IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mangosteen's in California?

bubba

In our Post for other sites a poster gave a site called The Cloudforest Cafe.It is a good site but one poster was describing Mangosteen's growing like wild flowers in Southern California. I admit to limited knowledge on Mangosteen's but thought they were only possible in the Key's and could take virtually no cool air whatsoever.Is this Poster going overboard or is there a cold hardy variety growing in California?

What you look for is what is looking

He's dreaming !

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Uh, maybe Mangos and some family named the Steins.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

The Cloudforest Cafe site is primarily for tropical growers in Northern California, Oregon and Washington. They probably just think we can grow anything and everything.

Just like we think folks in Hawaii and Queensland can grow anything. We're such buffoons.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

"Mangosteen's growing like wild flowers in Southern California" Oh yah in someone's HEATED greenhouse!!!

The true mangosteen, Garcinia mangostana is very tropical and is hard to grow in climates like Miami...But

there are mangosteen relitives that are quite cold hardy like Garcinia livingstonei, tinctoria/dulcis and spicata...which will tolerate cool and even frost..... but none of their fruit comes no where close to the true mangosteen....

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

This is super dreaming. Even in Miami, people have to grow them in greenhouses, aka Fairchid Gardens.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I planted G. benthamii, , Himalayan Mangosteen outside here last year. It tolerated low 30sF last winter without any damage.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

In our Post for other sites a poster gave a site called The Cloudforest Cafe.It is a good site but one poster was describing Mangosteen's growing like wild flowers in Southern California. I admit to limited knowledge on Mangosteen's but thought they were only possible in the Key's and could take virtually no cool air whatsoever.Is this Poster going overboard or is there a cold hardy variety growing in California?

Perhaps this was the article that caused the buzz?:

http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/forum/39187.html

This tree is a Garcinia species but not a mangosteen. I will try to get some pics when I get to CA next week.

As others have noted, even SoFla is too cold to grow these without a greenhouse--truly a tropical species.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Mongosteens grow best in the shade of Breadfruit Artocarpus altilis and protected by several huge clumps of Crytostachys renda . :P

fastfeat,The pertinent topic in Cloudforest was "Growing starfruit"by Jack dated Oct.23,2008 and as responded to in pertinent part by Brian on Nov.5,2008 and titled Star Friut(sic).

Mongosteens grow best in the shade of Breadfruit Artocarpus altilis and protected by several huge clumps of Crytostachys renda . :P

That sounds about right.

All these plants love water

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

That sounds about right.

All these plants love water

And lots of it , and constant hot temps , never in single digits on the C scale ..

just noticed I called them Mongosteens !! duh me MONGO make boo boo ..

its to hot here ,, my brain has fried :blink:

wot's a mangosteen ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

fastfeat,The pertinent topic in Cloudforest was "Growing starfruit"by Jack dated Oct.23,2008 and as responded to in pertinent part by Brian on Nov.5,2008 and titled Star Friut(sic).

Bubba--

Will look it up.

Now starfruit, Averrhoa carambola (Oxalidaceae) will grow and fruit in milder areas of SoCal. Still wouldn't classify it as "growing like a weed", though the related weed, Oxalis canaliculata, DOES grow like, well, a weed...

Edited by fastfeat

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

wot's a mangosteen ?

Wal,

Mangosteen are delicious, dark purple when ripe and size of an average apple with white flesh in segments inside.

They are common in s-e-asia and usually served as a refresher after hot spicy food to clean your pallet before deserts.

Sometimes called the icecream fruit.

Supurb and now trendy with the natural health as it has many positive health qualities and is also sold as an extract for daily use like a tonic.

You should find it for sale somewhere in Brissy from an asian food market area like the valley.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

I haven't planted mine yet... waiting for my banana and papaya to get big enough to shade it in my orchad area. Other gracinia though, are doing VERY WELL in the full sun.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Bubba,

I post the Cloudforest website a lot... never saw a post that someone said Mangosteens grew like wildflowers in So Cal.

Can you provide a link?

Someone sarcasticly mentioned one growing under breadfruit tree? Now thats funny. Breadfruit leaves get damage below 48f

Though I do have a breadfruit tree growing here in Modesto... it gets pulled under protection when the weathe gets cold... though its still outside right now.

Here is a photo of my breadfruit tree with my 20 ft cherimoya and 10 ft plumeria in the background.

Only the breadfruit tree gets protection.

Jeff

post-116-1226970687_thumb.jpg

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Jeff, Please look at Post 11 in this Post for details of the Cloudforest.It was titled Starfruit.

Jeff, Please look at Post 11 in this Post for details of the Cloudforest.It was titled Starfruit.

Ok.... Heres what I got still don't see where anyone say anything about Mangosteens growing like weeds in socal.

Jeff

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

post is below cut and pasted from cloudforest.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Star Friut

I was at my friends Moms house the other day for the first time shes from Vietnam. I couldnt believe my eyes, her front and back yard was like my home but in 10 more years later ...

her Garden was on ROIDS...lol

Here FN Star fruit was about 17 feet tall and tons of fruit that I picked and shared with friends. Damn sweet she is going to give me some branches so i can root the ...rooting hormones....She has 10 dragon friut as trees and Mangosteen,Cherrys, and tons of exotic fruits....a huge letchy tree...i was blown away ive seen cool house but this was insane.

I have also Plumeria around 150 and 15 different colors...and im now adding Star fruit trees to my collection. Try to buy all your trees from California Rare Friut Growers Association they have top notch trees that are ready for the ground and they will friut...they are pros. also here is the best fert on the planet. www.sprayandgrow.com

use Bills perfect Fertilizer coco wet and spray and grow this will help your friut trees fruit no joke.... ive used this for 14 years

Later Brian Orange County California age 39

The above followup was added by Brian on November 05, 2008 at 7:12 pm PST.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Star Fruit

The liklihood of growing Mangosteen in Southern California is about as likely as finding chickens living happily on Mars.As a result of this statement,I can only conclude that your mommy's jakfruit farm is right behind her coconut plantation.I think you live a little too close to Didny Land.

The above followup was added by keith austin on November 11, 2008 at 6:06 pm PST.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Someone sarcasticly mentioned one growing under breadfruit tree? Now thats funny. Breadfruit leaves get damage below 48f

Though I do have a breadfruit tree growing here in Modesto... it gets pulled under protection when the weathe gets cold... though its still outside right now.

Here is a photo of my breadfruit tree with my 20 ft cherimoya and 10 ft plumeria in the background.

Only the breadfruit tree gets protection.

Jeff

He wasn't being sarcastic at all... He lives in the wet tropics, where he gets 3800mm rain a year. I live in the monsoonal tropics, and only get 2000mm rain a year. Here, we don't have to protect our breadfruit tree... they grow like weeds. Mangosteen on the other hand, needs protection while young.

Regards, Ari :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"