Sign in to follow this  
knikfar

Thriving Butia in 7b

knikfar

I heard about this large butia growing in the Raleigh suburb of Fuquay-Varina. I was already nearby so I thought I'd check it out and I took this picture of it yesterday. I also looked at in on Google Streetview and determined it was planted sometime between 2014 and 2016. That means it also survived our terrible 2018 winter with low temps in the single digits. This gives me hope for my butia in my Raleigh yard. 

Butiain7B.jpg

• Like 20
  • Upvote 1

Chad king NC

Butias are slow and and easy to protect.  There was one in Lexington with about 6' of trunk until winter of 2014.  It never got protected and I was always amazed it survived as long as it did.

knikfar
15 hours ago, Chad king NC said:

Butias are slow and and easy to protect.  There was one in Lexington with about 6' of trunk until winter of 2014.  It never got protected and I was always amazed it survived as long as it did.

And the winter of 2014 killed it? 

Chad king NC

Yes, that was the polar vortex winter when we had two bad storms.  Not sure what the low was there.  I think it was around 4° F.