IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca Vestiaria in Southern Cal?

Just1MorePalm

Cultivated Palms by Riffle and Craft is written by two knowledgable authors who have lots of experience with growing palms in Florida... and perhaps Texas. But zone 10a in Florida is worlds away from 10a in California (the two zones have nothing in common other than their low temperature extremes). This palm, along with over a dozen other 10a palms in Florida, does not do well here in California, no matter what zone it can survive in Florida. So when you are reading about palms that survive zone 10a in that book, realize that means 10a Florida, not California. Still has yet to be a good general book on palms written by someone from the west coast (Hodel needs to write such a book!).

We had several Areca vestiaria growing here that did well for several years tolerating dips into the low 30s. We had 2 clustering forms, one single trunked form and a maroon leaf form. All were wiped out last winter, they couldn't handle the prolonged cool/cold. One clustering form was a good sized plant, about 6ft and it completely died too, no suckers even came back. But A. triandra growing nearby had virtually no damage and a small A. catechu survived but was defoliated.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Well Joe I hope it works out for you. Larger specimens might stand a chance. Though, I don't hold out a ton of hope longterm for a palm that has trouble getting through one winter. Enjoy it while it lasts. It sure looks great.

Larger plants are not available...the Color is off because it came from Hawaii and went directly into into a Hot house...It was living in ideal conditions next to a 10 foot Cyrtostachys renda...Also as we were loading the palm into my truck last year the sales guy commented what a nice palm it was and then asked "will I grow it indoors?"...I just smiled and said "for awhile"...So I figured it would be a challenge to keep lush planted out...but so far its held its own and looks pretty good considering those factors...I cant worry too much about the long term(you could say that about many other palms in my yard too)...The long term will take care of itself...but so far I like my chances in the short term with this one...70f highs and 45f lows predicted for the next 10days...that is good news...I can enjoy it for another week...

• 2 years later...

Here is a picture from the end of summer 2013...Don't worry, I picked the weeds added added a layer of mulch since this picture was taken...

But as you can see its doing OK for 3 yrs in the ground and 2 transplants...It will be attacked by palm aphids and mealy bug if I don't spray soapy water on it every so often...enjoy

post-4259-0-56088500-1389632585_thumb.jp

Wow! That's awesome!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks...MattyB...

It has surprised me too...It still has never looked as good as the day I brought it home...But, good enough to keep...for now...

Happy Growing...

Mr. Dirt, you are in one of the few places in So Cal where an A. vestie will survive at all. There are other species (like Pinanga caesia) that will also make it, due in large part to the extra humidity we just don't keep further inland, except for really aggressive micro-efforts.

The odd low temp isn't nearly as bad as month after month of nights in the 50s F and below, plus low relative humidity.

Shooting a bit of humidity karma your way . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here is a picture from the end of summer 2013...Don't worry, I picked the weeds added added a layer of mulch since this picture was taken...

But as you can see its doing OK for 3 yrs in the ground and 2 transplants...It will be attacked by palm aphids and mealy bug if I don't spray soapy water on it every so often...enjoy

Very nice. I call this a success story. :)

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Congrats! Doubt anyone else has one actually in the dirt growing here. I am sure the great winter we are having will propel it even further for next year.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I'm impressed, let me ask you, does yours get any fungus spots on the leaves, because it's a problem I have growing them in the shadehouse with overhead irrigation?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Areca vestiaria are some of the nicest palms along with Cyrtostachys renda.

Congratulations for growing it in South Cal.

In the Wilson Botanical Garden in Costa Rica A.vestiarias grow very well at an elevation of 1250 meters above sea level.The higher the elevation, the better the red.colouring.

Yours is doing fine.

Thank you everyone for the kind words...

I'm not sure I would strike up band just yet and call this a success story...This palm is far from a robust grower...I have lost several of the suckers to aphid infestations...

Our warm winter days have helped, but way to dry...and the night temps are 43-48...So that's not great either...but, through it all it is still pushing new leaves...So we have hope...

Jeff...the leaves have a few spots...not many...I don't know why...I don't think they are fungus spots...they are not uniform...

This plant gets only drip irrigation...the leaves will get wet from fog at night...

Joe Dirt. Your Areca looks amazing. They can adapt to dry air fairly well if it's not really hot. Mine is growing in a bedroom window and is three feet tall with a few suckers and the relative humidity often is below 30% most of the year and sometimes in the teens and my vestiaria never stops pushing new leaves. It's a constant 67F this time of year and I bring the plant outside occasionally during really warm weather and place it in the shade. Unfortunately I know it could never be grown in the ground in my garden but it's the only indoor palm I own.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

My hat is off to all of you who do your best to grow palms in cold climates!

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Wow... that is impressive... but this is also one of the warmest winters I can recall in southern California... we'll see how these do in a few years and a few cold snaps later... but they sure look great now.

I'm impressed, let me ask you, does yours get any fungus spots on the leaves, because it's a problem I have growing them in the shadehouse with overhead irrigation?

Jeff, I am having the same fungus problem. I don't remember ever having a solid green leaf. The moment the lose all of their red color, the fungus spots start to appear. I also have overhead irrigation. Something that the HOA runs and I don't have any control over. My orange A. vestiaria clump however does not have this issue. It gets the same amount of overhead irrigation, but is in a much shadier spot.

Another difference I see is that this Cali one still has undivided leaves with one stem having (I am guessing) about a foot of trunk and two more beginning to trunk. Mine has had pinnate leaves for a year and a half now and only just now a first ring of wood showed up on the largest stem.

Jeff, I am having the same fungus problem. I don't remember ever having a solid green leaf. The moment the lose all of their red color, the fungus spots start to appear. I also have overhead irrigation. Something that the HOA runs and I don't have any control over. My orange A. vestiaria clump however does not have this issue. It gets the same amount of overhead irrigation, but is in a much shadier spot.

Another difference I see is that this Cali one still has undivided leaves with one stem having (I am guessing) about a foot of trunk and two more beginning to trunk. Mine has had pinnate leaves for a year and a half now and only just now a first ring of wood showed up on the largest stem.

Just a theory, but it seems like the more space you give the roots, the longer it takes the leaves to go pinnate. I saw this with my P. maculata when I potted it up, the leaves actually reverted to almost entire. They were still larger overall, but looked more like juvenile fronds.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Nicely done, As has been mentioned this winter is definitely helping. Would love to see some more pics at the end of this sumer

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Just a theory, but it seems like the more space you give the roots, the longer it takes the leaves to go pinnate. I saw this with my P. maculata when I potted it up, the leaves actually reverted to almost entire. They were still larger overall, but looked more like juvenile fronds.

Mine is in the ground, but not far from a foundation.

Thats a nice specimen !

There used to be several awesome clumps of this growing at Disney's Animal Kingdom. They were maybe 6-7ft tall and had been in the ground about 10 years. The 2009-10 winter killed them all.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 1 year later...

All of mine(potted), both Maroon and Orange forms have died on me. Maroon seems to be easier than Orange but in Winter as soon as I had to switch from heat pump heating to regular furnace the slight change in dry air spelled doom for them and a few other species and that was with humidifier on furnace on max(45%) and room humidifiers as well running at full capacity. Expensive way to learn the limit on what I can grow.

updated pictures would be awesome. I have a nice 5 gal that is doing so-so in my front yard in 1/2 day morning sun.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 4 months later...

I am also curious how that Vestiaria is doing so far form the tropics.

Off topic, Matty B since you mentioned a Precatoria in south California, is it growing in such location? Thank you

Thanks everyone who expressed interest in this project...I can't believe its been 5 years in the ground and still pusing...The main chore is keeping the aphids in check...When I remember to do that the palm is much happier...It has about 10 rings of trunk on the main plant and still looks good...Not robust, but good enough to keep...

Sorry..I thought I could load pics...I get a system error..."You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

I can email pics if anyone has picture posting authority...

post-4259-0-03944700-1440601219_thumb.jp

Here is a blurry shot of the main trunk...Notice the stilt roots trying to break out...Knife for scale...

post-4259-0-64128500-1440601428_thumb.jp

A shot of the newest leaf...

post-4259-0-34929400-1440601571_thumb.jp

Morning Shot without flash...Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

Hello, hey Joe, you gave your Vestie a GO!

They will survive here if you're near the beach and can keep the humidity up. Or at least keep the humidity up. Larry Black has one, if I recall in Fountain Valley, which is next door to HB.

You've reminded us why we love Vestiaras (and Hawaii!) so much.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Creative folks in California have figured out ways to prolong evening warmth by providing lots of concrete/stone, sloped southwestern exposures, etc. I agree with Tyrone that the other problem for California with A. vestiaria is that you have to really protect it from low humidity, particularly Santa Anas.