Sign in to follow this  
elHoagie

weather in my garden

elHoagie

In the middle of January I started recording the temperature inside a homemade Stephenson screen located in an exposed part of my garden.  I've finally analyzed some of the data, and put a summary up on my website.

Jack's weather

spockvr6

Jack-

Looks good!  But, it sure does seem like you guys had a very cool late winter/spring.

Do you have a pic of your Stephenson Screen?

And, is your thermometer able to read down to 0.1C resolution (regardless of whether its actually precise to 0.1C)?  I ask as, in the metric system, 1 degree resolution is quite wide when one starts getting down towards the freezing point.

spockvr6

Heres a pic of my homemade Stephenson Screen.  Its since had another "hat" added to the top.

Its also aggressivelly fan aspirated (I measured 9-11 ft/sec through it) through both the small holes in the sides and a larger hole in the top under the hat.  It works like a champ as Ive never had a bogus high temperature reading this summer.

Picture_0315.jpg

elHoagie

(spockvr6 @ Aug. 25 2006,21:08)

Jack-

Looks good!  But, it sure does seem like you guys had a very cool late winter/spring.

And, is your thermometer able to read down to 0.1C resolution (regardless of whether its actually precise to 0.1C)?  I ask as, in the metric system, 1 degree resolution is quite wide when one starts getting down towards the freezing point.

Larry,

Yeah, this spring was terrible.  I recorded the coldest day in my 3 years in Altadena in late Feb (1C), then that record was broken three weeks later in mid March (0C).  Also, I think March was the coldest month since 1990 in LA (coldest month, not just coldest March).

I'll try to get a picture of the Stephenson screen in the next couple days.  It's not too different from yours.

My thermometer displays temperatures with 0.1 degree resolution (in F or C).  But, I only trust the accuracy to about 1C, which is why I rounded all the data.

Jack

MattyB

Very interesting.  I love your weather stuff Jack!  You big scientist you!

elHoagie

(MattyB @ Aug. 31 2006,01:21)

Thanks Matt.  I try to stay as nerdy as possible...

elHoagie

Larry,

I finally got off my lazy ass and took a picture (actually la Hoagie took a picture).  Anyway, here it is.

post-74-1158115951_thumb.jpg

SunnyFl

(elHoagie @ Sep. 12 2006,22:52)

Larry,

I finally got off my lazy ass and took a picture (actually la Hoagie took a picture).  Anyway, here it is.

What is a Stevenson Screen?  Something to shield a thermom from the sun?

STEVE IN SO CAL

(elHoagie @ Aug. 31 2006,13:04)

(MattyB @ Aug. 31 2006,01:21)

Thanks Matt.  I try to stay as nerdy as possible...

I suggest that we call Jack...THE PROFESSOR...from here on out.

Make me a radio out of a coconut, Jack...err...professor.

(it's not so bad...Mary ann had a crush on him)

elHoagie

Ha ha wha. Oh, sorry I'm late. There was trouble at the lab with the running and the exploding and the crying when the monkeys stole the glasses off my head. Wh-ha ha.

post-74-1158170573_thumb.jpg

elHoagie

(SunnyFl @ Sep. 12 2006,23:05)

(elHoagie @ Sep. 12 2006,22:52)

Larry,

What is a Stevenson Screen?  Something to shield a thermom from the sun?

Yeah, just something to shield the thermometer from the sun while also allowing for good air movement across the thermometer.

spockvr6

Jack-

Your screen looks great!

These things are pretty much, IMO, required to get good high temp readings.  Otherwise, the slightest bit of sun yields an obviously flawed result.

Merely hiding the sensor in a spot which does not see sun (like tucked under the eave of a roof, etc) is something many folks do, but this will usually give a falsely high low temp reading on colder nights.

So, one is usually left to devise some sort of ventilated shelter for the thermometer to get realible readings and these types of screens seem to work well.

BobbyinNY
Yeah, just something to shield the thermometer from the sun while also allowing for good air movement across the thermometer

Excellent, Jack..... I have to make one of those for my greenhouse... I was getting so many false readings last year it was ridiculous..... Went from 60f to 110f in an hour... lol... now we Know that's impossible.