IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Stumbled Across This Product - Lutz Palm Spikes

_Keith

This seemed interesting.  Anyone with experience with this product.   Opinions?  Yeah, I know, like I had to ask with this crowd, LOL. :D

https://www.lutzcorp.com/index.cfm

post-1207-1206253010_thumb.png

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Mr. Lutz used to be a member of this board and maybe still is.

I remember using a similar product, Agriform, when I was a landscraper.  It was always easy doing an inspection later to make sure each plant got fert, you just pull up the occaisional plant and look for two or three pills.  In my opinion, the analysis for these pills and spikes are pretty good but the efficiency of the actual fert is less than optimal.  The problem is that it is concentrated in only a relatively few areas and not broadcast over the entire root zone.  This is especially true in a mature tree.  As I recall, old studies suggest that the concentrated fert might burn tender feeder roots and because it is concentrated in one area, may be prone to leaching into the water table (or at least below the root zone) before it could be totally utilized by the plant.

That and $1.80 will get you a cup of coffee.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I used them for a couple of years, now I have run out.  The palms looked much better when I was still using the spikes.  I had ordered a box of 125 (I think) fertilizer spikes and the total price inluding $20 shipping was $95.  The local nursery was selling them individually for $1.59.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

I either have great soil and or Lutz Spikes are great! I got 2 1/2' of trunk on a windmill palm in less than 2 yrs.  My queens are shooting up fast.  From $50.00 box store size to 17' in less than two yrs.  Other palms are doing great too.

test

Buy a case of the maintenance spikes and six packs of the specialized stuff.  Good product, fair price.  I recommend them.

I also recommend sealing the package if you don't use all the spikes at time of delivery.  In areas with high humidity, the spikes begin to crumble after a while.

Kevin

- USDA Zone 8B -

"Looking for ways to grow tropical palms in Houston; that trip to Singapore changed my life!"

You guys are making a pretty good unsolicited sales pitch.  I already put my spring fertilizer, but that will only be good to July.  I may order a case for the summer.

Are you using them once a year, twice a years, or as you see the need?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I have used lutz spikes, and vigoro spikes for palms.  The trace element spikes are only for deficiencies(sick palms) as the traces are in the basic palm spikes.  Spikes work better than broadcast fertilizer in clay soils as the fertilizer will not wash away, it tends to penetrate into the ground getter if located right next to an irrigatioin dripper.  In sandy soils, there really is no reason to use a spike and I expect the distribution of nutrients wouldnt be as good as broadcast fertilizer.  Today in my ammended clay soils, I use both.  All my palms seem to grow quite a bit better with the spikes, but I expect that has to do more with the soil type.  I basically learned all this from a guy who has been growing palms here for 30 years, and I did note a substantial growth spurt when I started using the spikes.   So I spike 3x a year, 3 spikes a tree, and then broadcast fertilize every 6-8 weeks in addition.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

The spikes are great if you have any palms in lawn areas and don't want to broadcast large amounts of granular fertilizer on the lawn. I used to use the Lutz maintenance spikes but now use the less expensive Vigoro palm spikes that the Home Depot sells. They're $6.99 for a box of 16 spikes.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

(htownpalmer @ Mar. 23 2008,13:56)

Buy a case of the maintenance spikes and six packs of the specialized stuff.  Good product, fair price.  I recommend them.

I also recommend sealing the package if you don't use all the spikes at time of delivery.  In areas with high humidity, the spikes begin to crumble after a while.

i bought a case a few years ago...excellent...tho the unused ones did crumble.

A local "PalmDoctor" recommends them...esp for problems. . . usually break in half...putting half on each side of needy palm

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

• 1 year later...

Palms are mostly shallow rooted "top feeders". Since water (the catylist to distribute the minerals) follows the rules of gravity, the spikes will add nutrition just below and slightly adjacent to it. Being said, I will continue broadcasting my fertilizer granules so all the roots have the best chance of uptaking the greatest amount of nutritional amendments.

Just my opinion, do what works for you! :rolleyes:

Best regards, :)

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B