IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Booyah! FPS meeting #1!

redbeard917

Well, it was good to meet everyone. We learned that the questionably palmy university campus here in Tallahassee is seeking to increase the number of palms on its grounds by not removing volunteer Sabals, and through new plantings such as this one:

012a.jpg

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

I think there were 5 species of plants growing on the trunk of this Butia.

016a.jpg

Edited by redbeard917

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

The queens and Rhapist palms made it through a colder-than-average winter without a scratch in this courtyard.

024a.jpg

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

that last shot totally took me by surprise! :D

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

We couldn't ID this species.

026a.jpg

I'll bet BS Man can ID this bush/weed. I thought I saw many of these growing in his yard when I was outhere. :lol:

BTW, for get the palms, the oak trees are to die for!!! Thanks for the great pics.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

whoa looks like jeff had a big "snarklet latte" this morning for breakfast...

still "warning-free."

booyah!

We had a nice meeting with lots of enthusiaum. We have set in motion the process of creating a palm society here. the goal is more palmage for the Florida capital.

anyone is welcome to join in the fun.

Thiose are the paypayas that made it through the winter unscathed on campus, A work Of David Macmanus at FSU.

S. palmetto, live oak, Butia, cherry laurel, and indian hawthorne I believe were all growing out of that one Butia sp. 'mixed cocktail' :lol:

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

whoa looks like jeff had a big "snarklet latte" this morning for breakfast...

No....just a "parking on the grass" issue late saturday out in front of the house. Almost got out of control..... :rage:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

watch yer blood pressure,jeff!

still "warning-free."

Paul, we were pretty surprised to see it too. They did a good job with it. I bet there are some stories around that van.

Jeff, I will endeavor to get more live oaks when photographing palms.

Luke, thanks for organizing the soiree.

I attended FSU and remember at least one occasion where landscapers removed lots of nice volunteer sabals from an otherwise useless bed of liriope. It's good to know that policy has changed.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Queens and Papayas in Tally? Saw the mature fruit on that one specimen. I am going to guess a Ficus benjamin on Post 15 that took some frost but will be coming back. Those Oaks are hard to beat. Thanks

What you look for is what is looking

Bubba, it must be a good microclimate because those plants would have looked like a war zone at my place outside the city limits. I probably saw about 14F earlier this year. That's actually a planting of an artificial ficus. Glad you liked the pics. I'll get the real monster live oaks next time.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Yea.... I spotted the FAKE ficus loosing its leaves, we got a good laugh outta it! :lol: from a distance when I first spotted it, I was like "woah. that thing got napalmed!"

Luke

63" rain annually

That fruiting Papaya is amazing in Tally. Still amazing to see all the Queens going up there. With those Oaks, who cares if you cannot grow Ficus.

That fruiting Papaya is amazing in Tally. Still amazing to see all the Queens going up there. With those Oaks, who cares if you cannot grow Ficus.

That papaya doesn't look look fruiting to me. I would be surprised to see a fruiting plant with the winter cold they get.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Epic, I am suprised also but check the two Papayas hanging from the tree on the right.

Epic, I am suprised also but check the two Papayas hanging from the tree on the right.

I only see 2 yellow leaves on that one to the right. :unsure:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

yea, I dont think it had fruit. I keep a lookout for fruit.

Bubba: "all the queens going up here" ...theres not many, I know of about 25 in town. There is a group that seeds though as I collected seed last year and have offspring.

Luke

63" rain annually

• 1 month later...