IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Allagoptera arenaria

blake_tx

• 4 years later...

15 gallon in the ground. 16f-low, below freezing all night. 95% defoliation. Already pushing out new fronds and is flowering !

IMG_20170114_141238.jpg

IMG_20170114_141426.jpg

Blake

• 2 weeks later...

These two are at Mercer botanical gardens in Houston. Judging from the rest of the gardens it may have dropped to 23 degrees during the January 2017 freeze.

20170127_084614.jpg

20170127_084609.jpg

• Upvote 2

I have one and was afraid to put it in the ground.    This is very encouraging.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

4 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

These two are at Mercer botanical gardens in Houston. Judging from the rest of the gardens it may have dropped to 23 degrees during the January 2017 freeze.

20170127_084614.jpg

20170127_084609.jpg

Do not be that sure until end of coming summer...

On 7/2/2017, 8:25:17, Phoenikakias said:

Do not be that sure until end of coming summer...

Hmmm, I wantend actually to reply to Giuseppe's post. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have a 5-gallon sized A. arenaria planted between my neighbor and I (approx. 15-feet wide strip) around 2010 which survived this past winter with significant damage. All fronds were fried by a night-time low of 20F in January.  New growth from below ground was apparent within two weeks. This palm gets direct sun during the middle of the day in spring/summer and generally bright light for all other times. Generally this past winter was warm, but we did have a 36-hr  period below freezing with the 20f low in January.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

11 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

I have a 5-gallon sized A. arenaria planted between my neighbor and I (approx. 15-feet wide strip) around 2010 which survived this past winter with significant damage. All fronds were fried by a night-time low of 20F in January.  New growth from below ground was apparent within two weeks. This palm gets direct sun during the middle of the day in spring/summer and generally bright light for all other times. Generally this past winter was warm, but we did have a 36-hr  period below freezing with the 20f low in January.

Any pic of it now?

• 1 year later...

Jan 2018 mine saw 20F with freezing rain and I wasn't able to cover it at all and it basically laughed at it. No damage whatsoever its in a raised planter next to my pool about 35g sized palm

Same freeze killed 2 bizzies 15g size and spear pulled a mule palm 25g cant explain it =/ same planter

T J 

• 1 year later...

So. California, in the High Desert zone 8b.

I have 2 small plants. They start to show leaf burning at 25-26f. I usually have frost with my low events. 

Allagoptera Arenaria #1

20201201_074249.thumb.jpg.118407d9ff93585d573368f93c19403e.jpg

Allagoptera Arenaria #2

20201201_073518.thumb.jpg.17681ae57b3775787dff86cb02846569.jpg

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

• 4 months later...

The great Texas freeze defoliated my quadruple palm. 15° F was the low. I did protect this time with a moving blanket with a planket over it. 2 of them spear pulled and 2 instantly started pushing new growth. All 4 are survivors. Large mule is fighting for its life and 2 Bizzies most likely dead again =( These are some tough palms. 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

43 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

The great Texas freeze defoliated my quadruple palm. 15° F was the low. I did protect this time with a moving blanket with a planket over it. 2 of them spear pulled and 2 instantly started pushing new growth. All 4 are survivors. Large mule is fighting for its life and 2 Bizzies most likely dead again =( These are some tough palms. 

T J 

No added heat? So essentially it survived unprotected? That's amazing. 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

15 hours ago, Xenon said:

No added heat? So essentially it survived unprotected? That's amazing. 

Yes biggest protection it got was from the freezing rain 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

• 1 year later...

1st pic - October 2021

2nd and 3rd pics - Feb 2022 following freezing ice event and two dips to 19F. (It was covered by no supplemental heat) 

Last pic - July 2022 

20211014_221454.jpg

20220711_133558.jpg

20220212_125157.jpg

20220212_125149.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 1

This photo uploader is driving me nuts. The damn photos won't upload in the proper order, the one at night is from 2021 the rest should be self explanatory. I'm done fighting with it. 

Edited by DAVEinMB