rttunc

Any fertilizer suggestions for a semi-novice that tends to struggle with appropriate measurements?!?  I worry about not using enough but then also overdoing it!  Are the spikes any good?  I just moved to south Florida and have really taken advantage of it with my palm collection, but am limited to having them in pots for the foreseeable future.  Any (affordable and easy to find) recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

PalmsandLiszt

You can't go wrong with osmocote slow-release; you really can't overdo it, and it lasts for six months+. I'm assuming you're talking about relatively small palms in pots, here; with big, really vigorous palms, a liquid feed designed for palms would be more practical. But be very careful with liquid feeds if they are small, and dilute a lot.

I never feed seedlings, unless they're in a medium completely devoid of fine organic matter, in which case I only use osmocote.

I don't know what you're growing, but if you've just moved to Southern Florida, chances are you'll be able to plant out lots of them if you get the opportunity (unless you only grow palms from the Colombian cloudforest, etc.), so that is a different ballgame, and I defer to the millions of posters from Southern Florida on here on the other forum.

My measurements are pretty vague; it's like cooking, you just get a feel for how much is needed.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Plantking165
      By Plantking165
      I've been noticing some necrotic spotting that spreads quickly and drying of the whole leaflets down to the petiole follows quickly. Is this a deficiency or something else along with severe yellowing and an orange tinge to some fronds on the younger coconuts the yellowing is getting worse quickly spreading down the leaf. I have fertilized 2 times in the 2 months I've had them. It's just happening really quick and it's a bit concerning as it's dying off quicker than it's growing by a long shot.

• Plantking165
      By Plantking165
      This morning I found a large brown beetle with a horn i looked it up its a rhino beetle I know they attack coconut palms he burrowed into the ground quickly so I couldn't get a picture or get to him so he escaped. Do yall think they would be a threat to my 3 coconut palms if they are just in the yard? Here is the hole he dug and he looked something like this pic I found on tbe internet. I also found a medium sized black beetle on my coconut this morning he flew off tho but I don't think that one was of importance.

• Sadplantmom
      By Sadplantmom
      Hi all!
      Last fall, I acquired a large Christmas Palm that I brought to my apt in NYC. The palm started to rapidly decline, but I believe it was just shocked and getting used to the new environment. By spring it was opening up many new fronds and I was so happy that it wasn’t fully dead.

I have been battling spider mites on this thing for months and unfortunately the mites have been winning. I have tried everything - spraying them down with water, neem oil, insecticidal soap, and most recently Nuke Em. Last month I brought the palm outside to begin spraying it with Nuke Em every two- three days, and three of my newest and biggest fronds snapped!!! I am so devastated. Does anyone know why that could have happened?
      A plant person I talked to told me that the palm was weak from growing indoors and couldn’t handle being outside in the wind. I was surprised because it’s a tree after all, and I saw a lot of posts in this forum with people living in cold climates bringing their tropicals outside for the summer. I assume there is no saving these fronds, but I bought a bunch of gardening tape to try to graft them / stand them up bc it hurts my heart to have to cut them off since they’re still green and since the palm doesn’t have that many fronds in the first place. 
      Of course, the spider mites have not died either… I just can’t get rid of them for almost a year. 
      If all this wasn’t enough, I recently discovered that ants have made a home in the pot. Given the huge size of this pot and tree, submerging the pot is not an option here. Any recommendations on getting rid of the ants?
      I am thinking of just taking all of the soil out of the pot and cleaning it out, then putting fresh soil in. Any recommendations on what soil mix to buy or use? Anything that is commercially available would be preferable as I am clearly not an experienced plant person :(
      Again, appreciate all of your expertise and help  - please do keep your mean words to yourself if you have them, I truly am trying my best to keep this palm alive and save it from all these horrid pests! 
      Sincerely,
      sandplantmom

• Plantking165
      By Plantking165
      I thought coconut leaf bases died slowly and turned light brown like this one its still dying slow and then my fiji is rapidly killing a leaf base in a span of 5 days it went from green and yellow to this dark color and dying is that a normal color and speed for the death of an old leaf base? If not what could be causing this?

• Plantking165
      By Plantking165
      Today I was watering my coconuts and I noticed a bit of white mold on tbe outside of my red spicata so I decided to tear off a bit of the leaf base and the fuzzy stuff on the base got inside the areas between the trunk and the leaf base and there was a bunch of white mold or fungus down there is that normal or harmful? It was quite a bit. Also will a copper fungicide get rid of it.