Sign in to follow this  
SALOttawa

Royal vs Majesty Palm identification

SALOttawa

Someone near me is selling what he believes to be you g Royal palms. To me, they look like more common majesty palms. Would anyone know how to tell them apart. I have attached their picture of the palms. If you can help,I would appreciate it. Thanks

495D10B9-7D10-4FAF-AA7F-9855796760B7.webp

Silas_Sancona

First thought is Majesty, based on how the leaflets are arranged, but wish i could see how the bases / trunks look.. Would help since Royals can look similar at that age / size.

JLM

Looks quite similar to my Majesty, this image was taken earlier this year.
20210608_100541.jpg.3d1b7e8198904010ee176971afd833b9.jpg

• Like 1

JLM

Also something of note, it looks like that in the image posted, there is more than one palm in the pot. This would suggest that its a Majesty, since you know how big box stores are. Ive never seen a Royal in a big box store, but im pretty sure they are sold as solitary palms. I may be wrong on this conclusion though.

• Like 1

GottmitAlex

Well said. One usually does not happen upon doubles or triples of Royal palms in a pot. But majesties, oh yeah!

• Like 1

SALOttawa

Thank you for answering. Your info was great!

oasis371

They are DEFINITELY Majesty Palms, no comparison.  Royals have much thinner leaves.  At the juvenile stage, a Royal may be confused with a Queen, but still quite distinct.  

Majesty palms do not overwinter well as you probably know and Royals are just about as bad inside (both are very prone to pests such as scale and mealy bugs).  

D Palm

Not a Royal. I grow them from seed. The rootball is way to huge to grow in clusters like that. Also, they grow very upright and close while young.