IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Grevillea transplanting

Palm crazy

This summer I planted my first Grevillea, 'poorinda leane' aka 'queen'. Its only a one gallon but starting to bloom and I like to move it to a sunnier spot so it can take full advantage of the little winter sun we get.

My question... It's only been in the ground four months, so would it be ok to transplant now or should I wait a few months? My coldest weather is Dec to mid Feb.

The new spot is somewhat protected from cold winds.

Thanks!

Roger

:D :D :D :D

Edited by Palm crazy

Roger, have to admit i do not know this genus...sorry....

...but just going from the gut, i would leave it alone until spring arrives.

Although the plant may be hardy, it's ability to replace any lost carbohydrate due to transplanting will be diminished by transplanting when it's available energy reserves and replenishment mechanisms are at their lowest level......

If transplanted now, it will have to replace lost carbohydrate during the winter...not the best prospect.

Just a thought :)

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Thanks Rusty, I think I'm going to go for it!

I don't want to set it back by waiting to long. The new planting areas is a warm sunny spot with large shrubs for wind protection. In the new location, it's more at the beginning of a pathway.

Against my better judgement I'm going to move it....if there's one thing I'm really good at is... Transplanting Plants! Wish me luck!

Here's a good website for those looking for more info about hardy Grevilleas. Click here....Grevillea in PNW

Palm crazy!

Ha Ha...the further towards the equator i go, the more cautious i become...!!!! :lol:

BTW...... used to live in Maryland, a nice Zone 7, and always took Tony Avent's advice (from Plant Delights Nursery) :

"I consider every plant hardy unless i have killed it three times!" ...i probably paraphrase...... :hmm:

Go for it, hope you will keep us in the loop on how the plant fares!!!! :D

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

I'd leave it and plant another..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks for the comment Wal. Rusty I think I remember you from the old S.E. Palm board, year ago?

Nice roots looks good.

DSC00001-3.jpg

In its new sunny spot, with flowers developing.

DSC00010-2-2.jpg

Another sunny fogy morning with afternoon sunshine for the next 7 days.

DSC00030-1.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Hey Roger,

Didn't the paint store have enough to paint your house one color?

JUST KIDDING!

Looks good but I would be hesitant transplanting this time of year.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Jerry those were the only colors on sale! :lol: :lol: :lol: Actually the colors are more darker and richer than what they appear in the photos. Compared to the old bleached out yellow house colors, new colors are much nicer and warmer in the winter time. I don't think it would work on a newer home, only ones from the 1800's. :rolleyes:

Now as far as the plant goes I totally agree! This is not the best time to transplant. :hmm:

But after looking at the long range weather (two weeks) and hardiness of the plant and with all our winter rain I felt it would do ok, We just had some tropical rain so the soil is still warm.

In my area the average highs start going up every 10 days on January 7th. Nights only goes up 1 degree in January. If it does get really cold I will protect just incase.

Come on spring!

Roger

Edited by Palm crazy

The Grevillea should be fine. Just keep it moist - it won't mind the wet feet - and give it some B-1 or Superthrive.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Edited Double Post - sorry.

Edited by Justin

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos