IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms and Cycads for Sale

Phil

Continued:

I don't know what it is about cool Zamias that appeals to me and a lot of other "palm guys". I think it's because they look so lush and tropical.

Below is a piture of an unknown Zamia species. It's in a citrus pot and has a gorgeous leaf.

Zamia%20unknown%20sp%20cit%20pot3%20(Large).JPG

Below is a picture of the leaflet. Note the serrated edge, typical of many tropical Zamia.

Zamia%20unknown%20species%20citpot2%20(Large).JPG

And below is an interesting thing about this plant: absence of spines on the petiole.

Zamia%20unknown%20sp%20cit%20pot%20petiole%20no%20spines%20(Large).JPG

You might wonder what is the big deal about such a plant. Well, look at the next post and you'll see why many regard them so highly.

Continued:

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Zamia continued:

Below are some photos of a striking Zamia that I've owned for over 20 years. I bought it from a fellow in Florida named Baine Cheek and he had owned it for about 20 to 25 years. As I recall, back then he thought it was a Zamia fairchildeana. But, it appears more to be a Zamia elegentissima. It is in a 25g pot. This plant really deserves a home in a Botanical Garden or Arboretum somewhere. It is indeed unique. I hope that you appreciate its beauty. I had Joaquin stand in with the photo to get a feel for its age and size.

Zamia%20elegantissima%2025g%20another%202.JPG

Zamia%20elegantissima%2025g%20leaf.JPG

Zamia%20elegantissima%2025g%20trunk.JPG

Zamia%20elegantissima%2025g%20another.JPG

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Although we are not known as a Heliconia grower, we've been growing various species for about five years. Our biggest successes don't come from seeds but rather from good sized rhizomes from established plants growing in collectors' yards in Southern California. I am pleased that we can offer good numbers of various Heliconias that should perform well for many So Cal enthusiasts. Most of our 5g were established one year ago and are growing rapidly and very strong plants. Included are Heiconia latispatha, scheidiana (including the desirable orange form), lingulata pink tip, rostrata, angusta, subulata, Bihai, and a few others. We have 5g on most, some 2g and a few 15g plants. The latter have blossomed. I'm selling the 5g to IPS members here for $45. Sorry, but I don't have photos of blossoms on these plants. They should blossom this coming summer. A Net Search can easily show blossoms of these species.

Phil

5g Heliconia

Heliconia.JPG

Group,

I had decided to let this thread drift away, but a few people encouraged me to post some more photos. So, I'll add a few more.

First is a Caryota species. I'm not sure what it is. I've compared it to Caryota no which I have at the nursery. They have similarities and differences. So, I just call it "species". This plant sold last week, but I do have one or two smaller 15g left ($165). If anyone knows for sure what it is, let me know.

Caryota%20sp.%2025g%20large.JPG

Caryota%20sp.%20leaf,%2025g%20large.JPG

Below is a cool Zamia which we can grow outdoors in many San Diego areas. It is Zamia standleyi. I show this plant for three reasons. First, it's a female and the second shot shows the cone. Second, to point out that you can get a Zamia to cone in a rather small container. This olne's in a 2g size. As long as the plant gets enough nutrition, a smaller container can support it to coning. And, finally that it doesn't take that long to get a Zamia to grow to coning size. I'd estimate this plant is about 7 or 8 years old from seed. It would grow faster in the ground.

Zamia%20standleyi%20female1%20(Large).JPG

Zamia%20standleyi%20female3%20(Large).JPG

It's amazing that the cone is about the same size as the caudex: 3 to 4 inches.

I'll show a few more pictures, continued.

Phil

Continued:

Below is an interesting hybrid Zamia. It was a Zamia furfuracea crossed with a Zamia lodegessii. By kinowing the parents, you'd never expect this offspring. But, this is what was produced. Was there cross contamination of pollen? Who knows, but they all look like this. I have seen this with furfuracea hybrids before. But, the interesting thing is that this should be fairly cold hardy because of it's parentage. this plant is $175 minus 20%. It's about 6 years old.

Zamia%20furfuracea%20X%20lodegesii%203%20(Large).JPG

Zamia%20furfuracea%20X%20lodegesii%202%20(Large).JPG

Below is a Royal that you don't see often: Roystonea princeps from Jamaca. It's in a 5g pot, five to six feet tall and costs $52.

Roystonea%20princeps%205g%20(Large).JPG

And, finally I wanted to remind people we do have a good selection of Chambeyronia, all sizes, at 20% off. Our 20g are now getting up to about 10 to 12 feet. this picture was taken about 6 months ago and they've put one one or two more leaves since then. Locally grown and many have seen down to 25 degrees.

Chambeyronia%20macrocarpa%2020g%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Taking requests Phil? Got any Copernicias? :drool:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

MattyB,

I do, c'mon by.

Group,

A few more pics.

As you know, 98% of our plants are locally grown and hardy to our conditions. Below is a 15g Burretiokentia hapala, a great species for our area. It's been outside for quite a while and is absolutely gorgeous. Height about 7 feet.

Burretiokentia%2015g%20nice%20(Large).JPG

Here's the base of this plant:

Burretiokentia%2015g%20nice%20base%20(Large).JPG

And below is a 15g Kentiopsis oliviformis which we've had in our outdoor growing area for 3 years. No tropically grown wimp here that will shrink or possibly die in our weather. It's seen at least 25 degrees. I brought it indoors for this photo, but it's been outdoors for years.

kentiopsis%20oliviformis%2015g%20nice%20(Large).JPG

And a quite cool Normambya in a 15g, about 7 or 8 feet tall.

Normambya%20normbyi%2015g2%20(Large).JPG

This sale will be ending soon.

Phil

ps: come by today, we're there Monday through Saturday!

Continued:

I almost forgot. Several have emailed me about the Veitchia we have. Here's a few quick shots of a few Veitchia.

Veitchia arecina, 15g, about 7 or 8 feet tall.

Veitchia%20arecina%2015g%20(Large).JPG

Veitchia macdanielsii, 15g

Veitchia%20madanielsii%2015g%20(Large).JPG

And, to finish, a nice chunky sun grown Rhopalostylis sapida, 25g, about 8 years old.

Rhopalostylis%20sapida%2025,30g%20(Large).JPG

Hope you visit us.

Phil

Group,

I think the following photos might serve to show a "From This to That" type of thing.

From a 5g plant, Gaussia maya has a bulbous base. By the time it's a 15g, this is very apparent. And, when you grow it a bit more, you get the following appearance. Note the fat, round base in this 25g specimen.

Gaussia%20maya%20(Small).JPG

Here's a closeup to show the base; about soccor ball sized.

Gaussia%20maya%20base2%20(Small).JPG

Now, look what happens when you grow it another five years or so. This one's in a 24 inch box with Rusty showing it off. I'd say this plant is at least 10 years old. (btw, it's seen 25 degrees outdoors)

Gaussia%20maya%20box%20and%20Rusty%20(Large).JPG

and a close look at the base shows a loss of the swollen, ball like base but rather a columnar trunk wtih 8 rings on the trunk:

Gaussia%20maya%20box%20base%20(Large).JPG

I had one in my garden who's base was the size of a large watermelon. I mean, almost like a Bottle Palm. And, then one day, it aborted this and made a much thinner tubular trunk.

Continued:

Phil

Continued:

Here's a 15g Archontophoenix myolensis, I think the most exotic of the Archontophoenix family. This one's been in our growing lot for about three years and also saw 25 degrees. Check out how fat the base is with that nice lime green color of the crown shaft. 20% off (ending soon). We might have some boxes as well.

Archontophophoenix%20myolensis%2015g%20nice%20(Large).JPG

Arcontophoeonix%20myolensis%2015g%20nice%20base%20(Large).JPG

Same thing with this 14 foot Roystonea regia in a 25 g container, locally grown in our dry sun. Survived 25 degrees. Nice plant. I know you Florida and HI guys take these for granted and they are quite available in your areas. The problem is that many of the tropically grown plants, including Royal Palms, perform quite poorly when they travel to California, and can croke or become the "amazing shrinking palm" . Locally grown Royals seem to do better for us out here. This one has a 10 to 12 inch base.

Roystonea%20regia%2025g%20(Large).JPG

Roystonea%20regia%2025g%20trunk%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Group,

Here's a 15g Syagrus picrophylla. It's about 8 to 10 feet tall to the top of the leaves. $140, age about 7 years old.

Syagrus%20picrophylla%2015g%20nice1%20(Large).JPG

Syagrus%20picrophylla%2015g%20nice,%20base%20(Large).JPG

Here's a similar height Dypsis pembana in a 15g, same price

Dypsis%20pembana,%20nice%2015g%20(Large).JPG

If you've read this thread, you've come to know that I really like shade loving cycads like wierd Zamia and Cerato's. Below is a Ceratozamia sp. from Belize that throws up new leaves that are almost orange in color. It's starting to turn green as I didn't shoot the pic soon enough.

Ceratozamia%20sp.%20belize%2015g%20large.JPG

The reason I like these understory cycads is because everyone has room for one. Regardless of what palms you've planted, there's always a spot or two where a smaller shade loving cycad can go. And, they are so cool.

Phil

I am now the proud owner of the Syagrus picrophylla and the Archontophoenix myolensis. Thanks Phil. I need a good sized Syagrus that I did not have for my Syagrus area of the garden. And Myolensis is hard to find this size ready for planting.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I am now the proud owner of the Syagrus picrophylla and the Archontophoenix myolensis. Thanks Phil. I need a good sized Syagrus that I did not have for my Syagrus area of the garden. And Myolensis is hard to find this size ready for planting.

Len,

With all the good purchase's, your yard must really be maturing into something nice by now. And future thread on your garden in the works?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Len,

Thanks for the comment and for dropping in for the plants. It's always great to see PalmTalk people visit us. I really appreciate the support.

Now, a few more photos.

I'll start with something that appeals to some, especially those in a colder area. 15g Butia bonnettii

Buttia%20bonnettii,%2015g%20(Large).JPG

About 35 years ago when I got started with my nursery, a rather large and dependent species of Ceratozamia was available in large sizes from a few nurseries. This was b/c they were imported from Mexico prior to CITES regulations. Known as Ceratozamia "molongo", this plant has very large leaflets, large flowing leaves that would hang way down if planted over a wall. New leaves were upright, but in time they laid down. Therefore, you need some room for Cz molongo. Below is a picture of a cit pot plant. They are very attractive. Sorry, but I don't have any other pics of this species. It's in a one gallon as I recall.

Ceratozamia%20molongo%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

Another Ceratozamia that is smaller than molongo and with more upright, yet pretty wide leaflets is Cz "palma sol". It will take a fair amount of coastal sun and is very attractive. Below is a citrus pot size with a picture of the plant and the leaflets.

Ceratozamia%20palm%20sol%20cp1%20(Large).JPG

Ceratozamia%20palma%20sol%20cp2%20(Large).JPG

One more comment about Ceratozamia and Dioons (to some extent). Current books do not do justice to all the species that exist. If you read texts, you will get the idea that there are a limited number of Ceratozamia species. But, we growers have many more "species" than are described, and we see dramatic differences among all these plants. I think a lot of taxonomic work remains to be done on the new world cycads, especially from Mexico. There have been quite a few recently named "new" species, but there are more to come.

By the way, we will be open the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. Please drop by and visit us. Everything is 20% off to members from this group. If you are looking for something specific, just email me and I'll get back to you quickly. We legally ship to all states, no international shipping.

Continued:

Phil

Continued:

I thought I'd finish off with a few Chamaedorea. Below are two shots of Chamaedorea arenbergiana that I took 2 years ago. This plant was about 10 feet tall in a 15g pot. The blossoms show green but interesting fruit. I have plenty more like this. the second photo cuts off the fruit/blossoms, but shows the leaves quite nicely. Remember, 20% off regular prices.

Chamaedorea%20arenbergiana01%20(Large).jpg

Chamaedorea%20arenbergiana08%20(Large).jpg

And, below is a picture of a trunking form of Chamaedorea radicalis, about 8 feet tall. You'll recognize the long blossoms, but check out that it's trunking. We still have a few more of these available in 15 g size.

Chamaedorea%20radicalis%20trunking%20form.JPG

And, we properly prepare your plants for transport, wrapping up the leaves if needed. Below staff have prepared a couple of Chamaedorea hooperiana for putting into a car.

Chamaedorea%20hooperiana%20ready%20to%20go,%20large.JPG

Remember, open Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. Everything 20% off to this group. Gift Certificates available at discounted rate.

Phil

Thanks Jeff. My issue is I ripped almost every canopy tree out that I had to plant better ones. So everything fries and takes a few years to get growing.

Len,

With all the good purchase's, your yard must really be maturing into something nice by now. And future thread on your garden in the works?

Jeff

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Jeff,

Len's yard is like the CA version of yours. The two nicest overall gardens I've ever seen. I hope Len does a pictorial one day so I don't have to go back over there and deal with him just to see his garden.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

MattyB,

Shon is never eager to have his picture taken with the palms. Rusty is more of a ham, more than willing to pose with the plant. Two days ago Shon dropped by and I wanted to photograph a boxed Phoenix acualis that we have. I asked if Shon would pose with the Phoenix. He said "No way. If MattyB see's me with this plant, I'll never hear the end of it". Knowing that a Pheonix is not the same as a wierd Dypsis or New Caledonian species, I ask you Matt: "Would you truly give Shon flack if you saw him admiring a Phoenix?" Say it's not true!

Hearing all this and true to his basic instincts, Rusty stepped forward and here he is with this 24 inch boxed Phoenix acualis. It's quite old but has essentially no trunk as expected for this species.

Phoenix%20acaulis%20box3%20(Large).JPG

Phoenix%20acaulis%20box4%20(Large).JPG

And Rusty wanted me to let everyone know the Chambeyronia are throwing really dark, lush leaves right now. We've discussed this before, that the Chambeyronia color is a bit better as it gets

colder. This one is not my favorite. I like it when the color is black-purple. But, it's quite nice.

Chambeyronia%20macrocarpa%20red%2015g1%20(Large).JPG

Chambeyronia%20macrocarpa%20red%2015g2%20(Large).JPG

Continued:

Phil

Continued:

Group,

I wanted to show you below a palm that, as I recall, has never been shown on PalmTalk. It is extremely rare and quite cool. It is Pritchardia Schattaueri. So, why is it cool? Because it gets to over 100 feet tall by report, will grow in Southern California, and has a gorgeous crown of leaves. Move over Pritchardia arecina and viscosa! Your big brother is in town. Don Hodel reported at a PSSC Banquet presentation that this species was James Michener's favorite palm on his estate in Hawaii. I only have a few of these, so buy one while you can. We may never see them again on the market. This plant is in a 15g container.

Pritchardia%20schauttauerii%2015g1%20(Large).JPG

Pritchardia%20schauttauerii%2015g%20leaf1%20(Large).JPG

Pritchardia%20schauttauerii%2015g%20base%20(Large).JPG

I hope everyone in the U.S. has a happy Thanksgiving today. Remember, we're open tomorrow, Friday ("Black Friday" in the US ) and Saturday. So, please drop by. Tell your spouse to get you a JM Gift Certificate rather than a new tie or shirt.

Phil

Group,

Good morning. Since I just showed an unusual Pritchardia, I thought I'd continue on the same genus. We have quite a few different Pritchardia at the Nursery. Below is a Pritchardia that is equally as rare and quite hard to find: Pritchardia alymer-robinsonii in a 15g. First a picture of the plant and then a closeup of the leaf:

Pritchardia%20alymer-robinsonii%2015g%20(Large).JPG

Pritchardia%20alymer-robinsonii%2015g%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

Below is another species that is quite popular because it doesn't get that big. Pritchardia minor gets a trunk about five or six inches in diameter typically and usually is not over 14 feet.

Pritchardia%20minor%2015g1%20(Large).JPG

And, here's a close up of the leaf of this Pritchardia minor:

Pritchardia%20minor%2015g1%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

Both of these are 20% off our regular price.

Continued:

Phil

Continued:

And below is another Pritchardia that isn't seen that often: Pritchardia munroii, in a 15g container. It's about 7 feet tall or so.

Pritchardia%20munroii%2015g2%20(Large).JPG

And below is a Pritchardia beccariana

Pritchardia%20beccariana%20(Large).JPG

Pritchardia hildebrandtii

Pritchardia%20hildebrandtii%20(Small).JPG

Pritchardia lowreyana

Pritchardia%20lowreyana%2020%20box%20(Large).JPG

Continued:

Phil

Continued:

Below is another one labeled as unknown Pritchardia species:

Pritchardia%20sp.%202%20(Large).JPG

And one of my favorites that came out about five or six years ago as Pritchardia species "Nut Brown"

Pritchardia%20sp.%20nut%20brown%2015g%20(Large).JPG

I hope I didn't overdo it all these photos of different types of Pritchardia. But, they are distinct and quite attractive. And, I figured it's rare for readers here to just read along and see so many species all at once. Another thing: they grow quite well in our area.

To end, a photo of a Pritchardia hildebrandtii dwarf blue showing its color. This plant is in HI.

pritchardia_hildebrandtii_007.GIF

All are invited to visit the Nursery. We would very much appreciate your support.and treat you right.

Phil

Love those Pritchardia Phil. Can't tell them apart for the life of me.

And yes, I would give Shon a hard time for posing with a Phoenix, because he always gives me a hard time for liking them.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Hi Phil,

How many Pritchardias have the white tomentosa on the underside of the fronds? I have posted on a different thread that I have seen a very colorful one that doesn't seem to fit any of the descriptions.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

MattyB and Joe,

The problem with identifying Pritchardia is trying to do so when they are young. They look more similar when young, developing differences with age. Joe, the color on the back of the leaves is not apparent when young. A Pritchardia martii in a 5g pot will not show the rusty color on the back of the leaves. So, you might ask how do "I" tell them apart. Well, it's difficult. But, when you've grown a lot of them over the years, there are differences. I look at such things as the size of the leaf, the shape (V shaped, round, cupped), the character of the trunk (paper at the base, color, etc), the length of the petiole, the color of the petiole and overall appearance. When Don Hodel publishes his new book on Pritchardia, I will certainly get one. There are going to be some name changes. I think even Don would admit it is a challenge to ID them when they are young. The reason I like the Hawaaian species is that they do so well for us here in So Cal.

And Matt, with all the goofy pictures that Paul has shown of you over time, how could you dig on Shon for a photo with a Phoenix? I heard there's a group named "Mothers Against Palm Snobbery", more commonly known as MAPS. These gals are known to travel around and check backyards, nursery "wish lists", beds of loaded pickups, and plant auctions. Watch out for them. If you have too many species from New Caledonia or Madagascar, they videotape you and put you on the evening news. Financed by powereful third world countries from Central and South America, they are pushing for legislation mandating a "Queen for every Dypsis Planted". So, you might consider having Shon take a picture of you kissing a Queen Palm. It would be for your own protection.

Now for a cool blue cycad. Below is an Encephalartos princeps. When I first got into cycads in the early 70's, this was the species that sucked me in; bBeutiful color, leaf arrangement and size. The plant below is about 20 years old.

Encephalartos%20princeps%2011%20inch%20large.JPG

Encephalartos%20princeps%2011%20inch%20foliage%20large.JPG

Encephalartos%20princeps%2015g%2012%20inch%20trunk3%20(Large).JPG

E. princeps closest relative is E. lehmanii, shown below. The way I tell them apart is by the orientation of the leaflets. Princeps show the flat of their leaves to the central crown of the plant. In order words, the leaflets are held at an angle to the petiole rather than flat tothe petiole and facing the sky. Both share the same color and this color is most dependent on growing conditions and exposure to sun.

Encephalartos%20lehmanii%207%20gallon%20(Large).JPG

Continued:

Phil

Continued:

And, below is a picture of a Chamaedorea elatior leaf. I show this to prove that I'm an artsy guy.

Leaf,%20Cham.%20elatior.JPG

And below is Kentiopsis oliviformis in a 20g. We still have a nice slection of 15g which are pretty good sized for $160 during this Sale.

Kentiopsis%20oliviformis%20nice%20(Small)%20(2).JPG

And below is a shot of a Lepidorrhachis m. in a 1g. This is a picture from about 6 months ago. I am going to have a few available soon, so let me know if you want one. They sold out very quickly last time. Sale price will be $40.

Lepidorrhachis%201g1%20(Large).JPG

So, come visit us. We have a gazillion plants for sale.

Palm%20Tables2%20(Large).JPG

Phil

Group,

Good morning. This thread has been going on for a while, so a few more days of posting and the Sale and this thread will be ending.

I've shown a lot of big, established plants. Now, I'll show some "cash and carry" plants. I.e., 5g size. This are shippable or will fit into your Honda.

All are fairly rare and on sale, 20% off regular prices.

Let's start with some Syagrus. Below is a Syagrus pseudococcos from Brazil. Formerly known as Barbosa pseudococcos, this is a rather thin trunked palm that does great in So Cal. I showed pictures of Mardi Darians two specimens, each about 30 feet 40 feet in full sun. This plant is in a 5g, 6 feet tall.

Syagrus%20pseudococcos%205g%20(Large).JPG

Syagrus%20pseudococcos%205g%20Base%20(Large).JPG

Below is a Syagrus amara in a 5g pot, about six feet or a bit more, very established, and showing off it's juvenile foliage even though a good sized plant. This is typical of amara. It's the "coconut looking" Syagrus. A good one for our locality. The second shot shows the leaves.

Syagrus%20amara%205g%20nice%20(Large).JPG

Syagrus%20amara%205g%20nice2%20(Large).JPG

Continued: more Syagrus

Phil

Continued, more Syagrus:

Sygagrus mata X formae is a naturally occuring hybrid by report. Another is Costae. The plant below is a 5g. It's five or six feet tall. I'd appreciate comments by others. I did a Net search and only saw a few references in Spanish. the second shot shows the dorsal leaf.

Syagrus%20mata%20X%20formae%205g%20(Large).JPG

Syagrus%20mata%20X%20formae%205g%20dorsal%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

Below is a 5g Syagrus sancona. You can see this species went pinnate at a much smaller size. No huge juvenile leaves here. It is an attractive species.

Syagrus%20sancona%205g%20(Large).JPG

Below is a rare species, Syagrus yungasensis. You won't find many pics around on this one. This is a 5g about 3 feet tall.

Syagrus%20yungasensis%205g%20(Large).JPG

Continued:

Phil

Continued:

More Syagrus.

Syagrus schizophylla, a 5g plant. With the irregular widths to the leaflets and bushy appearance, this different Syagrus is usually easy to spot.

Syagrus%20schizophylla%205g%20(Large).JPG

Here's a pic of a schizophylla in a 15g. They look a bit scattered and haphazard, don't they. This is how you spot them.

Syagrus%20schizophylla%20(Large).JPG

Breaking ranks with Syagrus, below I'm showing a Kerriodoxa elegans in a 5g. This species is not the easiest to grow in So Cal, but quite beautiful and dramatic. For those on the 1998 Biennial in Thailand, seeing a grove of them in the wild was breath taking. The second shot shows the underside of the leaf with it's silver color.

Kerriodoxa%20elegans%205g%20(Large).JPG

Kerriodoxa%20elegans%205g%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

Enough for today. More later.

Come and see us. We've been in business for 33 years and do mail order.

Phil

I forgot to mention yesterday one plant that I've been sold out of for about a year. Many have inquired but were told we were sold out. But, I found a 5g yesterday. It's Jubaea X Butia, F2 hybrid. 20% off. All prices at website, click link below.

Jubaea X Butia, 5g, the plant I just found. About 5 years old.

Jubaea%20X%20Butia%20F2%205g.JPG

Phil

Hmm Phil.

Your pictures aren't loading. Is your site down?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill,

Yes, for a little while. But Len Geiger's company, Webintellects.com, fixed it. They are good. He hosts my website and PalmTalk .

Phil

Cool. I see the pics again.

Thanks again!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Phil, between Bill and Joe, you won't have to worry about not knowing your site is down. Those two are the "Is your site down?" police. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Phil, between Bill and Joe, you won't have to worry about not knowing your site is down. Those two are the "Is your site down?" police. :)

Just a free service we provide.... :D

I don't know about you Bill, but I am on those sites because I am SHOPPING... ;)

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I heard you are quite the bargain hunter. ;)

I don't know about you Bill, but I am on those sites because I am SHOPPING... ;)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Who doesn't like a bargain? Besides, "bargain" is all relative. I have been fortunate to find some good deals. The funny thing is that most of them were not planned. Everytime I look hard for one, I have gotten burned.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

You guys make me laugh. I like it: the "Is your site down Police". And, Joe, did you brother visit me Saturday. He didn't know if his brother, Joe, was "Joe OC", but it sounded like you.

Sorry, but the Jubaea hybrid sold the same morning, Sunday. It's gone.

Now for some more pics:

It's a cold marning, so I'll show a big old cold hardy plant: Livistona australis, box It's at least 10 years old, will go down into the teens, and looks sort of like decipiens.

Livistona%20australis%20box%20(Large).JPG

The base is 14 to 16 inches. No tropical wimp here. I know it's not exotic, but viable almost anywhere. And, try to find one. They're hard to locate.

Livistona%20australis%20box3%20(Large).JPG

On a thread in Discussing Palms was the topic, "Sabal Sp. Huge Leaf Fergusson Garden". I've visited this garden, seen the plant, and taken photos. Here's a 5g plant.

Sabal%20Huge%20Leaf%20Fergusson%20Garden%205g%20(Large).JPG

Sabal%20Huge%20Leaf%20Fergusson%20Garden%205g%202%20(Large).JPG

It doesn't have a Corypha caliber leaf, but it's not a wimp either. One leaf would cover your spouse, her parents, three grandkids and the dog.

Phil

Hey Phil - Yes, that was my brother. I suggested he go to your nursery as he is starting to get interested in palms.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24