IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Check out the Stealth on my dead Silk Floss

BeerPlant

I thought the spikes didnt look right to me......

post-3381-12820181014095_thumb.jpg

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

wow did that moth eat the whole tree?

:mrlooney:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Stealthy :rolleyes: What happened to your silk floss, the cold? If so, what temp got her?

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Stealthy rolleyes.gif What happened to your silk floss, the cold? If so, what temp got her?

Matt

My Silk Floss, about half that size, was all but killed by 3 nights near 20 degrees. Technically it did survive, but would have been so scarred and ugly, that any real health was beyond any reasonable recovery. I backed the truck up, pulled out my tow strap, hitched to the tree and trailor hitch and off I went. It is my favorite method of tree removal, lol.

One word of caution. Never try this method on a palm. I tried it with a relatively small P. robellini. Thank god the strap broke, otherwise I might have lost the rear bumper.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Stealthy :rolleyes: What happened to your silk floss, the cold? If so, what temp got her?

Matt

All of them in our area saw some pretty good damage but all recovered. It was a fungus that got it. I have another one waiting in the wings to be planted so I figured I would replant in a different spot. I had this one near a water source and man that thing grew like a bamboo - it made me too nervous that it would get too big in the spot that I planted it. More room for palms now.

Bill

Great, thank you for the information Kieth and Bill, looks like they have a chance at my place.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

freakypalmguy,

Also to note we an absolutely huge one near us, I can only guess but it has to be more then 20 years old but I think I am being conservative and its near an area that may have seen colder temperatures then I saw. It was damaged but recovering nicely and it puts on the biggest bloom display in the area (I never got pictures though).

Bill

Hmm.

Looks like a sphinx moth of some kind. (Hornworm caterpillar . .. .)

Chorisias are cool, but, like Hai Karate aftershave, you need to be careful how you use them.

They can get really huge, to 100 feet (33 m) or more, with trunks to 6 feet (2 m) thick, and all of those spines. Plus, they have massive surface roots.

But oh! Those flowers, for months on end, like a huge cloud of pink hibiscus blossoms filling the sky . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.