IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

where can I buy a white triangle palm ?

trioderob

I want to plant one of these in my yard.

anyone know where I can locate and also any tips on growing

or is the care just the same as a normal triangle ?

spWhiteTriangle.jpg

Hi, you -

I am quite sure that a lot of users here will help you. I know they are professional sellers with a large portfolio of several palms. Some of them has mentioned their store in the signature.

If you like to plant a larger white triangle palm ... look here ...

http://realpalmtrees.com/palm-tree-store/m...-palm-tree.html

Much luck and best regards, Verena :)

Edited by Z4Devil

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

I'm assuming he's talking about the Triangle, D. cabadae cross. Saw one in SoFla, they are sweet! I've never seen one for sale.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

White triangle palm :drool: I too would be interested in one as well. I have the Red Triangle palm which seems to be a fast grower. But the Red Triangle is more commonly available than the White, so if anybody has one, or knows of some who does, please let us know.

I'm assuming he's talking about the Triangle, D. cabadae cross. Saw one in SoFla, they are sweet! I've never seen one for sale.

yes thats what I am talking about.

it would look good in my front yard - no ???

I have a spot saved for one of these if I can find one for sale.

spWhiteTriangle02.jpg

Edited by trioderob

Isn't this in the wrong section? Check out the Palm Exchange, people! :)

so,i am not the only one with OCD? :lol:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I have the red and white and normal. The white is much slower. I got mine from mike.

Edited by tikitiki

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

I have the red and white and normal. The white is much slower. I got mine from mike.

Is your red the fastest? Do you have all of them growing in the same conditions? And one last question... How about a few pics. :D

Vero Beach, FL

How do you exchange a palm that nobody has? He wants the palm thats why it's in the palms wanted section.

San Marcos CA

How do you exchange a palm that nobody has? He wants the palm thats why it's in the palms wanted section.

Shon, this post was moved from the main forum to here... No worries!

Thanks, Bill. I might also point out, that since "Plants Wanted" is a sub-category of the "Palm Exchange", that comment is even more confusing. :wacko: No worries, Shon!

Nice palm. Does anyone know if white triangles can tolerate S FL 6-7 months of extreme heat/humidity? Or is a CA darling only?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It grows on street 124, south of Miami just fine.

post-126-1258656721_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I have a few of these in the ground here. They handled full SoCal sun right out of the greenhouse on the first new leaf. Mine have really fattened up in the ground and are starting to look more like they do have decaryi in them, which at first I doubted. I have no idea if what we have will turn out to be what we see on the PACSOA site. I hope so, but I have my doubts here too.

By the way Rob, doubt you will find this palm anytime soon. The source is no longer selling and people that have them aren't giving them up.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

White triangle palm :drool: I too would be interested in one as well. I have the Red Triangle palm which seems to be a fast grower. But the Red Triangle is more commonly available than the White, so if anybody has one, or knows of some who does, please let us know.

Just for clarification can anyone tell me what hybrid is the "Red Triangle"? Sounds like one I should get!

Thanks,

Bill

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

Just for clarification can anyone tell me what hybrid is the "Red Triangle"? Sounds like one I should get!

Thanks,

Bill

D. leptocheilos x decaryi

I agree with Len, not likely you can find one. I have two of them, one I obtained by slop luck and the other was from the same source that no longer has them. It would take and insane bribe for me to give up one of mine, so you should probably consider a Leptocheilos x Decaryii instead, that is also a great palm.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I agree with Len, not likely you can find one. I have two of them, one I obtained by slop luck and the other was from the same source that no longer has them. It would take and insane bribe for me to give up one of mine, so you should probably consider a Leptocheilos x Decaryii instead, that is also a great palm.

Gary

Hi Gary,

A friend of mine recently contacted a palm seller in Europe who incredibly was advertising seeds and seedlings of sp. "White Triangle". When contacted, he said he still had a few seedlings available but no seeds, and that they were from a supplier in Brazil. Am I right in thinking that these Dypsis hybrid trees don't produce true seed, hence their rarity? On a second note, are the D. leptocheilos x decaryi any more abundant? I'd really like to get some of these. Thanks for your comments.

I have a few of these in the ground here. They handled full SoCal sun right out of the greenhouse on the first new leaf. Mine have really fattened up in the ground and are starting to look more like they do have decaryi in them, which at first I doubted. I have no idea if what we have will turn out to be what we see on the PACSOA site. I hope so, but I have my doubts here too.

By the way Rob, doubt you will find this palm anytime soon. The source is no longer selling and people that have them aren't giving them up.

Len, that last sentence is interesting. I have seen several offers of seeds/seedlings of this "white triangle" palm - as late as Thursday, both here and abroad. If the source you mention is no longer selling, is there a good chance these vendors offer a bogus product? Or are there several versions of this palm around? The pictures I've seen on the offers are all the same one - hefty palm with snow-white trunk/petioles. I've been under the impression this palm is a new species but is it actually a decaryi x cabadae cross? So much confusion on this one.

Meg

Florida

There are alot of bogus suppliers of this palm, it is not a natural hybrid. This would have to be created by luck, which is very rare and would not produce very many, or by some hybridization expert working many years to produce it manually. I would be very, very skeptical if I saw these on any for sale list.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Meg, I guess I should have qualified "that I know of for sure" because the only person that I have ever seen have these in the US was Mike Harris. And as Gary pointed the various ways to get this hybrid, Mike told me it was basically luck. He never bought them as such. He bought Dypsis Cabadae from his supplier/friend and the 'white triangle' he ended up selling just shot up and looked different out of hundreds of the Cabadae seed. He asked what else was around, and a Decaryi was I - hence his reasoning and naming. So like I stated in my post earlier, who really knows what these "white triangles" turn into. Maybe what we see on PACSOA? Maybe something totally different? Time will tell. But whatever Mike got will be cool. :)

I have seen the ones offered online (a few years ago anyway) - not sure it is the same person you refer and John refers. Ask how he knows they are "white triangles", you will get an interesting reply. But seed is cheap and with Dypsis you never know what you can get. So try some. Do you have the link that shows the picture by the way?

John, on your question about D. leptocheilos x decaryi being any more abundant, I would say yes. At least for us here. While both are hit or miss - feast or famine, I found it easier to get D. leptocheilos x decaryi. Once round about from an Australian grower and once from a guy from these forums. Both plants look totally different too, which is cool. But is ever case, it was as small plants, not seed. I wonder if you can tell the cross at seed from the parent??? Because it seems only after they germinate are people positive.

Len, that last sentence is interesting. I have seen several offers of seeds/seedlings of this "white triangle" palm - as late as Thursday, both here and abroad. If the source you mention is no longer selling, is there a good chance these vendors offer a bogus product? Or are there several versions of this palm around? The pictures I've seen on the offers are all the same one - hefty palm with snow-white trunk/petioles. I've been under the impression this palm is a new species but is it actually a decaryi x cabadae cross? So much confusion on this one.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Meg, one more thing, if your "abroad" source is from Australia, then I would think it pretty safe if you ask questions. I swear they are more on the ball with hybridizing Dypsis then anywhere else. Some of the great crosses you see came from there first. If you find a cabadae x leptocheilos cross online from Australia, let me know and lets order some :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len and all,

I did some more research today and now think I may have confused this palm (white triangle) with a palm called "white petiole". So - are these two palms different species/varieties? If there is no connection between them, I apologize for adding even more confusion to a confusing topic.

Meg

Florida

Nope. No connection at all. :)

Len and all,

I did some more research today and now think I may have confused this palm (white triangle) with a palm called "white petiole". So - are these two palms different species/varieties? If there is no connection between them, I apologize for adding even more confusion to a confusing topic.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Nope. No connection at all. :)

Len and all,

Meg, to add to that - if I have my facts straight, what was referred to as Dypsis sp. "White Petiole" is now Dypsis albofarinosa and this is good, because Dypsis sp. "White" is yet another species.