IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 12th Annual Fall Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza

Palmarum

That looks like so much fun!!! Wish I was there being a consumer. So, tell me......what is so special about this particular sale? Is it a once a year thing with prices marked down? I guess I want to know what draws so many people during this particular event.

John- In addition to the general "buzz" about the event, The nursery is not traditionally open for retail sales, so when it is, the people flock in.... PLUS, many of those rare palms that come up for sale are from Jeff's personal collection. One thing I truely admire about Jeff, when he gets the cool stuff, the FIRST place they get tried, is at his house! If he has "too many" or has had poor luck with some, the spares are offered up for sale. :) So its not the "chaff"!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hey wait! I just read the FULL title to this thread!....:blink:

Jerry- Yep, I'm jealous... I have the same, just not "south Florida size". :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It was great meeting you as well. Make sure you put up some pics when you get them all in the ground.

Tom

Jerry had quite the hall. I stood in the holding area talking to him and drolling over his area. Are you sure there is not another 7 gallon mealy around?

It was good meeting you Tom. Yes, I spent much more money than I was planning on, but that's how it goes at one of Jeff's sales. I still haven't quite figured out how he does it, but it seems like he can get a palm through that "seedling" stage much quicker than i can. He must be pumping some kind of steroids through his irrigation system. ???

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Love those dacks PalmatierMeg, brilliant work again Ryan. You should be the official photographic journo at the Hawaii spectacular next year.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hey wait! I just read the FULL title to this thread!....:blink:

:floor: :floor: :floor:

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

- 8:06AM: Serious collectors bring their paperwork with them. FM. Tim O'Neill (ThunderSRQ) sorts through his lists and enlists the help of Judy Glock to help him find the crotons he needs.

RDG2010-10-01_08-06-14.jpg

Actually, we were discussing our fantasy football picks and exchanging home-made biscuit recipes... :rolleyes:

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

- 8:34AM: The side road had various plants for sale mixed in with the different landscape ornamentals that show what some of the plants will look like when they get older. There are always different common and rare species that get added to the landscape over time, including the batch Bill Sanford added in the spring (which are all alive by the way). The large palm in the center is a Cuban Belly Palm, Acrocomia crispa and a still-flowering Raphia australis is towards the left, shading the holding area.

RDG2010-10-01_08-34-23.jpg

- Just as new plants arrived to the holding area, a group is loaded and heading for the checkout. A common process that took place throughout the event. I noticed a few groups that were slowly added to over all three days. The root covered trunk of the Raphia australis can be seen on the left.

RDG2010-10-01_08-34-53.jpg

- 8:35AM: The block of landscape palms across from the holding area is one of the first group of plants seen by customers and holds the more common and most dependable species. One large Foxtail Palm, Wodyetia bifurcata, is loaded onto the next trailer heading to the registers while customers make their way to and fro. Jeff can be seen on the left, smiling about something, I didn't know what...

RDG2010-10-01_08-35-26.jpg

- The larger, colorful plant on this customer's cart is Variegated Spiral Crepe Ginger, Costus speciosus cv. 'Fosters Variegated', and was a popular plant due to its foliage and blooms, which had great timing this sale.

RDG2010-10-01_08-35-34.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:39AM: The larger and more unusual palms within the shadehouse started to find their ways onto carts. This steadily increased as the morning went on. I am not sure about which palm that was at the front of this customer's conveyance, but the one at the rear is unmistakable as the juvenile leaves of a Beccariophoenix sp. 'Windows' (madagascariensis) can be spotted anywhere.

RDG2010-10-01_08-39-22.jpg

- 9:27AM: Landscape designer Candace (Candy) Leggett could be seen all over the sales area, as she was helping customers with design ideas and landscape solutions. Bromeliads have to be one of her favorite plants as she was in this section often during the weekend. That fan palm in the background behind them is a very old clump of Licuala spinosa that Jeff planted next to the original fiberglass shadehouse many years ago.

RDG2010-10-01_09-27-53.jpg

- 9:28AM: I spotted these two carts in the holding area and even thought they seem to be part of the same group, they each held vastly different plant choices. The cart on the left held a large Mammey Croton, an Ebony plant, Eranthemum nigrum, a Queen's Wreath vine, Petrea volubilis and a variety of Juniper. Not rare plants by any means, while the right-hand cart held a 7 gallon Ravenea xerophila, a 3 gal. Johannesteijsmannia perakensis, a 3 gal Nannorrhops ritchieana and a large Encephalartos species, which might have been E. turneri or E. munchii. Two minds at work here, me thinks...

RDG2010-10-01_09-28-10.jpg

- 9:38AM: Attempts to keep the sidewalk full were in vain, as it seems large holes were appearing where once stood palms of different sizes.

RDG2010-10-01_09-38-05.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

That looks like so much fun!!! Wish I was there being a consumer. So, tell me......what is so special about this particular sale? Is it a once a year thing with prices marked down? I guess I want to know what draws so many people during this particular event.

John- In addition to the general "buzz" about the event, The nursery is not traditionally open for retail sales, so when it is, the people flock in.... PLUS, many of those rare palms that come up for sale are from Jeff's personal collection. One thing I truely admire about Jeff, when he gets the cool stuff, the FIRST place they get tried, is at his house! If he has "too many" or has had poor luck with some, the spares are offered up for sale. :) So its not the "chaff"!

Suh-weet!! B)

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

- 9:40AM: The nine o'clock hour was winding down, putting an end to the first two exhaustive hours of the Extravaganza; yet the activity was heating up as the sun was rising and more Forum members and customers continued to arrive. While FMs. Ron Kiefert (moose knuckle) and Nyssa (SunnyFl) discuss the remaining crotons on the right, two first-time attendees to the Extravaganza make their appearance...

RDG2010-10-01_09-40-20.jpg

- I turned quickly to find that customers had begun placing flagging tape on plants along the sidewalk, in an attempt to claim them before others could. We usually don't recommend tagging the plants, as anyone could remove the tape and grab the plant, but if you are going to quickly come back with a cart and round them up then it may work out.

RDG2010-10-01_09-40-30.jpg

- 9:51AM: Long time Forum member and first time 'Ganza attendee, Bren (junglegalfla) looks over the Crotons with help from volunteer Judy Glock.

RDG2010-10-01_09-51-51.jpg

- 9:53AM: Just outside, FM. Jeff Anderson (Jeff in Costa Rica) who braved the weather-soaked roads, highways and airports of Costa Rica to be with us at the sale this weekend, was being given a short tour by Ron.

RDG2010-10-01_09-53-13.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:54AM: "Busy, Busy." Whenever I hear the noise levels rise outside the shadehouse, I have to go see what is going on. It is the combined sounds of sale chatter, carts rolling on the gravel, or the occasional laugh or cheer.

RDG2010-10-01_09-54-04.jpg

- 9:57AM: One customer who had flagged a few things was ready to check out so Jeff and a few workers started to pull them from the sidewalk and place them on this trailer. It was getting full fast, as the Copernicia curbeloi and the Coccothrinax sp. were taking up space. That species might have been an 'Azul' but I am not sure. The shorter, robust palm on the corner is a Dypsis hovomantsina with a Raphia taedigera in behind with the orange petioles.

RDG2010-10-01_09-57-25.jpg

- 9:58AM: A worker helps by hauling out a Burretiokentia vieillardii that was recently tagged in a hurry.

RDG2010-10-01_09-58-23.jpg

- 10:00AM: I need to figure out a way to use car headlights for illumination as I seem to get that 'deer in headlight' look too often. I did surprise Jeff though in his defense as he and the worker had quickly grabbed this Pelagodoxa henryana and headed outside, giving me seconds to aim and shoot.

RDG2010-10-01_10-00-40.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:00AM: You saw it coming, now you see it leaving... The Pelagodoxa henryana gets carried on out to the waiting trailer with speed.

RDG2010-10-01_10-00-48.jpg

- 10:01AM: FM. Bren (junglegalfla) and volunteer, IPS Director and FM. Ray Hernandez (Ray Tampa) discuss everything palm and croton related. For those who may remember, they were both key personnel on Bus #1 during the Costa Rican Biennial in 2008. They were unfortunately not on the best bus however...

RDG2010-10-01_10-01-15.jpg

- Local landscaper Stan Wood looks through the Variegated Swiss Cheese Plants, Monstera deliciosa cv. albo marginata. The leaves on this cultivar seem to grow larger than ones found on the standard species.

RDG2010-10-01_10-01-21.jpg

- Here goes one of the very plants I mentioned in the For Sale topic, the Colpothrinax wrightii. This species has become increasingly rare in cultivation as of late and I hope it went to a great home.

RDG2010-10-01_10-01-40.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:02AM: It is amazing how many palms you can get onto one trailer, with room to spare...

RDG2010-10-01_10-02-10.jpg

- 10:03AM: FM. Tom C. (tikitiki) and his family look through the sales area just outside the side entrance to the shadehouse. His youngest son seemed worried about something, I hope it wasn't caterpillars he was thinking about.

RDG2010-10-01_10-03-51.jpg

- 10:14AM: Two old school pros run into each other during Friday afternoon. South Florida Palm collector veteran, grower and vendor Shirley Mayotte met up with collector Dr. Jeff Chait. Jeff was one of the hosts for the last SFPS tour down in Miami, you might remember all the roses he grows in his collection.

RDG2010-10-01_10-14-15.jpg

- 10:16AM: The tropical flowering trees were picked through quite well during the sale, as you can't go wrong with colorful flowers in your yard. These customers look over the Pom-Pom Bushes, Montanoa bipinnatifida, and figure out where they could go in their landscape.

RDG2010-10-01_10-16-00.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:40AM: This cart is getting a bit full and it is time to call in reinforcements...

RDG2010-10-01_11-40-03.jpg

- As the customers go over their checklists a call went out for a golf cart and trailer to come help them with all the other plants they want to get.

RDG2010-10-01_11-40-06.jpg

- 11:48AM: A few minutes later volunteer Shane Tanner arrived with an empty trailer, ready to fill it up. Scott came over to give a hand and Ray supervised...

RDG2010-10-01_11-48-09.jpg

- Shane had to take the golf cart down to turn around and to allow customer traffic to pass the intersection. I have noticed when a couple people gather around a plant and show enthusiasm, it causes others to come over and add to the group, and so on.

RDG2010-10-01_11-48-48.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:49AM: In the middle of transferring the plants over to the trailer, the customers decided to get this Triangle Palm, Dypsis decaryi, that was across the road. Shane and Scott were more than happy to oblige. I think one of them wasn't lifting that much.

RDG2010-10-01_11-49-45.jpg

- 11:50AM: "Arrggh!" Scott does his best to not pass gas in front of the customers while moving this Pseudophoenix vinifera...

RDG2010-10-01_11-50-14.jpg

- 11:52AM: While plants were being moved over, the customers grabbed a 7 gallon Red Sealing Wax Palm, Cyrtostachys renda. The impulse shopping never ends...

RDG2010-10-01_11-52-59.jpg

- 12:41PM: Having volunteer Crafton Clift around is unique as he has insight to all aspects of plant usage around the world and their history in cultivation.

RDG2010-10-01_12-41-54.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:45PM: Bromeliads were very popular as usual, and their temporary location had no effect on customers finding them. At least they are easy to restock.

RDG2010-10-01_12-45-00.jpg

- 1:14PM: Caught 'em! Caught him doing what I do not know, but FM. Dave Martin (Dave-Vero) was acting suspicious and sneaking around the shadehouse. I think he was eyeing some of the Rhapis specimens.

RDG2010-10-01_13-14-12.jpg

- 1:18PM: It was well past noon and people were still arguing croton identification, even with the fewer cultivars left to look at.

RDG2010-10-01_13-18-54.jpg

- 5:05PM: Friday afternoon slowed down as the majority of attendance were very early morning die-hard collectors and later morning enthusiasts who both had left by late afternoon. I was taking some group shots before we left for Jeff's house for the 'Post Tour' or 'After-Party' when someone got in my way...

RDG2010-10-01_17-05-19.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

waykoolplantz

Bill...we'll need to see you in the spring ...leave a spare TVR at my house

I am sure he has an extra one he can bring over, it might not run, but he could leave it...

- 5:54PM: It was time for the traditional after sale tour over at Jeff's house, for plant talk and good food. We all arrived at different times so we wandered around until we met up into one group. Friday was a great day of the Extravaganza and it was good to see everyone relax and eat tons of food. When I entered the yard, I wanted to take a few shots of the Cuban Petticoat Palm, Copernicia macroglossa, that has its own spot in the backyard. It was planted a while ago and has since grown tremendously well in this location. It steadily gets larger year after year and flowers and sets good seed on a regular basis. This is a picture of a happy palm.

RDG2010-10-01_17-54-54.jpg

- 6:11PM: In addition to the palms, we also looked over the huge croton collection Jeff has in his yard. This image depicts both the joy and bane of the croton world. The leaves in the outer parts of the image show the normal color for this croton, while the unique set in the center are from a 'sport', or differentiated out-growth that has mutated its own color scheme to being different. This is one way how new cultivars are born.

RDG2010-10-01_18-11-30.jpg

- 6:19PM: The tour continued through the back part of the yard where everyone talked plants and argued plants. I think the drinking effected the latter action. Jim & Judy Glock tease Jeff about everything, while Rob, Scott and Ron tag along and observe the humor while dinner was getting ready inside. I am not sure why Jeff had two different drinks, one in each hand.

RDG2010-10-01_18-19-38.jpg

- 6:27PM: The tour made its way through "Palm Circle" and when we emerged we met up with FMs. Bren (junglegalfla) and Jeff Anderson (Jeff from Costa Rica) who were invited to join us after their own afternoon tour.

RDG2010-10-01_18-27-23.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 6:33PM: With having Jeff Anderson and Bren here, I had to get a few posed photos of both while they tour Jeff's yard. In Palm Circle, the Kerriodoxa elegans looked very well so I had Jeff Anderson get in the crown and hold the newer leaf back slightly, to show the white underside.

RDG2010-10-01_18-33-21.jpg

- Next it was Bren's turn and she jumped at the chance to pose with the palm.

RDG2010-10-01_18-33-45.jpg

- 6:39PM: We moved through a few sections of the yard and Bren noticed the large clump of Angel Mist, or Ghost Bamboo, Dendrocalamus minor var. amoenus.

RDG2010-10-01_18-39-49.jpg

- 6:40PM: Jeff Anderson joined Bren in this photo and we noted how this was a popular bamboo in many collections. It has a unique high-branching habit that allows it to show off more of the brightly colored culms.

RDG2010-10-01_18-40-39.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 6:54PM: Scott has a strange reaction to animals when he is around them. In this instance, he wanted to take a closeup look at Jeff's collection of tortoises, namely his African Spur-Thighed Tortoises, Testudo graeca. He pulled this smaller one out of its housing and held it up then looked for the really big one...

RDG2010-10-01_18-54-45.jpg

- 6:56PM: After a few minutes of wrestling with him, Scott held up the largest of the three. He estimated the weight at "heavy". He quickly put him down so he didn't drop him.

RDG2010-10-01_18-56-02.jpg

- "Grr... keep that tall dork away from me, grrr..."

RDG2010-10-01_18-56-28.jpg

- 7:35PM: For the first time, the Extravaganza had small mammals for sale. Jeff and Andrea's two Albino Hedgehogs, or African Pigmy Hedgehogs (Atelerix albiventris x algirus) had four babies about eight weeks ago. These were the last two left after Friday and they were sold as of Sunday. They make great pets and were a popular attraction for customers.

RDG2010-10-01_19-35-18.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:45PM: The evening for many started to wind down after an incredible spread of food. We were all stuffed, so while some sought refuge in the dinning room or kitchen, a few went outside to burn off calories playing table tennis. We didn't have Bill Sanford on a unicycle, so we did the best we could. There is a heated rivalry between a few players and it can make for some entertaining Pong action. The first game was between Jeff and Scott, who had played against each other often, on and off over the past few years. Shane was referee, kinda.

RDG2010-10-01_19-45-38.jpg

- 7:46PM: For years, Scott had never been able to beat Jeff even once, until now. His expression shows how the curse had been lifted. His collegiate studies in the sport had paid off.

RDG2010-10-01_19-46-13.jpg

- Jeff wanted a rematch of course...

RDG2010-10-01_19-46-51.jpg

Saturday turned out to have great attendance and even better weather, those photos are next...

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan, excelent pictures with excelent subtitles! Great work!

I wish i could have been there! :(

Edited by rafael

- Saturday, 7:12AM: The next morning saw cool temperatures and a brisk walk through the shadehouse gave a good overview of what plants were sold and which ones needed to be restocked, if possible. There were more crotons available, just not more of every cultivar. They were pulled and added to the section during the morning hours.

RDG2010-10-02_07-12-52.jpg

- 7:13AM: Turning around, the section with the aroids and foliage plants was picked through well during Friday but it was nothing compared to what will happen today.

RDG2010-10-02_07-13-19.jpg

- 9:17AM: The sale opened with a few people at the gate at 8:00AM. The first hour was light with customers as it always is, so we used the time to get more restocking done. "Hmm..." The customer on the right has a lot of things to ponder as she listens to volunteer and FM. Jim Glock (jglock1) describe her plant choices.

RDG2010-10-02_09-17-01.jpg

- 9:26AM: No cart, no problem. A customer does things the old fashion way while lifting and hauling a 7 gallon Chambeyronia macrocarpa to the holding area.

RDG2010-10-02_09-26-23.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:30AM: The larger leafed Aroids are popular with those looking to make their yards look like a rainforest, and in a hurry.

RDG2010-10-02_09-30-21.jpg

- 9:35AM: The flow of customers began to increase sharply as we got closer to ten o'clock. The free BBQ lunch was still over an hour away but a few had asked about it as they shopped through the section with the landscape ornamentals.

RDG2010-10-02_09-35-20.jpg

- 9:36AM: Customers come in, and plants go out. The pattern was the same all day, but the flow was increasing.

RDG2010-10-02_09-36-13.jpg

- 9:37AM: On the right, Michelle Searle writes up the list of plants on a receipt as the customers wait as the line moves forward. They were getting a few different sized Christmas Palms, Adonidia merrillii, in addition to a few Black Elephant Ears, Alocasia macrorrhizos, and an Acalypha variety.

RDG2010-10-02_09-37-03.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:39AM: Volunteers Naftali Ramirez and Shane Tanner spend time talking about Shane's time in the Army Reserve while waiting for the next group of plants to leave the holding area.

RDG2010-10-02_09-39-48.jpg

- 9:40AM: "Next!" The procession through the registers proceeded like clockwork even during these early hours of the day.

RDG2010-10-02_09-40-35.jpg

- 9:41AM: Underneath the overhang where the registers are setup, the bin holding the Albino Hedgehogs was a popular attraction throughout the day. Customers got to handle them and pet them as it helps to get the younger ones accustomed to being handled by people. There was also homemade fudge for sale...

RDG2010-10-02_09-41-09.jpg

- 9:43AM: Don't let the placid demeanor fool you, that is one incredible guard dog in a small package. Volunteer Missy takes a moment to pose with Dumbo in between writing receipts.

RDG2010-10-02_09-43-05.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:46AM: Volunteer Colleen Hendrix describes the care needed for a pair of Aechmea 'Del Mar' bromeliads. They are scaled-down hybrids of the popular 'Blue Tango' cultivar. Larry Searle rushes past on the right restocking the plants.

RDG2010-10-02_09-46-22.jpg

- 9:47AM: A trailer full of new plants was brought up a moment earlier to refill the supply of the high-demand Bromeliads.

RDG2010-10-02_09-47-28.jpg

- 9:48AM: It was a rush to unload them as the trailer was blocking the path. A typical scene during the day.

RDG2010-10-02_09-48-43.jpg

- 9:49AM: When you get enough plant-minded people and Forum members together, everything is discussed. From the best croton cultivars and rarest palms to Biennials and trips, and so on... A meeting of the minds takes place between FMs. Jim Glock (jglock1), Jeff Cramer (street124), Jeff Searle and Mike Harris (waykoolplantz) who was in his second day of attendance.

RDG2010-10-02_09-49-44.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:49AM: "You can put one here and five there..." Working with customer-provided drawings is easy for designer Candy as she knows what plants can go where.

RDG2010-10-02_09-49-54.jpg

- 9:50AM: Croton expert Judy Glock wasn't going to be satisfied unless the entire section was empty. She was helping this customer choose between this cultivar and another one to the left.

RDG2010-10-02_09-50-34.jpg

- 9:51AM: It's fun to watch how enthusiasts can enthrall each other into buying the same plants they would have.

RDG2010-10-02_09-51-15.jpg

- 9:55AM: Missy and Jeff's neighbor Jill get into the plant selling action as they describe the Purple Curcuma to this eager customer.

RDG2010-10-02_09-55-07.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:56AM: Decisions, decisions... After switching back and forth, this family grabs a new croton for their yard. One thing about the Extravaganza, you can take your time thinking about plants... until someone else grabs it or closing time comes...

RDG2010-10-02_09-56-31.jpg

- 9:58AM: Listening to Crafton describe plants is like listening to music.

RDG2010-10-02_09-58-06.jpg

- 10:01AM: [Warning: Brain fart in progress] Scott Cohen is very good with an array of different plant groups, but he has his limits. When he was asked too many questions at once, his brain locked up like a worn-out transmission...

RDG2010-10-02_10-01-03.jpg

- 11:17AM: Lunch had started, and after grabbing a quick bite I returned to the shadehouse to find it busy.

RDG2010-10-02_11-17-22.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:17AM: I heard the crowd noise outside the shadehouse entrance grow louder, and I knew it had to be food related...

RDG2010-10-02_11-17-30.jpg

- 11:20AM: ...When I made it outside, the BBQ smoke was filling the sales area. It was drawing people over while hypnotizing them.

RDG2010-10-02_11-20-59.jpg

- 11:21AM: Those who had already had an early lunch resumed plant shopping, as you could always go back for more fuel.

RDG2010-10-02_11-21-05.jpg

- The seating area under the barn was getting full quick and more people got in line for lunch.

RDG2010-10-02_11-21-10.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:45PM: The evening for many started to wind down after an incredible spread of food. We were all stuffed, so while some sought refuge in the dinning room or kitchen, a few went outside to burn off calories playing table tennis. We didn't have Bill Sanford on a unicycle, so we did the best we could. There is a heated rivalry between a few players and it can make for some entertaining Pong action. The first game was between Jeff and Scott, who had played against each other often, on and off over the past few years. Shane was referee, kinda.

RDG2010-10-01_19-45-38.jpg

WOW -- I had no idea there was table tennis action at Jeff's house after the sale -- count me in for the after-party next time around!

Tim

That was a great day! Thanks for the hospitality Jeff! We really enjoyed spending some time with your family and friends.

Looks like there are a ton of croton lovers out there. That area looked totally picked over. Glad I was to snag a few when I did!

P.S. Ryan, I only object to a a couple of my photos :lol: Great job as always on documenting!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

That was a great day! Thanks for the hospitality Jeff! We really enjoyed spending some time with your family and friends.

Looks like there are a ton of croton lovers out there. That area looked totally picked over. Glad I was to snag a few when I did!

P.S. Ryan, I only object to a a couple of my photos :lol: Great job as always on documenting!

Bren,

It's people like yourself that make this event so fun and enjoyable! Thanks so much for making the long drive down and then being a part of it. We all appreciate it!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The nursery is not traditionally open for retail sales....

I didn't realize that. So are the Searle's wholesale growers? The variety, size and sheer numbers of plants I see in Ryan's photos is very impressive.

WOW -- I had no idea there was table tennis action at Jeff's house after the sale -- count me in for the after-party next time around!

Tim

- 6:54PM: Scott has a strange reaction to animals when he is around them. In this instance, he wanted to take a closeup look at Jeff's collection of tortoises, namely his African Spur-Thighed Tortoises, Testudo graeca.

RDG2010-10-01_18-54-45.jpg

This is actualy illegal in most states.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

LJG

This is actualy illegal in most states.

Well, Scott has spent a lot of time in Missouri the past year or so...

- 11:21AM: Time for lunch to start, a bit early, but when plant people are hungry you got to feed them as soon as you can.

RDG2010-10-02_11-21-23.jpg

- The other seating area in behind the cooking area (where the palms are) was redone a few weeks ago, but both areas fill up fast as seating is limited. I often get asked plant questions in regards to the flowering trees and heliconias located across the road as I am taking photos and grabbing lunch.

RDG2010-10-02_11-21-58.jpg

- 11:22AM: Yumm... the food portal... The window area on the right serves as the pass through spot for freshly grilled hotdogs and hamburgers.

RDG2010-10-02_11-22-01.jpg

- 11:27AM: The parking lot trend takes form as those taking a break from shopping want to keep their carts in view as they eat.

RDG2010-10-02_11-27-05.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:27AM: The lunch crowd was larger than usual for Saturday before noon. Even though the weather was ideal and not too hot, we actually ran out of bottled water and we had to rush out to get more before Sunday.

RDG2010-10-02_11-27-32.jpg

- 11:28AM: Crafton dives into each question like he was hunting for the Lost Ark. He commented later in the day, on how much he enjoys "...actually talking plants with true plant people."

RDG2010-10-02_11-28-04.jpg

- I had to keep moving around, so I didn't get stuck somewhere.

RDG2010-10-02_11-28-17.jpg

- I tried to get back to the intersection at the center of the shadehouse, but I was unsuccessful. I had to wait for it to clear for a second...

RDG2010-10-02_11-28-20.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:28AM: We had to keep track of what plants were selling more than others and we tried to predict when they should be restocked. Certain groups have limited quantities so when they sell out we often move something over into the new empty spot. Its like chess, but with tropical plants.

RDG2010-10-02_11-28-23.jpg

- "Straight up this way." Crafton is a local legend when it comes to grafting trees so he doesn't hesitate to educate and inform people on how to do it. Silk Floss Trees, Ceiba speciosa, are his specialty.

RDG2010-10-02_11-28-52.jpg

- 11:29AM: The crowd was a good mix of collector, enthusiast and landscaping homeowner so it was nice to see such a mix of plants on everyone's cart.

RDG2010-10-02_11-29-07.jpg

- 12:27PM: As I made it inside for a brief moment, I turned to see a line of customers using the same gap I did to get inside the shadehouse.

RDG2010-10-02_12-27-56.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:31PM: Saturday reached past the halfway mark and the activity was going strong, including the lunch line at the barn.

RDG2010-10-02_12-31-28.jpg

RDG2010-10-02_12-31-31.jpg

- 12:40PM: A solitary Fishtail Palm, Caryota sp., gets loaded onto the next trailer bound for the parking lot. One trailer load of plants could belong to a few different customers, sharing the same trip through the registers.

RDG2010-10-02_12-40-04.jpg

- I did a 180º turn to find Larry Searle on the left describing Podocarpus and its great use as a hedge.

RDG2010-10-02_12-40-11.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Page 3 bump here..don't mind me.:rolleyes: