Sign in to follow this  
ahosey01

Highest Zone / Lowest Cost

ahosey01

Having repeated flood control issues at the house, my wife and I are considering selling the place and moving somewhere else.  Just a thought experiment at this time.  Would like to stay in the West if possible.

Curious anyone's thoughts on the highest climate zone / lowest cost you're going to find out here?  IMO it seems like Yuma, AZ - Zone 10A with reasonably affordable homes.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Adam

Chester B

What do you consider reasonably affordable?  

Edited by Chester B

ahosey01

Where I’m at now, median home price is like $420K, so probably an area in that ballpark, marginally higher or, of course, lower.

$600-$700K median like in the Inland Empire is too much.

Chester B

Oregon is officially out then. Some nice 9B areas but too pricey. 

Jimbean

Are you retired or work from home?  What you have around you matters a lot too. 

chinandega81

Yuma for sure. But that 10a classification can be deceiving with the dryness. SW AZ is a different world compared to PHX climate wise. The lows are surprisingly similar but the highs in Yuma are much hotter. And Yuma is much drier than PHX. Frosts ocurr regularly in the cultivated fields along the Colorado River outside of Yuma and especially along the I-8 corridor heading east (low spots, cold spots). Yuma is elevated slightly, so it is a few degrees warmer...but it's rural character and isolated nature leave it exposed to the elements so it gets similarly cold to warm the urban heat island of PHX is like.

kinzyjr

Pahokee, FL is relatively low cost for a solid 10b climate.  The area is said to have high crime though, so factor in the cost of protective gear.

• Upvote 1

Chester B

Brownsville, TX has ridiculously cheap real estate.  $400k goes a long way.

• Upvote 1