Jump to content
Manos33

In depth analysis of the Athens Riviera climate and palm potential

Recommended Posts

ego
38 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Ψαξ το λίγο!

Δουλεύω πάντως!!! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33

Temperatures are rapidly climbing in the Athens Riviera since the past 3 hours snowfall has stopped and cloud cover continues which pushes the temperatures upwards. Currently the highest temps are found in Piraeus where locally I see in Kastella area the T has already climbed to almost 4C. So some tropical plants might have survived in Piraeus today given that snow did not settle at all and T's are not that extreme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UK_Palms

This is turning into quite a significant snowfall event. Given Athens is at 37N latitude, this must be one of the worst snow events the Mediterranean region has seen, certainly in recent decades. I haven't even experienced that much snow here in rural England since 2010 probably. There are reports now of 40cm snow depth inside the Athens city area. That is going to be a lot of frozen water weight resting on top of palm fronds, just saying...

 

As for the palms...

FJ3c5kTXIAYNEPh.thumb.jpg.dbf0254dd13e037b13002506aca817af.jpg

 

This is crazy! The biggest winter event for Europe so far this winter. I also see that Santorini got hit as well. Crazy.

 

Does anyone know how Karpathos and Kasos faired? Did they escape the snow?

Edited by UK_Palms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33
31 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Does anyone know how Karpathos and Kasos faired? Did they escape the snow?

Yes, they did. At least the coastal areas.

Both islands however show snow at altitudes over 300 meters. 

Kasos registered the lowest temperature ever recorded from 1989 (when the Kasos weather station was first installed) with 3C according to Greece's Met Office.

Edited by Manos33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33
33 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

This is turning into quite a significant snowfall event. Given Athens is at 37N latitude, this must be one of the worst snow events the Mediterranean region has seen, certainly in recent decades. I haven't even experienced that much snow here in rural England since 2010 probably. There are reports now of 40cm snow depth inside the Athens city area. 

For downtown Athens it rivals 2002 when it was snowing non stop for 3 consecutive days with some areas reporting as high as 20 or 30cm of snow depths in the centre. We will have to wait the report from Greece's met office to confirm however I have the feeling that the parts closest to Imitos mountain situated around the centre of Athens might have surpassed 2002 making it possibly the worst snowfall in downtown Athens the past century. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
petiole10

This puts the perspective of growing coconut palms within this topic into extra and much more realistic perspective.... There will be many less tender palms than coconut palms struggling with these terrible conditions, Very sad to see and a reminder of what Mother Nature can do at Mediterranean latitudes.  But as I posted recently, SE Europe is more prone than western most areas of Mediterranean Europe to receiving undiluted arctic airmasses heading across land-locked Eurasia during winter.   Hopefully palms recover better than any red palm weevil hosts living within them who will also get hit by this severe weather .

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33

Here is the time lapse for the entire day yesterday confirming that the Piraeus Port was one of the few areas of the Athens Riviera that could not manage settled snow in any surface.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/el/webcam/ellada/atiki/piraeus/port-of-piraeus/timelapse.html

 

 

Edited by Manos33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenikakias
9 hours ago, Manos33 said:

For downtown Athens it rivals 2002 when it was snowing non stop for 3 consecutive days with some areas reporting as high as 20 or 30cm of snow depths in the centre. We will have to wait the report from Greece's met office to confirm however I have the feeling that the parts closest to Imitos mountain situated around the centre of Athens might have surpassed 2002 making it possibly the worst snowfall in downtown Athens the past century. 

2004, I was there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenikakias
9 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

This is turning into quite a significant snowfall event. Given Athens is at 37N latitude, this must be one of the worst snow events the Mediterranean region has seen, certainly in recent decades. I haven't even experienced that much snow here in rural England since 2010 probably. There are reports now of 40cm snow depth inside the Athens city area. That is going to be a lot of frozen water weight resting on top of palm fronds, just saying

 

I live downtown and I can confirm 30 to 40 cm of settled snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33

Some interesting stats are starting to surface from various meteorologists with more details from HNMS and NOA in the following days.

So, it appears that the last time settled snow in downtown Athens has happened in two consecutive years was during the period 1934-1935 according to meteorologist Mr. Kallianos.

Edited by Manos33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenikakias

12 hours ago, Manos33 said:

For downtown Athens it rivals 2002 when it was snowing non stop for 3 consecutive days with some areas reporting as high as 20 or 30cm of snow depths in the centre. We will have to wait the report from Greece's met office to confirm however I have the feeling that the parts closest to Imitos mountain situated around the centre of Athens might have surpassed 2002 making it possibly the worst snowfall in downtown Athens the past century. 

 

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

2004, I was there...

Up to now in terms of duration, amount of snow and min T, current cold spell stays significantly behind the 2004 one. Very little to zero amount of residing snow on foliage downtown. As for its palm killing capacity, today is the most crucial day. 

20220125_112642.thumb.jpg.4f16ef2773a3fca1f678b2ea49d3e338.jpg20220125_112731.thumb.jpg.0ae2efe63094cb152f1ceb15013ef5bc.jpg20220125_112813.thumb.jpg.e26fd81550c55057a78a7248f196298e.jpg

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenikakias
22 hours ago, Alicante said:

 

Could you guys please make pics and post them here? I'm really curious about the snow depth inside the city of Athens, where the UHI is more persistent. 
Also if you can do a brief visit somewhere near the port/sea it would be amazing. Of course just if you can and if it's not a problem for you. Or is there any kind of Greek website/forum or whatever where people are posting pics? I'm really curious about snow and temps. At the moment no Spanish media/newspaper has told anything about the events in Greece. 

 

Today pictures of P Phaliro

FB_IMG_1643105873942.thumb.jpg.60d1ad0d817f47afbe5a3e36417d9536.jpgFB_IMG_1643105865882.thumb.jpg.b281f7b5e491f7435ce3da57a236e7d8.jpg

Yesterday pictures from a friend's garden in Glyphada

IMG-f9a759c2690af3b6780d8b6552cc68ca-V.thumb.jpg.2f07b9fd8aa81daaf6760a05f8e9ea69.jpgIMG-1af7e98e77b8a62127bfc0224023d3a5-V.thumb.jpg.355ea93c7acb34cfca857ed291b466d7.jpgIMG-f80863e4c9e5ce735f6a82d62457d7da-V.thumb.jpg.dd8e86530acbf9c05b19dc3332f64091.jpgIMG-3ffd5c2505e8bdc587a71f9337be65af-V.thumb.jpg.608894d1f4ccee71d13262d53a4ced14.jpgIMG-bd78c926ad35b28547b2fa39a317e448-V.thumb.jpg.9efcda0bbf42ec43229738c6ede6135e.jpgIMG-a672a8d1676c0e3ce99d6c7b3714b55c-V.thumb.jpg.eeb4628fdf494223713b76fbe7ee8b37.jpgIMG-62bd66ab2826a182407ecedc240caf6e-V.thumb.jpg.ee56aa6bac2f987ab0a223ec5e0dec78.jpgIMG-5955fdf324bbbd78ff91e298721048f9-V.thumb.jpg.abb6f27a059b07d6adca202ea1de8909.jpgIMG-c394a60654f4d89a8b868b5b89492f01-V.thumb.jpg.d88e67c844b91470b4d17c4c04d6aac7.jpgIMG-f1317430ac7fe71694cf2d883b8760f3-V.thumb.jpg.48e81d441b627caad737b8768ec7454c.jpgIMG-592725eee2e0b33ee00e58e394729489-V.thumb.jpg.881873f465fe0cd54acaaedb862fbdbc.jpg

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Janni
18 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Στη νοτια Ελλάδα, τρεις κατηγορίες ανθρώπων χαιρονται με το χιόνι: τα παιδιά, τα κοπρόσκυλα (που δεν τα νοιάζει γιατί δε δουλεύουν η δε θελουν να δουλέψουν και αποφεύγουν άλλες εξωεπαγγελματικές υποχρεώσεις) και οι πλούσιοι (που βάζουν άλλους να κάνουν τη δουλειά). Για τους υπόλοιπους κοινούς θνητούς το χιόνι ειναι μονο και μόνο μεγάλος μπελας. Το έφαγα έξι χρόνια στη μαπα στην κεντρικη Ευρώπη και ξέρω πολύ καλά!

Εύχομαι να ανήκεις στους πλούσιους. Δεν χρειάζεται να είσαι πλούσιος σε χρήματα, φτάνει αν είσαι πλούσιος σε χαρά και ευτυχία.  :greenthumb: Νομίζω ότι ανήκω κι εγώ στους πλούσιους. κάθε φορά που κάνει κρύο και χιονίζει εδώ, απλά πρέπει να κοιτάω τα παιδιά μου πώς παίζουν στο χιόνι. Εκείνη ακριβώς τη στιγμή είμαι αμέσως κι εγώ... "πλούσιος" σε χαρά.

I'm watching the whole event closely on meteo.gr and on the greek news. Luckily the temperatures remained close to the 0°C and did not drop much below that mark, at least for the coastal parts of athens/attica. The long duration of the cold wave will do it's harm, but at least it did not go much below zero (until now).

You know it's Greece, when everything is in chaos. Dozens of drivers got stuck on the highway, railway connections are cancelled and the fire brigade (!) has to remove the snow from the streets. :blink: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenikakias
2 minutes ago, Janni said:

Εύχομαι να ανήκεις στους πλούσιους. Δεν χρειάζεται να είσαι πλούσιος σε χρήματα, φτάνει αν είσαι πλούσιος σε χαρά και ευτυχία.  :greenthumb: Νομίζω ότι ανήκω κι εγώ στους πλούσιους. κάθε φορά που κάνει κρύο και χιονίζει εδώ, απλά πρέπει να κοιτάω τα παιδιά μου πώς παίζουν στο χιόνι. Εκείνη ακριβώς τη στιγμή είμαι αμέσως κι εγώ... "πλούσιος" σε χαρά.

I'm watching the whole event closely on meteo.gr and on the greek news. Luckily the temperatures remained close to the 0°C and did not drop much below that mark, at least for the coastal parts of athens/attica. The long duration of the cold wave will do it's harm, but at least it did not go much below zero (until now).

You know it's Greece, when everything is in chaos. Dozens of drivers got stuck on the highway, railway connections are cancelled and the fire brigade (!) has to remove the snow from the streets. :blink: 

Αυτά να τα πεις στους χιλιάδες που εγκλωβίστηκαν στην Αττική Οδο, στις πολλες περισσότερες χιλιαδες που έμειναν χωρίς ρεύμα όλο το βραδυ, στις επιχειρήσεις που χάθηκαν εργατοώρες, στους χιλιάδες εργαζόμενους που ειχαν άγχος πως θα γυρίσουν σπίτι τους...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Janni
4 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Αυτά να τα πεις στους χιλιάδες που εγκλωβίστηκαν στην Αττική Οδο, στις πολλες περισσότερες χιλιαδες που έμειναν χωρίς ρεύμα όλο το βραδυ, στις επιχειρήσεις που χάθηκαν εργατοώρες, στους χιλιάδες εργαζόμενους που ειχαν άγχος πως θα γυρίσουν σπίτι τους...

Ξέρω τι εννοείς, αλλά το χιόνι δεν φταίει για αυτό που συνέβη εκεί. αυτό είναι άλλο θέμα, που δεν ανήκει εδώ...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33
6 hours ago, Janni said:

Ξέρω τι εννοείς, αλλά το χιόνι δεν φταίει για αυτό που συνέβη εκεί. αυτό είναι άλλο θέμα, που δεν ανήκει εδώ...

Η πλήρης ανοργανωσιά φταίει. Αλλά την πρόγνωση για το χιόνι στην Αθήνα την είχαν...Το οτι δεν είμαστε συνηθισμένοι στα χιόνια στην Ελλάδα έχει πάψει εδώ και χρόνια να αποτελεί άλλοθι γιατί και αυτό το άκουσα.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33

So from a quick research about yesterday's snowfall in Athens it appears that the following areas of SW and coastal areas of Athens did not manage settled snow on the ground: Downtown Piraeus, Nikaia, Drapetsona, low altitude Korydallos neighbourhoods,  SW Aigaleo, Maniatika, Kaminia, Skaramagkas, low altitude Aspropyrgos and Elefsina. Basically mostly SW areas.  Anything south of Piraeus on the coast got decent snow settling on the ground with the highest concentrations of settled snow in the coastal areas were to be found around Alimos, Glyfada and Faliro. 

Edited by Manos33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33

Also tonight will be the most crucial night in terms of Tmin in Athens. So far Nea Smyrni went down to +0.8C during the snowfall yesterday. I am curious to see what it will register tonight. So far the all time low for Nea Smyrni NOA station is -0.4C 

http://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/neasmyrni/

 

Edited by Manos33
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenikakias
10 hours ago, Manos33 said:

Also tonight will be the most crucial night in terms of Tmin in Athens. So far Nea Smyrni went down to +0.8C during the snowfall yesterday. I am curious to see what it will register tonight. So far the all time low for Nea Smyrni NOA station is -0.4C 

http://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/neasmyrni/

 

So, are there new data available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33
2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

So, are there new data available?

Yes, Nea Smyrni did not drop below 2.3C in the morning and Faliro did not drop below 2.4C according to the National Observatory of Athens stations.

The absolute lowest temperatures during this cold snap were +0.8C for Nea Smyrni and +0.9C for Faliro on the 24th of January. Which once again goes to show that even in the most intense snowfalls it is very difficult to go below freezing in the Athens Riviera. Mind you that the Athens Riviera was receiving non stop snowfalls for around 12 hours on the 24th of January and still the temperature was unable to drop below 0 at any coastal meteorological station.

Below the screen shots from this morning's minimums in Nea Smyrni and Faliro NOA stations.

 

1966319416_Screenshot2022-01-26at10_13_28AM.png.88f9c2e8d3b4371a2f5f9d14c819f71d.png325037322_Screenshot2022-01-26at10_13_04AM.png.895da6fcab4459c22fe69ee988ca3270.png

Edited by Manos33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Janni
On 1/25/2022 at 12:36 PM, Phoenikakias said:

Today pictures of P Phaliro

FB_IMG_1643105873942.thumb.jpg.60d1ad0d817f47afbe5a3e36417d9536.jpgFB_IMG_1643105865882.thumb.jpg.b281f7b5e491f7435ce3da57a236e7d8.jpg

Yesterday pictures from a friend's garden in Glyphada

IMG-f9a759c2690af3b6780d8b6552cc68ca-V.thumb.jpg.2f07b9fd8aa81daaf6760a05f8e9ea69.jpgIMG-1af7e98e77b8a62127bfc0224023d3a5-V.thumb.jpg.355ea93c7acb34cfca857ed291b466d7.jpgIMG-f80863e4c9e5ce735f6a82d62457d7da-V.thumb.jpg.dd8e86530acbf9c05b19dc3332f64091.jpgIMG-3ffd5c2505e8bdc587a71f9337be65af-V.thumb.jpg.608894d1f4ccee71d13262d53a4ced14.jpgIMG-bd78c926ad35b28547b2fa39a317e448-V.thumb.jpg.9efcda0bbf42ec43229738c6ede6135e.jpgIMG-a672a8d1676c0e3ce99d6c7b3714b55c-V.thumb.jpg.eeb4628fdf494223713b76fbe7ee8b37.jpgIMG-62bd66ab2826a182407ecedc240caf6e-V.thumb.jpg.ee56aa6bac2f987ab0a223ec5e0dec78.jpgIMG-5955fdf324bbbd78ff91e298721048f9-V.thumb.jpg.abb6f27a059b07d6adca202ea1de8909.jpgIMG-c394a60654f4d89a8b868b5b89492f01-V.thumb.jpg.d88e67c844b91470b4d17c4c04d6aac7.jpgIMG-f1317430ac7fe71694cf2d883b8760f3-V.thumb.jpg.48e81d441b627caad737b8768ec7454c.jpgIMG-592725eee2e0b33ee00e58e394729489-V.thumb.jpg.881873f465fe0cd54acaaedb862fbdbc.jpg

 

Looks like it is (or was) a really nice garden with a true tropical touch. Do you think the plants will survive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenikakias

Yew, because plalts have been taken care of on time. All snow removed three times during and after the snow fall and plants watered with luke warm water from aquarium.  The real test will be conducted in my garden, which I will visit on coming weekeend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33
2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Yew, because plalts have been taken care of on time. All snow removed three times during and after the snow fall and plants watered with luke warm water from aquarium.  The real test will be conducted in my garden, which I will visit on coming weekeend.

Given that even downtown Athens did not drop below zero your garden should be fine

Edited by Manos33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33

An interesting statistic I heard on TV from meteorologist Mr.Kallianos regarding the Piraeus Port: Given that snow did not settle over there, Piraeus Port is now the prime candidate to break the record for the area in the Athens Riviera with the longest period without snow fully settling on the streets.  Last time the Piraeus Port had fully settled snow on the streets was in 2008. Previous record was Vouliagmeni where snow did not settle for 15 years between the period 1987-2002 

Edited by Manos33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Janni

The low pressure system went further in direction south-east. It snowed in Antalya and Jerusalem where temperatures also hit 0 C! Cyprus was hit by low temperatures as well. 
 

Maybe the weather just wanted to make its statement to this discussion. Now we know for sure (what some of us already said before): the USDA Zones are not applicable to the mediterranen climate without major adjustments. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenikakias
1 hour ago, Janni said:

The low pressure system went further in direction south-east. It snowed in Antalya and Jerusalem where temperatures also hit 0 C! Cyprus was hit by low temperatures as well. 
 

Maybe the weather just wanted to make its statement to this discussion. Now we know for sure (what some of us already said before): the USDA Zones are not applicable to the mediterranen climate without major adjustments. 

I would like to add just another axiom: it happened once (with view to the 2004 freaking cold spell), it may happen again! If not a resounding verification of the Murphy's law with respect to contemporary cold spell. The big stick is the frequency of such weather events. In the last 20 years we have had 4 such events, three of which had a rather high capacity of palm kill. Had I known it in advance, I would probably have stayed away from cultivation of more tender palms. This cold spell in terms of settled snow's persistence is probably equal to the 2004 one or even worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33
2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

 This cold spell in terms of settled snow's persistence is probably equal to the 2004 one or even worse.

The National Observatory of Athens has just published in Greek an exhaustive list of all the times snow settled in Downtown Athens (according to the Thiseio station observations)  and ranked them by snow depth.

https://www.meteo.gr/article_view.cfm?entryID=2113

So for Downtown Athens it's the second highest snow depth in the 21st century  with 20cm after the 2008 cold snap with 25cm. Btw in 1911 the snow depth was a meter and a half!!Wow

 

395624144_Screenshot2022-01-27at3_43_39PM.png.0003fc1e091fd5865a9b8dd730808e3f.png

 

Edited by Manos33
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33

A rare picture of the 1934 cold snap in Athens with the Palm trees on the background

 

883764007_Screenshot2022-01-27at4_05_45PM.png.b9f439c39fa2ec6baa312eb531141000.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicante
4 hours ago, Manos33 said:

The National Observatory of Athens has just published in Greek an exhaustive list of all the times snow settled in Downtown Athens (according to the Thiseio station observations)  and ranked them by snow depth.

https://www.meteo.gr/article_view.cfm?entryID=2113

So for Downtown Athens it's the second highest snow depth in the 21st century  with 20cm after the 2008 cold snap with 25cm. Btw in 1911 the snow depth was a meter and a half!!Wow

 

395624144_Screenshot2022-01-27at3_43_39PM.png.0003fc1e091fd5865a9b8dd730808e3f.png

 

I would doubt on the early 20th century temperatures as they weren't as accurate as today. But snow depth is measured in the same way as it was 100 years ago, Jesus Christ did it really fall 1.5 METERS of snow in Downtown Athens in 1911? For real though? I think it's way too excessive! Can you contact them to ask if that's proved? lol 

What it says on the right side of the chart, can you please translate it? Something like Aiápke... sorry I don't have Greek letters on my keyboard. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Manos33 said:

A rare picture of the 1934 cold snap in Athens with the Palm trees on the background

 

883764007_Screenshot2022-01-27at4_05_45PM.png.b9f439c39fa2ec6baa312eb531141000.png

What a gem. Although wouldn't be there similar photos from the 2008 cold event? If you find something, it would be great to have them here!

I also see that the 2021-2022 events were considerably "warmer" than 2008 or the other times Athens had similar amounts of snow but much lower temps! Notice how in 2008 the snow depth was similar yet the recorded low was -5.0ºC while this year has been -0.2ºC and the snow difference is just 5cm according to HNMS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33
1 hour ago, Alicante said:

I would doubt on the early 20th century temperatures as they weren't as accurate as today. But snow depth is measured in the same way as it was 100 years ago, Jesus Christ did it really fall 1.5 METERS of snow in Downtown Athens in 1911? For real though? I think it's way too excessive! Can you contact them to ask if that's proved? lol 
What it says on the right side of the chart, can you please translate it? Something like Aiápke... sorry I don't have Greek letters on my keyboard. Thank you!What a gem. Although wouldn't be there similar photos from the 2008 cold event? If you find something, it would be great to have them here!
I also see that the 2021-2022 events were considerably "warmer" than 2008 or the other times Athens had similar amounts of snow but much lower temps! Notice how in 2008 the snow depth was similar yet the recorded low was -5.0ºC while this year has been -0.2ºC and the snow difference is just 5cm according to HNMS.

Mind you that these are ''estimations'' from NOA not from HNMS. Also note that the Thiseio station is atop a hill free of any obstructions so 1911 would not be that far off if the winds brought the snow on the hill on a specific inclination. However for the urban setting in Athens Mr.Ziakopoulos (the former HNMS director) noted that in 1911 the true snow depth in downtown Athens was probably around 40cm. 

In terms of the T's also note that all the events from 2008 and before had T's at 850Pha at -11C or -12C which is something pretty rare for Attica. While the events last year and this year had T's at 850Pha at around -8C or -9C. The overarching theme of snowfalls in Athens (mostly those without snow settling which is the vast majority and happen every few years) is the fact that snow falls with above freezing T's. This is the most common characteristic of the ''Prosinemos'' cold snaps in Attica. 

This is why Athens had, has and will continue to have lemon trees, orange trees, olives and palms. It takes pretty rare events for T's to drop below freezing and in total in downtown Athens this has happened only very few times from the 18th century that we have data from the Thiseio station,

Lastly, the written text in the pic is not in Greek. It's in English! It says ''Athens 15/2/1934''

Edited by Manos33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicante
10 hours ago, Manos33 said:

Lastly, the written text in the pic is not in Greek. It's in English! It says ''Athens 15/2/1934''

No, I've said on the right side of the chart, not on the picture with the snow.  This:

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 3.43.39 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33
5 hours ago, Alicante said:

No, I've said on the right side of the chart, not on the picture with the snow.  This:

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 3.43.39 PM.png

Ok which bit exactly? If you mean the very last column then it reads ''Duration of snowfall (hours)'' . So it's a description of how many hours it was snowing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenikakias
7 hours ago, Alicante said:

No, I've said on the right side of the chart, not on the picture with the snow.  This:

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 3.43.39 PM.png

Recent pictures of Voula in the core of Athens Riviera. Note that about 200 m from seashore straight inland grows for many years a Royal.

FB_IMG_1643372185202.thumb.jpg.0b10cae5009fb7472d18eb1b977041aa.jpgFB_IMG_1643372193309.thumb.jpg.348b485fd7217401c58bf25585637d96.jpgFB_IMG_1643372205099.thumb.jpg.ab543f3b96e02f9d06a4b2b6dc17fe36.jpgFB_IMG_1643372219578.thumb.jpg.1f6ce9c4a5aaa25a7deeb0955cf1978c.jpgFB_IMG_1643372212887.thumb.jpg.809a2bbbbc3e5c8a658f02ff44c92e14.jpgFB_IMG_1643372226988.thumb.jpg.dae0fea7a7270013f3c0107528114ff2.jpgFB_IMG_1643372234397.thumb.jpg.d61662715ed420cdd1b0f98539e4459a.jpgFB_IMG_1643372245225.thumb.jpg.a7bc565e044c94a715f0f8ce98c92b11.jpgFB_IMG_1643372252235.thumb.jpg.7e2c0642f5d40508c467b7752c8eb10e.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicante
5 hours ago, Manos33 said:

Ok which bit exactly? If you mean the very last column then it reads ''Duration of snowfall (hours)'' . So it's a description of how many hours it was snowing. 

Yep, that part. Thanks. Unfortunately I'm unable to read Greek. 

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Recent pictures of Voula in the core of Athens Riviera. Note that about 200 m from seashore straight inland grows for many years a Royal.

FB_IMG_1643372185202.thumb.jpg.0b10cae5009fb7472d18eb1b977041aa.jpgFB_IMG_1643372193309.thumb.jpg.348b485fd7217401c58bf25585637d96.jpgFB_IMG_1643372205099.thumb.jpg.ab543f3b96e02f9d06a4b2b6dc17fe36.jpgFB_IMG_1643372219578.thumb.jpg.1f6ce9c4a5aaa25a7deeb0955cf1978c.jpgFB_IMG_1643372212887.thumb.jpg.809a2bbbbc3e5c8a658f02ff44c92e14.jpgFB_IMG_1643372226988.thumb.jpg.dae0fea7a7270013f3c0107528114ff2.jpgFB_IMG_1643372234397.thumb.jpg.d61662715ed420cdd1b0f98539e4459a.jpgFB_IMG_1643372245225.thumb.jpg.a7bc565e044c94a715f0f8ce98c92b11.jpgFB_IMG_1643372252235.thumb.jpg.7e2c0642f5d40508c467b7752c8eb10e.jpg

Completely amazing man, thank you for the pics! Do you know the high temps it had from 24 to 26th January? It would be interesting to see if that Roystonea took any damage and if it did, how much. This can help us as a future indicator. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenikakias
52 minutes ago, Alicante said:

Yep, that part. Thanks. Unfortunately I'm unable to read Greek. 

Completely amazing man, thank you for the pics! Do you know the high temps it had from 24 to 26th January? It would be interesting to see if that Roystonea took any damage and if it did, how much. This can help us as a future indicator. 

@Manos33 may help answering your question. If he can find data of the HNMS station in Hellenikon, Voula should have had very similar T, perhaps half a degree lower.

Edited by Phoenikakias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33
15 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

@Manos33 may help answering your question. If he can find data of the HNMS station in Hellenikon, Voula should have had very similar T, perhaps half a degree lower.

The Voula HNMS station is not operational many years now. It was only operational for less than 10 years unfortunately.  I didn't notice the Hellenikon HNMS station maxes but traditionally it is around 0.5C less in winter maxes compared to Nea Smyrni NOA and about the same as various Piraeus NOA stations. 

Edited by Manos33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33

So, I found the max and min T's in Faliro NOA (7km north of Voula) and Anavyssos NOA (15km south of Voula) for the entire cold snap that affected this year the Athens Riviera. Both stations are coastal.

From 22/1 to 27/1. The left columns are for Tmax and the far right columns are for Tmin

Faliro NOA

1102137443_Screenshot2022-01-29at11_24_53AM.png.f74c17b9486a8c8335dfdf28b3639817.png

Anavyssos NOA

851007640_Screenshot2022-01-29at11_25_26AM.png.d5b145bbbc769599a767832f4cbddcfb.png

Edited by Manos33
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenikakias
1 hour ago, Manos33 said:

The Voula HNMS station is not operational many years now. It was only operational for less than 10 years unfortunately.  I didn't notice the Hellenikon HNMS station maxes but traditionally it is around 0.5C less in winter maxes compared to Nea Smyrni NOA and about the same as various Piraeus NOA stations. 

If you used to drive along the coastal stretch, you would have noticed the remarkably continuous T discrepancy between the various coastal areas in the T sensor of the car. Even if those sensors are not acurate, this applies on all measurements made by the same sensor, meaning that there is really temperaturewise a variation between coastal areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenikakias
On 1/25/2022 at 2:14 PM, Janni said:

Ξέρω τι εννοείς, αλλά το χιόνι δεν φταίει για αυτό που συνέβη εκεί. αυτό είναι άλλο θέμα, που δεν ανήκει εδώ...

 

 

 

On 1/25/2022 at 8:33 PM, Manos33 said:

Η πλήρης ανοργανωσιά φταίει. Αλλά την πρόγνωση για το χιόνι στην Αθήνα την είχαν...Το οτι δεν είμαστε συνηθισμένοι στα χιόνια στην Ελλάδα έχει πάψει εδώ και χρόνια να αποτελεί άλλοθι γιατί και αυτό το άκουσα.  

Είναι θέμα συχνότητας επαναλήψεως και διαρκειας καθε φορά.  Οταν ειναι αραια τα φαινόμενα δεν αξιζει οικονομικα να δημιουργηθουν υποδομες. Ειναι  διαμετρικα παρόμοια η κατάσταση με αυτη των βορειων χωρων σε σχεση με φαινομενα καυσωνα.  Είπα οτι τα έχω ζησει ολα δεκαετια του 90 στην κεντρικη Ευρωπη. Ειδα κι εκει πως παρελυαν τα παντα με 25 εως 30 βαθμους το καλοκαίρι. Ούτε ανεμιστήρες δεν διέθεταν τα δημοσια κτήρια. Αν βέβαια τα ακραια αυτα φαινόμενα πολλαπλασιαστουν και γινουν συχνότερα, το ίδιο θα προσαρμοστούν υλικοτεχνολογικα και οι πληττόμενες ανθρώπινες κοινωνίες και θα αλλαξουν συνήθειες και οι άνθρωποι.

Screenshot_20220129-104549_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fe603581b847945e91eb77cbbda8d4a6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manos33
29 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

If you used to drive along the coastal stretch, you would have noticed the remarkably continuous T discrepancy between the various coastal areas in the T sensor of the car. Even if those sensors are not acurate, this applies on all measurements made by the same sensor, meaning that there is really temperaturewise a variation between coastal areas.

Of course, we are talking about Athens after all. Even though these T differences are more pronounced in the summer. Anything south of Faliro especially between Elliniko and Voula can see up to 5C higher maxes than the northern coasts of the Riviera due to the impact of the Imitos mountain. In some cases when a clear fohn is present Elliniko registers the highest maxes in the entire Attica Basin surpassing even Nea Filadelfeia or Elefsina in the summer. These are rare instances but they happen when the fohn is really strong from Imitos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...