IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bourbon and spirits drinkers ?

edbrown_III

I am starting to dabble in Bourbons and whiskys any fellow bourbon drinkers out there? What is the choice and brand of spirits that you imbibe?

Best regards

Ed

Paul Gila

what brands did you go through to get to that choice ? I have trying various small batches such as Russells reserve Knob hill

and I good one Hancock Reserve ( Ithink ) but will give this a try.

Best regards

Ed

Van Winkle make a few very good bourbons that you can get for under $100 . I agree with Paul on Makers Mark. Makers Mark is my favorite "affordable" bourbon. Decent straight and not too expensive that you feel guilty about mixing it with something. Ed, you should find a decent bar in Jacksonville that has a good whiskey selection (definitely not a fancy bar because it could get expensive very quickly). Once you try a few of the more expensive bourbons they'll probably let you have a free nip of anything they have. Just bring a DD :winkie: .

Also, this is one of many whiskey reviews on the internet.

http://www.whiskyadvocate.com/whisky_reviews.asp

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

makers mark B)

Ill second that. Gentleman jack is good too. I'm more of a scotch drinker though.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I usually drink Jim Beam. It is pretty good and not expensive. Maker's Mark is good too. Anything aged for several years is good. The law says Bourbon must be aged in the barrel for three years. Stuff aged in charred oak barrels for 8 years and longer are very smooth. It has been a long time since I was hard core enough to drink bourbon straight, but aqed bourbon is the definition of "Sipping Whiskey".

Anyone try Jim Beam's "Devil's Cut"?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I usually drink Jim Beam. It is pretty good and not expensive. Maker's Mark is good too. Anything aged for several years is good. The law says Bourbon must be aged in the barrel for three years. Stuff aged in charred oak barrels for 8 years and longer are very smooth. It has been a long time since I was hard core enough to drink bourbon straight, but aqed bourbon is the definition of "Sipping Whiskey".

Anyone try Jim Beam's "Devil's Cut"?

i had it on lake pleasent AZ. unfortunately i only had it the one time and can really recall to much from that day...

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Jim Beam Black. Not too hard, not too gentle.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Woodford Reserve makes a pretty smooth and inexpensive bourbon. My favorite whiskey is an Irish whiskey named Tullamore Dew. Both should be easily available and fairly inexpensive.

Makers Mark for bourbon, Crown for Canadian whisky (not a big American whisky fan), Red Brest for Irish whisky, J&B for blended scotch & Lagavulin for single malt. NO MIXERS. Double Crown on the rocks is my go to drink at the bowling alley when I'm not drinking gin.

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

A holiday gift from a gooooood friend I'll surely save for special occasions. I opened this baby on New Years Eve. Bottled heaven! :mrlooney:

For a "budget" malt I like Balvenie Caribbean Cask.

post-1035-0-36044900-1357047080_thumb.jp

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Wood ford reserve is real good

Per Keith and Bubba Jim Beam was what I was usually drinking before on occasion ,,,,,,

I bought a bottle of hte 12 year old Canadian Club whiskey I tell you I hadnt really thought about Bourbon and the whiskeys until I got hooked on Board walk Empire.

Best New year to all

Ed

Rebel_Yell_Rebel_Yell_Kentucky_Straight_

I used to drink Rebel Yell, back in the '70s and '80s. Unfortunately that distiller folded and sold off the recipe. Now it is considered not so great.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

That Balvenie is my choice for most times when I go to hard liquor. I also like Dalwhinie. Most of the time in a bar, I end up with water because they don't have any really good single malt scotch. So I would rather have water than something that I don't like.

And I drink it on the rocks or neat. Never a mixer in good scotch!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

That Balvenie is my choice for most times when I go to hard liquor. I also like Dalwhinie. Most of the time in a bar, I end up with water because they don't have any really good single malt scotch. So I would rather have water than something that I don't like.

And I drink it on the rocks or neat. Never a mixer in good scotch!

This is the way to drink I am gradually going there I like the full bit of the whiskey but have some trouble nursing drinks

I have been adding just a dash of lime soda to add to the volume and work towards sipping the drink over a spell. Your rule of no mixer applies to Bourbons and other spirtis.

Best wishes

Ed

I guess I have no class because I always mix my bourbon drinks. Usually ginger ale or 7UP or even Mountain Dew!

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Jerry, you have the confidence to trust your own taste ! :greenthumb: (beer and wine only, for me !)

San Francisco, California

Good Gravy I didnt mean to snob this up --- just scratching for some comradery over the web and couldnt think of anything to say about palm trees Best wishes to all drinkers of beer and spirits Ed

For a Bourbon, Elijah Craig 12 fits the bill for me. Sometimes I can find it for less than $25. For whiskey I like Jameson and for Scotch (blend) I like Dewars and single malt Highland Park 12. I used to buy the more premium brands like Pappy Van Winkle (Bourbon) and Lagavulin (Scotch whiskey), but it became quite an expensive indulgence at $70-$80 a bottle. I drink it neat and will cut it with a little water, but no ice. On a related note the Bourbon Chase is a popular relay race in this area. It goes through bourbon country in Kentucky with stops at many of the big distilleries.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Single malt scotch is best left by itself. My favorite at the moment is macallan 12year. Costco has there Kirkland brand single malt 20 year right now for 44$. Very tempted to try it. There private label vodka is great.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Paul Gila

what brands did you go through to get to that choice ? I have trying various small batches such as Russells reserve Knob hill

and I good one Hancock Reserve ( Ithink ) but will give this a try.

Best regards

Ed

i didnt. i had a friend who loved it :winkie:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

• 3 weeks later...

I like my bourbon like I like my women---- 18 years old and full of coke

best quote from my Kentucky trip last July

Buffalo Trace's Thomas h Handy 2009 bottling is the number one american whiskey

Sazerac 18 year old is on a par

Rye whiskey is wear it at

although Ardbeg's Uigeadail 2007

is damn find hooch

I heard George Dickel #12 is a great, underrated Bourbon. Anyone had it? I'm going to try it next time.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Does anyone out there have the ability to enjoy the taste of Bourbon after you get hooked on Scotch. As a lad, I enjoyed Bourbon greatly ( I do remember Rebel Yell), however after I developed a taste for Scotch, I have never had the ability to enjoy Bourbon. It is too thick and a bit syrupy after you pop your whistle on Single Malt. Does anyone else share this unfortunate conundrum?

What you look for is what is looking

I picked up a jug of Jimmy Johnson's "Midnight Moon" Moonshine today just for the fun of it. It is labeled "Batch 232." Should I let it age, lol.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Every once in a while, I watch that moonshiner show on TV. It is fake but still pretty interesting. I have had some store bought moonshine and some illegal stuff. Never cared much for the taste. I think you can buy charred oak strips to put into a jar to mellow it. We were afraid to drink the real moonshine as there were a lot of rumors going around about bad whiskey cut with wood alcohol. We drank it anyway.

I never developed a taste for Scotch either. Although I am 1/4 Scot, I kind of think it is my birthright to support my American invented spirit, Bourbon.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

A friend came over and we took a shot or two of the Jimmy Johnson's "Midnight Moon." It was pretty good stuff, I must admit. Only 80 proof, but really smooth.

I picked up a jug of Jimmy Johnson's "Midnight Moon" Moonshine today just for the fun of it. It is labeled "Batch 232." Should I let it age, lol.

Now that I have tasted it, again and again, I have to say that it is quite excellent. Especially in the form of "Mary is Mooning You." You can figure that one out, I am sure

Does anyone out there have the ability to enjoy the taste of Bourbon after you get hooked on Scotch. As a lad, I enjoyed Bourbon greatly ( I do remember Rebel Yell), however after I developed a taste for Scotch, I have never had the ability to enjoy Bourbon. It is too thick and a bit syrupy after you pop your whistle on Single Malt. Does anyone else share this unfortunate conundrum?

I started out on rum and coke but I don't really like coke. And like you, after I acquired the taste for a good single malt I can't drink bourbon or rum. They are too sweet for me. So I will stick to good scotch and forgo anything else. And I certainly can't drink gin! It tastes like turpentine to me.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Every once in a while, I watch that moonshiner show on TV. It is fake but still pretty interesting. I have had some store bought moonshine and some illegal stuff. Never cared much for the taste. I think you can buy charred oak strips to put into a jar to mellow it. We were afraid to drink the real moonshine as there were a lot of rumors going around about bad whiskey cut with wood alcohol. We drank it anyway.

I never developed a taste for Scotch either. Although I am 1/4 Scot, I kind of think it is my birthright to support my American invented spirit, Bourbon.

The only time I tried it was in the 70's by that time it wasnt commonly available as it was easier to grow reefer ---- but it was prevalent in black bars. One of my buddies got me some from Richmond as sort of a novelty --- I think I bought a gallon for 20 bucks ( the going rate for Jim Beam at the time) --- I only had a little bit of it. theres the wood alcohol issue and they use car radiators to condense it and repair them with solder so the brew is full of lead and what ever gasoline by products are in radiator fuel (this was the days of leaded gasoline)

Best regardds

Ed

Palm Ridge Whiskey is a good choice. It is from a local distillery in Umatilla, about 30 miles NW of Orlando.

Also, Fireball is a totally cool whiskey, it is hot cinnamon flavored. That is the only thing that gets poured into my backpack flask. Its hot going down and warms the innards up. great for cold nights or to mix into a good coffee. It is also great to mix with apple juice or ginger ale but the best way is just to slug it straight.

I'm usually a beer (IPA/Imperial IPA) drinker or gin and tonic/ gin and grapefruit drinker. Nothing beats a good gin.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I don't drink the stuff but I saw an add on TV about a new offering from Jim Beam call "The Devil's Cut"

http://www.jimbeam.com/devils-cut

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Tasmania with its pure water and perfectly ripened barley is quickly capturing the interests of world whisky followers. Distillers like Overeem, Sullivans Cove and Lark have those in the know talking.

Production is limited and sells out quickly. Well worth sampling if your a fan of the Speyside malts.

Palm Ridge Whiskey is a good choice. It is from a local distillery in Umatilla, about 30 miles NW of Orlando.

Also, Fireball is a totally cool whiskey, it is hot cinnamon flavored. That is the only thing that gets poured into my backpack flask. Its hot going down and warms the innards up. great for cold nights or to mix into a good coffee. It is also great to mix with apple juice or ginger ale but the best way is just to slug it straight.

I'm usually a beer (IPA/Imperial IPA) drinker or gin and tonic/ gin and grapefruit drinker. Nothing beats a good gin.

Eric- if you ever make it out so San Diego you will be in heaven. We have soooooo many IPAs that it will make your head spin. I'm still trying to drink my way through my favorite liquor store.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean