DesertCoconut

Help me ID my mislabeled palm

DesertCoconut

I ordered a Syagrus cearensis about 3 years ago on Ebay. It came as a double strap-leafed seedling and the 2 looked very much the same. Until a year later I noticed it didn't quite look right. One of the palms was starting to go palmate. I removed the one that was obviously a syagrus and so this one remained as a mystery. I'm thinking Sabal? I'm from Arizona so I'm used to seeing Sabals of this size so I could be way off base. I have a S. urseana about the same age and it doesn't look anything like this. It's hard to tell from the picture, but when it's in the shade the tops of the leaves are a dark blue-green which is something I'm also not accustomed to seeing in palms I've grown so far. The undersides are a lighter green. It also has a  heel. When I removed the Syagrus from the pot I saw it had a HUGE yellow root in this tiny pot. It seems to be doing well. It's never been protected from cold and it really started picking up speed this past summer after I removed the Syagrus (which sadly died).  Any ideas?  TIA

20211219_121549.jpg

gilles06

Looks like sabal...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DesertCoconut
On 12/19/2021 at 12:51 PM, gilles06 said:

Looks like sabal...

Any guesses on which species?

tjwalters
2 hours ago, DesertCoconut said:

Any guesses on which species?

If it's a Sabal (and I think it is), the lack of visible fibers on the leaves and the blue-green color you mentioned would make me think S. minor.

DesertCoconut
1 hour ago, tjwalters said:

If it's a Sabal (and I think it is), the lack of visible fibers on the leaves and the blue-green color you mentioned would make me think S. minor.

Thanks! We'll see how well it does here in the desert.