IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this A. alexandrae?

Looking Glass

I got this guy for $5.00 months ago.   It had 1 yellow leaf, looked like it hadn’t been watered in a month, and was marked “Archontophoenix alexandrae” on a nursery clearance table.   Since I never see these in the ground here, ever, and I’ve never seen one for sale here, I thought it would be a “great idea” to get it.  

I repotted it with good soil, fertilized and watered regularly and aggressively and awaited the rocket-like fantastic growth…….  
After a few months…..  nothing.

No growth, no change.  

So I put it in a bucket to throw out.  

Well, I forgot about it, and it rained a bunch, and the bucket filled with water.   Then I rediscovered it sitting in the water for a month, and it was green and had a new leaf.  So I left it in there, in the now putrid water.   It made another new leaf and has a little spear over a couple months just sitting in 6 inches of gross water continuously.  

Its growing slowly, but at least it’s growing now.   It has gained approximately 0 inches in hight this growing season.  Does this look like A. alexandrae?   I don’t have any experience with Kings.   ACA4CF6D-1005-480C-ABE1-34F6BDF368E6.thumb.jpeg.82f850a4b0e08b3e77a532d517f240d8.jpegB2A14B13-4050-4E71-AD81-78BA7AAE20CA.thumb.jpeg.5406409b917db3bd44a1a493f4bf4fe7.jpeg

• Like 1

@Looking Glass It might just be the camera angle, but the undersides of the leaflets look green.  If they are and it's a "King" palm, then it is Archontophoenix cunninghamiana.  The other 5 members of the genus have silvery undersides.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Just now, kinzyjr said:

@Looking Glass It might just be the camera angle, but the undersides of the leaflets look green.  If they are and it's a "King" palm, then it is Archontophoenix cunninghamiana.  The other 5 members of the genus have silvery undersides.

They are green there now, for sure.  Was harder to tell when it was one yellow leaf.  I’m no great baby palm identifier though.  All I know for sure is that it is slow in tropical heat and wants to be continuously submerged in water, apparently.  The leaves seem very stiff.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Looking Glass said:

They are green there now, for sure.  Was harder to tell when it was one yellow leaf.  I’m no great baby palm identifier though.  All I know for sure is that it is slow in tropical heat and wants to be continuously submerged in water, apparently.  The leaves seem very stiff.  

Don't feel bad.  I'm like a broken clock - right twice a day (on accident) ;)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

it was an abused palm, recovery takes time.  I dont have cunninghamiana but I do have 4 other archie sp, all are water lovers.  I might repot that one with new soil as the soil might b an issue and how long has it ben in that pot.  The heavy rains are great at removing scale from soil(water hardness or fertiizer salts), but if this is an older potting soil it might be lacking organic material for holding water.  At that size though, the rain is huge.  All my potted palms(5-15gallon) jumped in the rainy july and august here.  Its like they came alive and now suddenly look like they need to be potted up or put in the ground.  I water a lot, water and rain are not equal.  Rain is clean and holds N2 unlike groundwater.  I might gt 80% of the growth in potted palms in the 2 1/2 month rainy season(july through mid sept).  I can water them heavily in our dry spring but I don't get that kind of jump, not even close.  

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

it was an abused palm, recovery takes time.  I dont have cunninghamiana but I do have 4 other archie sp, all are water lovers.  I might repot that one with new soil as the soil might b an issue and how long has it ben in that pot.  The heavy rains are great at removing scale from soil(water hardness or fertiizer salts), but if this is an older potting soil it might be lacking organic material for holding water.  At that size though, the rain is huge.  All my potted palms(5-15gallon) jumped in the rainy july and august here.  Its like they came alive and now suddenly look like they need to be potted up or put in the ground.  I water a lot, water and rain are not equal.  Rain is clean and holds N2 unlike groundwater.  I might gt 80% of the growth in potted palms in the 2 1/2 month rainy season(july through mid sept).  I can water them heavily in our dry spring but I don't get that kind of jump, not even close.  

I did repot it when I got it home in decent soil (at least it was before it sat in that water), but it might be toast now.  That’s one of my recycled 1 gallon Floribunda pots.   
There is nothing like natural rain, I agree.  Really wakes everybody up.  Sadly, we’re short about 8 inches over here this year.  Maybe I can still hope for a wet fall, but it doesn’t seem likely.  

So, this does look like a baby Archie to you guys, at least?   I wasn’t even sure about that.  

• Like 1

Looks like my Archie's. Minus the undersides, which are paler. I thought I had cunninghamianas for a long while till someone on here pointed that out. I've got a bunch of alexanders.

• Upvote 1