IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What do the QUEEN X JUB look like when they get huge?

trioderob

For scale I'm close to six foot, plus my arm raised does not reach the height. The trunk is over a foot now, now how is that for growth in less than three years for a strap leaf seedling?

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

HOLY CRAP!!!!

Gary, that's amazing growth. Your photo has convinced me I have to move mine as it's planted to close to my Butia X Parajubaea.

Dick

Richard Douglas

For scale I'm close to six foot, plus my arm raised does not reach the height. The trunk is over a foot now, now how is that for growth in less than three years for a strap leaf seedling?

Gary

WHOA!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. Looks like I am going to have to make a trip to Cali.

Gary

3 years from strap leaf???!!! :drool:

How does yours compare with the big one I posted before? I'm not seeing much Syagrus in either. They both look like very hairy Jubaeas to me. Maybe very hairy Jubaeas that get to monster size very fast?

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Since the mother is Jubaea you would expect to see a lot of Jubaea which you do. But the leaves are very stiff and very strait, unlike Jubaea. The trunk is hairy for the time being, but I imagine when the leaf bases fall off the trunk will be smoothe and have those cool leaf scars like Jubaea, but that is several years away. The growth rate is amazing, if you search this site you will see when I planted it a couple years ago and it is one of the fastest growing palms in my yard, and considering it has jubaea as the mother, that is saying a lot. Since Syagrus is in it's genetics, I assume this one can be you Floridians answer to have Jubaea growing in your humid conditions.

Gary

Gary

How does yours compare with the big one I posted before? I'm not seeing much Syagrus in either. They both look like very hairy Jubaeas to me. Maybe very hairy Jubaeas that get to monster size very fast?

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Since the mother is Jubaea you would expect to see a lot of Jubaea which you do. But the leaves are very stiff and very strait, unlike Jubaea. The trunk is hairy for the time being, but I imagine when the leaf bases fall off the trunk will be smoothe and have those cool leaf scars like Jubaea, but that is several years away. The growth rate is amazing, if you search this site you will see when I planted it a couple years ago and it is one of the fastest growing palms in my yard, and considering it has jubaea as the mother, that is saying a lot. Since Syagrus is in it's genetics, I assume this one can be you Floridians answer to have Jubaea growing in your humid conditions.

Gary

Gary

I am hoping the Syagrus X Jubaea grows just as quickly.

gary-

that is insane and is it safe to say that yours will be the first trunking SXJ in the world ?

So, basically the same as the big one I posted photos of in post 15? I'm picturing yours looking just like that one in the future.

Gary

Gary

Lows:

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

I don't think mine will be the same palm as the one you posted. The palm you posted is really fat and looks more jubaea like. The cross with queen I have will not get that fat I'm sure. The growth rate and trunk compared to height gives me the impression the jubaea x syagrus I have will be a thinner palm with maybe a two foot thick trunk and longer leaves.

So, basically the same as the big one I posted photos of in post 15? I'm picturing yours looking just like that one in the future.

Gary

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Martin, take a look at how high up the growth point is in the jubaea x syagrus, this is an indication of the ultimate size and shape of the hybrid. If you extrapolate these proportions with the fast growth rate, you can assume this is where the syagrus genes are exhibited, and you will end up with a thinner palm with longer jubaea like leaves in an open crown. Your palm looks more jubaea than hybrid.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Martin, take a look at how high up the growth point is in the jubaea x syagrus, this is an indication of the ultimate size and shape of the hybrid. If you extrapolate these proportions with the fast growth rate, you can assume this is where the syagrus genes are exhibited, and you will end up with a thinner palm with longer jubaea like leaves in an open crown. Your palm looks more jubaea than hybrid.

I see what you are saying. Will be interesting to see how fat the trunk winds up being on it.

Lows:

Jesus mate I thought you were a Kennedy! you know with the tan.. Talk about Hybrid vigor!! mind you Gary you are renowned for palm terioure- you know the french wine term [i hope I don't offend those LATIN BLOKES], when it comes to growing palms when considering you Jubs ect . I like the wall too! I think the price is going to go up once Patrick gets a paunch and has to hire an EWP [elevated work platform aka cherry picker]too get to the inflorescences, either that or import some Islanders used to climbing coconut palms! But seriously Hybrid vigor is about 25% on a pure type,in the first cross, and this works for most life forms including cattle ect. Jubs are slow but a first cross with another temperate palm gives growth a kick in the arse, when it comes to climatic limitations the jury has got to be out. At the end of the day planting species way out of thier zone is a waste of time and resources.l The scarey thing is trying to predict what zone you are going to be in 20 years time!!. EWP

post-5527-000633700 1311172884_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

GARY-

what was the final tally on your jub x queen

what was the total growth for 2011 ?

Edited by trioderob

GARY-

what was the final tally on your jub x queen

what was the total growth for 2011 ?

Must be ten feet tall now, very impressive palm. I also just planted the queen x jubaea right next to it, can't wait to see how it compares.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Holy cow that thing has grown at unbelievable speed. Does Charles still have the biggest one in the world or has it been surpassed?

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Holy cow that thing has grown at unbelievable speed. Does Charles still have the biggest one in the world or has it been surpassed?

Sorry to Charles, but mine is much bigger than his now.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

• 7 months later...

The photos in this thread are about a year old. Any chance of current photos of these crosses, especially Gary's? Please. :-)

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Gary,

In the words of a famous half wit scientologist " Show us the money A photo would be valued and would lead to a good discussion. Good show on your plants

Best regards

Ed

Haha Ed, I will go out in the next day or so and come up with the goods.

Gary,

In the words of a famous half wit scientologist " Show us the money A photo would be valued and would lead to a good discussion. Good show on your plants

Best regards

Ed

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

some explain this to me

why is a SXJ not the same as a JXS ?

The same reason why a B x J looks different from a J x B due to Cytoplasmatic inheritance

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

My Syagrus x Jubaea is totally different, and grows sooooo slow.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

My Syagrus x Jubaea is totally different, and grows sooooo slow.

That is interesting. Both of mine (sj and js) are still in pots, but the sj is growing faster. But, like you said, once you put the js in the ground, it took off. I am tempted to put my js in the ground but it is too small to take on winter.

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Here is Jubaea x Syagrus from July 2009

DSC_2356.jpg

Here it is today, just 3 years later with standard rake leaning on it for scale.

DSC_3266.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

:indifferent: Pretty average growth really "yawn "

just kidding ! :drool: Unbelievable !!

I remember seeing this palm at Gary's in Sept 2010 and it was just above my waist ( i am 5'10 ) .

I remember Gary saying " i got a call from Patrick Schaffer sayin hey Gary i see you grow stuff good so i am going to give you one of these to try "

The rest is history !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I've never visited Mdm. Ganna Walska's " Lotus Land", but photos of a two very old rows of Jubaea were quite interesting. Photos of these appeared on one of the boards about in the late sixties. One of the palms in the first row was somewhat different and was suspected to be Syagrus [queen] X Jubaea. We'd be extremely grateful to anyone who can further enlighten us about this very old palm!

Best Wishes,

merrill

Gary.THANK YOU!!! Unbelievable! OK..so I may plant out my JS today! Hope it can take 100+ temps.

Merrill---Nice to see you post. Hope you are doing well.

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Gary: That's just inconceivable to me. Any pics of the Attalea dubia?

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

This palm is going to be monolythic , if it grows better than butyagrus in heat challenged locations too then it would be the ultimate cold hardy palm.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

OMG!!! WOW!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Thanks everyone. I got to say, I'm not impressed with most palms in so cal, including my own, because most of them always look better in Hawaii or somewhere else anyway. But I love my Jubaea x Syagrus, I never get sick of going into the garden to look at it, it is so impressive in both growth and beauty. I'm dying now to see what it will look like with trunk.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

He showed us the money Good show Gary ---very disinstinctive flat leaves

Best wishes

Ed

Here are the updated photos, and yes it will live up to the hype. I am first posting the photo from last year, then the photo I just took. Yes, that is less than one year growth for a plant with Jubaea as the mom.

Jubaea x Syagrus 2010

IMG_1015.jpg

Jubaea x Syagrus 2011

DSC_3177.jpg

Sorry about the orange color, my camera took a bad picture, in person this palm lives up to and beyond the hype.

Gary

Richard Douglas

Just from seeing the lower juvenile fronds and then the later growth, one can see how fast Gary's palm is growing. I have one about half the size of Gary's and It didn't really start growing until I put it in the ground..........then it really speeded up. This might prove to be the best Cocoid hybridy yet, however Im partial to my Butia X Parajubaea.

Dick.

Richard Douglas

Glad to see your still posting on the forum, hope all in your life is good. For your question Merrill, I have never been to Lotus Land but have heard a lot about the place, and you have given me motivation to go see it and try to find the palm in question. I also went back to my friends house and the other locations where the other F2 xButyagrus siblings of my strange Huntington xButiagrus were located. The palms were dug out of the yard and no longer there, so it is unfortunate I will never know what they now look like for comparison to mine.

Once again, good hearing from you,

Gary

I've never visited Mdm. Ganna Walska's " Lotus Land", but photos of a two very old rows of Jubaea were quite interesting. Photos of these appeared on one of the boards about in the late sixties. One of the palms in the first row was somewhat different and was suspected to be Syagrus [queen] X Jubaea. We'd be extremely grateful to anyone who can further enlighten us about this very old palm!

Best Wishes,

merrill

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Your Butia x Parajubaea is one spectacular palm as well. It's never easy to get the true flavor of a palm unless you see it in person, I hope to be able to see your beauty live in the flesh some day. But there is no question my top three favorite hybrids are the Huntington xButyagrus, my Syagrus x Jubaea, and your Butia x Parajubaea. Those are all amazing palms and i'm sure Patrick will continue making magic.

Gary

Just from seeing the lower juvenile fronds and then the later growth, one can see how fast Gary's palm is growing. I have one about half the size of Gary's and It didn't really start growing until I put it in the ground..........then it really speeded up. This might prove to be the best Cocoid hybridy yet, however Im partial to my Butia X Parajubaea.

Dick.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

You should plant it. My temps have been over 100F at least for ten days every summer and the palm didn't flinch. Until it's rooted in you can put a shade cloth over it on the very hot days for added protection, but after three months it will be twice the size and should have no issues.

Gary

Gary.THANK YOU!!! Unbelievable! OK..so I may plant out my JS today! Hope it can take 100+ temps.

Merrill---Nice to see you post. Hope you are doing well.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

• 2 months later...