that are now the size of your original pics. I think that's what you've got, mine look the exact same and don't have a heel yet either.

I recently purchased a 5 g sabal maritiiformis that looks a lot like it...
  • Upvote 1

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

• 3 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2014‎ ‎5‎:‎12‎:‎43‎, Moose said:

Its been a year, would be interesting to see an update on this palm :interesting:

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2014‎ ‎6‎:‎29‎:‎05‎, Josh-O said:

I'm with Moose, Picture please

It's now 3.5 years since the palm boy wonderful posted his claimed uber rare palm. No follow-up as suspected. It's a character defect for Andrew to ever admit he was wrong.

And so the sickness continues. :sick:  SABAL sp. !

Everyone can be wrong from time to time-I never claim to be anything other than human. I can get a picture of this palm later, if you like-it was planted at my father's house on the side of a mound. It is slow but doing well-I too believe it is a mauritiiformis. I also admit that I didn't want it to be that, but it has a great story behind it now and those are cool too!

Looking back on this thread is funny-I couldn't even spell Colombia correctly!

Life is a marathon-nice to get a little time to reflect... I have come a long way since this topic. I am confident I will make it even further still-never thought I would ever be able to be a part of one the premiere palm collections in the world and one of the greatest institutions I have ever come across(MBC), but I am. I am also amazed that I have such an amazing family and three palm gardens in Cutler Bay-Moose, if you ever want to visit one or all of these palm gardens, pm me and we will set up an epic PRA. We can even document it on this forum; I would love to snap the Moose with some of my landscape trophies...

5482817571.jpg

• Upvote 1