Jump to content
DreaminAboutPalms

Palms of Austin, Texas

Recommended Posts

DreaminAboutPalms

Near Lake Travis/The Oasis

F6B1CCFC-F5AA-490B-B49D-CF712C52E30C.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

January 2021....these were probably best pure Robusta’s in Austin 

FE6055B3-55EB-406B-8904-A4292DEDE3A3.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z
1 hour ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

January 2021....these were probably best pure Robusta’s in Austin 

FE6055B3-55EB-406B-8904-A4292DEDE3A3.jpeg

Yeah, it will be nice when we get somewhat back to that point. I’m tired of looking at dead or half dead palms. I saw two Washingtonia Filifera outside Beecave on 12, with the largest trunks I’ve probably seen in the area. Both dead, yet Filibusta in the area recovering. I know Filibusta survival is hit or miss too, but  it seems the Robusta genetics combine wet tolerance to the Filiferas dry cold tolerance.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms
9 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Yeah, it will be nice when we get somewhat back to that point. I’m tired of looking at dead or half dead palms. I saw two Washingtonia Filifera outside Beecave on 12, with the largest trunks I’ve probably seen in the area. Both dead, yet Filibusta in the area recovering. I know Filibusta survival is hit or miss too, but  it seems the Robusta genetics combine wet tolerance to the Filiferas dry cold tolerance.

Filiferas have been very hit or miss some have full crowns (check out the palm condo on steck avenue), and some are dead. I think this winter storm was probably a little bit wet for their liking. From what I've seen, the majority of the dead filiferas are in spots that receive tons of runoff water while the alive ones are planted on a slight mound. 

I've been very surprised at number of robusta leaning hybrids that have come back, I think growing offspring from those survivors is the best method going forward 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

More Robusta hybrids just starting to push growth at the boat restaurant off mopac and braker. Amazing how long these have taken 

D0861458-0724-4425-ABC9-17A47DD72F6F.jpeg

06AB5DBF-5D84-48B7-92F1-B9C6A7A64F57.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

Tall north austin hybrid off Kramer Lane starting to look like a palm again 

168CC8D0-7795-4AE4-9032-FDAE71F5DE15.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joetx
3 hours ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

More Robusta hybrids just starting to push growth at the boat restaurant off mopac and braker. Amazing how long these have taken 

D0861458-0724-4425-ABC9-17A47DD72F6F.jpeg

06AB5DBF-5D84-48B7-92F1-B9C6A7A64F57.jpeg

Great news, thanks for posting! I've been wondering about these, but couldn't get a good look from the highway.

With all the Filibusta hybrids finally recovering, makes me wonder if I should have not cut my 13 footer down :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms
5 hours ago, joetx said:

Great news, thanks for posting! I've been wondering about these, but couldn't get a good look from the highway.

With all the Filibusta hybrids finally recovering, makes me wonder if I should have not cut my 13 footer down :(

Should have kept it but just trunk cut it to see if there’s any live tissue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

Leaving airport as you are getting off of 71 and onto the 183 north there are about a hundred what appear to be Sabal minor planted along the median. Nice to see those more in public plantings 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

Kramer lane Washingtonians hybrid looking good. Has pushed out all the deformed fronds now onto the normal mature ones 

thumbnail_image1-3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xenon
On 8/4/2021 at 6:14 AM, DreaminAboutPalms said:

January 2021....these were probably best pure Robusta’s in Austin 

FE6055B3-55EB-406B-8904-A4292DEDE3A3.jpeg

Awesome photo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

No pic, yet...  but Red Roof Inn off of 290 in Manor, about 12-15 minutes east of 183/35 just put in a dozen or so Washingtonia hybrids that appear to be 5-7 feet tall. Manor gets a couple degrees cooler than Austin at night, so these might burn some years, however this is the first public planting of palms in the tiny city of Manor other than the big Sabal minors at Chevron. Hopefully other places in city will follow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

Absolutely beautiful healthy North Austin CIDP. Lamar/Rundberg area 

630A6F75-D216-4DF9-8895-A151432D61E2.jpeg

3550D0A8-51B5-404F-86A4-F851084E0C92.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

Neighborhood in South Austin. Phoenix Canariensis and Trachycarpus 

226BF1BF-C119-4CF9-8044-CFAB859CE529.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

 This pic is from a few weeks ago, but I drove past this same Washingtonia hybrid this morning and it is flowering! Was not expecting that this year 

thumbnail_image1.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

Outside of BMC software headquarters by Braker/183. Before freeze they had even more palms, two healthy livistonias, bunch of butias, and mediterranean fan palms with 7 feet of trunk. Sadly all the butias, med fan palms and livistonias died this year. But CIDP look great 

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image1-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms
DreaminAboutPalms

Thin trunked hybrid I posted earlier that's flowering now

thumbnail_image1-1.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

Beautiful Washingtonias and sabals down by water near Mozart’s coffee roasters and Hula huts. Tons of volunteers on property too, most not even under the mature specimens but just scattered around. Lots of tall surviving Washingtonias around austin I hadn’t seen. I was SHOCKED when I drove past Tarrytown Terrace apartments on Enfield Avenue, They have 4 super tall extremely thin trunked  Washingtonias, and i believe i saw 3 of them recovering with the two tall ones that basically look pure robusta survived

E15C59D8-475B-4C4F-AA0F-8DC1172C91AA.jpeg

E3E57580-7A08-4E97-8CBD-9FBDD8D2ED61.jpeg

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

FEB 2021 PIC - Just before freeze. I was driving by and didn't get to look for too long but tallest two survived, and I think one more may have survived and is barely pushing green but was too shocked at the taller one 

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 5.46.30 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

More pre freeze pics courtesy of google maps street view...... taken about a week before freeze 

 

 

 

44D65D04-8BF1-4CBC-A465-28E06B9D2A71.png

F8D4F476-5A56-401B-B876-61D7FE037A09.png

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xenon
4 hours ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

FEB 2021 PIC - Just before freeze. I was driving by and didn't get to look for too long but tallest two survived, and I think one more may have survived and is barely pushing green but was too shocked at the taller one 

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 5.46.30 PM.png

Did the two palms in the back survive? That would be impressive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms
10 hours ago, Xenon said:

Did the two palms in the back survive? That would be impressive 

One of them did 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

Tall Trachy's in North Austin. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 11.22.36 AM.png

thumbnail_image1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

The Life of a South Austin Butia. Pics are From Apr 2011, Apr 2014, Apr 2018, -Dec 2020

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.03.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.03.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.04.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.04.47 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

Washingtonia filifera growth 2007-2019. Important to remember we got no rain down here for a few years, and it shot up once we did start getting more 

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.36.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.37.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.37.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.35.46 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

8 years growth Sabal Mexicana and Washingtonia robusta hybrid 

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.44.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.43.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.43.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.43.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.44.38 PM.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

Trachy growth 2007-2019

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 11.06.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 11.07.07 PM.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

I noticed on the last one with windmills, that there were queens and dates that died in 2010 or 2011. They were left with windmills.

But the neighbors Robustas lived. This was south of Downtown Austin, where most every Robusta north and west died.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

Washie timelapses 2009-2020

 

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 8.52.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 8.52.13 AM.png

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

2016-2021 robusta hybrid growth 

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.14.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.14.41 PM.png

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

CIDP timelapse 2011-2020

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 8.58.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 8.58.15 AM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

More street view pics of what Is possible in Austin Tx

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.01.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 9.47.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.29.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.58.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 9.03.48 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn
On 9/19/2021 at 3:39 PM, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Kramer lane Washingtonians hybrid looking good. Has pushed out all the deformed fronds now onto the normal mature ones 

thumbnail_image1-3.jpg

Washies keep growing all winter in Texas or slow down a lot when the weather changes? Just curious if some of the palms that took a bit longer to get going had a shot at full recovery. Hopefully they don’t get hit 2 winters in a row, fingers crossed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joetx
11 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Washies keep growing all winter in Texas or slow down a lot when the weather changes? Just curious if some of the palms that took a bit longer to get going had a shot at full recovery. Hopefully they don’t get hit 2 winters in a row, fingers crossed 

Texas is a big state, but yes, in the Austin area they grow through the winter if it’s mild. And out near the coast they grow through the winter obviously.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dimovi

Go to Mayfield park. A lot of defoliation, but everything made it through the freeze. Texas sabal is better here than filifera.

PXL_20210221_004547896.NIGHT.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dimovi

Here is one of the rare robustas that made it through the Feb 2021 freeze. I should collect seeds from it. It may have some filifera giving it better cold hardiness.

PXL_20210825_140254001.thumb.jpg.a0b450fd0cce69f486d6fb6c65ebfa44.jpg

PXL_20210825_140248417.thumb.jpg.e43088702091bb7fd406cb86be02854b.jpg

Edited by Dimovi
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joetx
2 hours ago, Dimovi said:

Here is one of the rare robustas that made it through the Feb 2021 freeze. I should collect seeds from it. It may have some filifera giving it better cold hardiness.

PXL_20210825_140254001.thumb.jpg.a0b450fd0cce69f486d6fb6c65ebfa44.jpg

PXL_20210825_140248417.thumb.jpg.e43088702091bb7fd406cb86be02854b.jpg

Where is this one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arecaceae78743

INCREIBLE ! :yay:

I'm calling that one The Miracle Palm  

Edited by Arecaceae78743
.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...