IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How much is your hurricane cut palmetto's?

Brad Mondel

How much is your hurricane cut palmetto's? im fixin to buy one.....can u help me know a good deal or a rippoff when i see one?

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

How much is your hurricane cut palmetto's? im fixin to buy one.....can u help me know a good deal or a rippoff when i see one?

Hurricane, what hurricane.... :drool: ....do you know something????? I gotta go get me some supplies :unsure: ! As far as palmettos, as with any plant, a good deal is when both buyer and seller are happy ;)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I'm assuming you are referring to the Sabal Palmetto? If so, I had to live in SC this past year (moving back to FL this weekend) and I've heard that you might be able to purchase a fairly large one for somewhere in the $300 range.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Here's a pic of some I drove by in South Florida this spring.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1245199500_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I smell fish!!!! This guy probably just dug up some and potted them up and is trying

to sell them. Through trial and many errors i have gotten pretty good at transplanting Palmettos. I usually go directly into the ground instead of pots. The first sign that this guy just dug them up is that they are "hurricane cut".

I would'nt do it, just my two cents!!!!!! If he had grown them for years they would have a full crown.

BTW, the large Palmettos that i have successfully transplanted have taken about 3 years to develop a full crown again.

I love them too!!!! But it is a bad deal if you ask me!!

Mark

• Like 1

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Here's a pic of some I drove by in South Florida this spring.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

That's a very fair price! They fetch more than that in the north, as they practically grow like weeds down there.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

As a plant purchaser for a large landscaping company, I purchased literally thousands of Sabal palmetto over the past couple years. The going rate here in Florida is $65 each if you are buying direct from the people who dig them. The retail price is around $100.

The "hurricane cut" is necessary for successfully transplanting this palm, as it dramatically increases the survival rate from 50% uncut to around 95% fully trimmed. I should also add that you are better off getting one with a minimum of 12' clear trunk because that size and larger seem to have a higher survival rate than the smaller ones.

Hope this helps.

Jody

• Like 2

Its definitely a tactic to provide a successful transplant - not a hurricane cut. I'd wait till you see a few more live leaves shoot out before I spent any money and time buying them.

Here, we do not hurricane cut sabals as they are extremely good at withstanding hurricane force winds. Royals, Adonidias and Coconuts on the other hand always get the 'hurricane hair cut special' which really pisses me off!

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

:mrlooney: WOW! that's cheap pricing ,and yes i meant sabal palmetto ,"hurricane cut refers to the removal of the foliage to reduce transplant shock but anyway ,should i go for sabal or mexican fan palm ,i know mexican is 95$ for a 10 footer.. thanx in advanve and thank you guys!!

no mark im not saleing them i wish i had some to sell id decide too keep them LOL

I smell fish!!!! This guy probably just dug up some and potted them up and is trying

to sell them. Through trial and many errors i have gotten pretty good at transplanting Palmettos. I usually go directly into the ground instead of pots. The first sign that this guy just dug them up is that they are "hurricane cut".

I would'nt do it, just my two cents!!!!!! If he had grown them for years they would have a full crown.

BTW, the large Palmettos that i have successfully transplanted have taken about 3 years to develop a full crown again.

I love them too!!!! But it is a bad deal if you ask me!!

Mark

:mrlooney: WOW! that's cheap pricing ,and yes i meant sabal palmetto ,"hurricane cut refers to the removal of the foliage to reduce transplant shock but anyway ,should i go for sabal or mexican fan palm ,i know mexican is 95$ for a 10 footer.. thanx in advanve and thank you guys!!

I believe the sabal will take your cold winters better longterm than the Mexican Fan.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Sorry, i misunderstood you. If you had said the full name then i would've known. There was a guy roadside selling

palmettos that he dug up and i did'nt want to buy any because i was'nt sure if he knew what he was doing.

IMO, i would go w/ the Sabal instead of the Mexican Fan palm, they're more hardy for your area.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Its definitely a tactic to provide a successful transplant - not a hurricane cut. I'd wait till you see a few more live leaves shoot out before I spent any money and time buying them.

Here, we do not hurricane cut sabals as they are extremely good at withstanding hurricane force winds. Royals, Adonidias and Coconuts on the other hand always get the 'hurricane hair cut special' which really pisses me off!

Michael, the "hurricane cut"' to which I am referring is the complete removal of all leaves during transplant, which reduces transpiration and increase survivability. It has nothing to do with excessive trimming of leaves post-transplant. As I said, the company that I worked for bought and installed literally thousands of collected sabals, so I am very familiar with this issue. If all the leaves are trimmed to the spear, if the trunk is 12'CT or greater, and if the root ball is at least twice the diameter of the trunk, there is a 95% chance of survivability even without seeing any new leaves emerging.

Jody

• Like 2

Michael, the "hurricane cut"' to which I am referring is the complete removal of all leaves during transplant, which reduces transpiration and increase survivability. It has nothing to do with excessive trimming of leaves post-transplant. As I said, the company that I worked for bought and installed literally thousands of collected sabals, so I am very familiar with this issue. If all the leaves are trimmed to the spear, if the trunk is 12'CT or greater, and if the root ball is at least twice the diameter of the trunk, there is a 95% chance of survivability even without seeing any new leaves emerging.

Jody

Jody knows. This is the industry's standard now for removing Sabals from the wild and having them fully prepaired for installation. There's really nothing more to add to this.

Jeff

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The going rate here in NW Florida last year was $150 planted and guaranteed for 1 year. Probably a little less this year due to bad economy. The best deal in landscaping.......where else can you get a 20ft. tall tree planted for that price!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Jody

Jody,

Just so you know I was agreeing with your statement - They do pretty much the same thing here whenever they remove sabals from the ground (not from pots). Much better results!

I was going on a tangent referring to the horrifying look of palms when they do actual 'hurricane cuts' on established palms! Looking back at what I said I could see how it could've been misconstrued. Let's just say I'm glad I'm not a politician or else I'd be eating every word out of my mouth!

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Jody,

Just so you know I was agreeing with your statement - They do pretty much the same thing here whenever they remove sabals from the ground (not from pots). Much better results!

I was going on a tangent referring to the horrifying look of palms when they do actual 'hurricane cuts' on established palms! Looking back at what I said I could see how it could've been misconstrued. Let's just say I'm glad I'm not a politician or else I'd be eating every word out of my mouth!

Cheers,

Mike

No problem here, Mike. I am glad you agree.

Jody

I have seen these things hurricane cut, unwrapped rootball and left on the side of the road in the middle of summer for more then a month and survive (road construction). Then again I have seen them burned up in a fire and come back just fine too. This has to be one of the toughest palms.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Sabals can be moved with a full (or almost full) crown. Ken Johnson will prove it to you. The only problem is it takes time for you to root prune and then you have to move a bigger rootball. Doing it that way will work for some big buck job as it is a lot more money than total removal of the crown.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I'm assuming you are referring to the Sabal Palmetto? If so, I had to live in SC this past year (moving back to FL this weekend) and I've heard that you might be able to purchase a fairly large one for somewhere in the $300 range.

I agree with Zeeth, 200-300 dollar range for South Carolina, maybe a little less in your coastal region.

If you go with a Washingtonia, expect the fronds to brown out every winter there in Myrtle Beach, but on the brighter side they regrow their crown rather quickly when it warms up.

Heck, just buy both! They are both very nice palms to have.

Randall

only got 100$ too spend so i geuss im going for the mexican fan, they do defoliate here a little and recover fast i mean FAST in spring,they are pretty long term,theirs hundreds here that are HUGE,and yes palmetto will do good here (great) coz it's is it's native range lol but im going tomorrow too see what deals i can make wish me luck gys!! i really want palmetto CROSS your fingers!!:P

well no luck sonce they dont deliver the washingtonias UGH so im going to go out tomorrow and c if i can get some potted up :(

i got a bunch of palms i got pheonix reclinata 7 gallon for 35$ some kind of washingtonia,some trachy,a blue palm idonno what it is yet please id in that thread,a zamia cycad,a howea,a bamboo palm,a lady palm,a variegated yucca,a sago palm,a queen sago palm,a palmetto i think or minor

post-3527-1245525042_thumb.jpg

I don't know the price of a completely trimmed Sabal palmetto palm versus one with a full crown, but I would go with the full crown even if it was many times more. I've seen cut Sabal palms sit for years before growing again. I wouldn't mind paying if more time was taken to partially cut the root ball and allow regrowth and less transplant shock. Unfortunately not many suppliers offer full crown Sabal palms.

If you want cheap Sabal palmetto, then you go with the "hurricane cut". Sabal palmetto must grow all new roots when transplanted, regardless of the size of the root ball. All the leaves are trimmed to prevent transpiring water loss. The reason Jody likes at least 12 ft. of trunk is that a palm of that size has plenty of carbohydrates stored to make a complete and ready comeback. Water is very limitedly absorbed, all stored energies are going into re-establishing a root system.

Jerry - you are correct about the root pruning technique. By root pruning and waiting, you establish new roots. When transplanted there are enough roots to absorb enough water for the palm to flourish. A more costly and time consuming method, much kinder and gentler to the palm.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I have bought a few of these in SC over the past few years. $250 plus $100 to plant. I moved and planted one with the help of a few friends. I will gladly pay the $100 next time. You may be able to get them a little cheaper at the coast. I was in Myrtle Beach last week. You can find many volunteers growing under the mature Sabals. Get out your shovel and help weed the beds. You should probably ask owner first.

Tim

Here in Florida, we call Sabal minor "palmetto". Be sure and use the full name when you speak of Sabal Palmetto.

It might be worth your while to drive a little south to find a good deal! I would go w/ a large S.Palmetto that has been hurricane cut, bulletproof as others have stated. Sorry i did'nt understand what you were talking about when you said Palmetto, i thought you meant Sabal Minor/Serenoa Repens. You should try that as well but don't buy any large ones unless you know the source well. They are difficult to transplant. Not impossable, difficult.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

LOL! we call them palmetto palms here! but sabal minor is so slowwwwwwww and it never really trunks which i dont care for,i saw many volunteers at the beach in peeples yards and they just whacked them down to the ground :( but they already sprouted back up from the trunk LOL!! :) maybe if i posted a thing on craigslist i could get some for free!!! YAY! should i attempt? or will they die anyway since there only bout 2 foot clear trunk?

• 13 years later...
On 6/17/2009 at 8:00 AM, virtualpalm said:

Jody

Hi Jody,

So I am about to purchase an 8-10 palmetto tree in SC and you’re saying if landscaper tries to push a hurricane cut tree I should go ahead? Also how long does it take for fronds to grow. Thanks for your help 

On 1/30/2023 at 12:09 PM, Wvalent said:how long does it take for fronds to grow. Thanks for your help 

On 1/30/2023 at 12:09 PM, Wvalent said:

how long does it take for fronds to grow.  

from what I saw on this thread it takes a couple of years for a hurricane cut to grow back into the classic Sabal shape 

On a complete side note sometimes I wish regular Sabal palm was more commonly available in big box store nurseries rather than none native fan palms (Washingtonia, chinesis). Not that there’s anything necessarily wrong with those species, but for the common man just buying a palm to stick in the ground I feel like it would be better if those were native palms.

49 minutes ago, Palms and Pines said:

from what I saw on this thread it takes a couple of years for a hurricane cut to grow back into the classic Sabal shape 

On a complete side note sometimes I wish regular Sabal palm was more commonly available in big box store nurseries rather than none native fan palms (Washingtonia, chinesis). Not that there’s anything necessarily wrong with those species, but for the common man just buying a palm to stick in the ground I feel like it would be better if those were native palms.

Problem is the Sabal species takes longer to raise from seed than the non natives so would not be as profitable,plus,people are less likely to purchase a palm they see everywhere growing wild.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

9 hours ago, aztropic said:

Problem is the Sabal species takes longer to raise from seed than the non natives so would not be as profitable,plus,people are less likely to purchase a palm they see everywhere growing wild.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

A very fair point, however I feel livistona chinensis could easily be supplemented with something like Sabal ‘Lisa’ which here in Florida atleast would check the native checkmark, while also being somewhat unique, it’s probably a little slower than chinensis, but I know I would buy a 3 gallon at walmart in a heartbeat, not to mention they are more cold hardy and could be shipped up to more northern states.

On 1/31/2023 at 11:09 PM, Palms and Pines said:

How long it takes depends on a couple of factors. 

1. How many leaves do you consider full crown?

2. Where do you live?

If you're waiting for 36 leaves rather than 12, then . . .

If you live in Montgomery, AL vs. Orlando, FL , well . . . .

Yeah I suppose those are factors I guess I never really noticed exactly how long they take here, all I know is they look horrible atleast for a while. I get hurricane cuts for transplanting but the biggest crime is a hurricane cut when the palms already established looks nasty, not a fan of carrot topping either.