LasPalmerasDeMaryland

New R. Hystrix!

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

I decided to try a needle palm here in zone 7b Mid-Atlantic. I figure that after 3 years of protection they should be near bulletproof here as they are rated as zone 6b and the summers here can be sweltering. I tried them here before but the first one died during the fall due to transplant shock (as it was shipped bare-root from the west coast) and the second one was a Home Depot blue pot from florida. I don’t think the blue pot one was a very strong plant as the leaves were quite brittle and snapped frequently. I’ve heard blue pots in general aren't very strong due to over-fertilization since they’re so slow growing. 

Anyway, this palm was shipped with a pot! So I hope that will ensure it’s survival. I also got it a bit bigger to make sure it’s hardy. I hope y’all like my new baby! 

BADAEDF0-1466-4428-97F3-9BFBE702E53E.jpeg

502B83FD-21A0-45D7-A3D0-8F618AA2DDF4.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

cm05

Nice. I bought one too as my first one died in 2019, it had scale and declined quickly after a relatively minor freeze. It was a rare-ish hermaphrodite too to make matters worse.

oasis371

I wish I felt better about this species, I have found them to be temperamental and less than robust (in the ground or protected in a container over winter), and then, there are the NEEDLES..  Still, would be willing to give them another shot. Good luck!

Collectorpalms

I had several needle palms. Those that were planted that got winter sun have spear pull and I think I lost the main trunk.

while those in shadier areas all did fine.

4*F did this.

GregVirginia7
15 hours ago, LasPalmerasDeMaryland said:

I decided to try a needle palm here in zone 7b Mid-Atlantic. I figure that after 3 years of protection they should be near bulletproof here as they are rated as zone 6b and the summers here can be sweltering. I tried them here before but the first one died during the fall due to transplant shock (as it was shipped bare-root from the west coast) and the second one was a Home Depot blue pot from florida. I don’t think the blue pot one was a very strong plant as the leaves were quite brittle and snapped frequently. I’ve heard blue pots in general aren't very strong due to over-fertilization since they’re so slow growing. 

Anyway, this palm was shipped with a pot! So I hope that will ensure it’s survival. I also got it a bit bigger to make sure it’s hardy. I hope y’all like my new baby! 

BADAEDF0-1466-4428-97F3-9BFBE702E53E.jpeg

502B83FD-21A0-45D7-A3D0-8F618AA2DDF4.jpeg

I’m in Northern Virginia...I have two Needles in two different situations...one is sunny and somewhat wet...the other is shady and somewhat dry...both have been in-ground for several years and are doing great. Predictably, the shady one is compact but the fronds remain perfect...the sunny one gets a little bent because of occasional wind but still looks good. I think you’ll find yours to be a great palm without a whole lot of care...my two have never been protected in winter...that’s a nice palm...good luck with yours...

image.thumb.jpg.2df72736069bebcc2c4cd950c95aa904.jpgThis is the sunny one...

image.thumb.jpg.102140738281e565438b3dd6c02ea4cc.jpgThis is the shady one...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      I got some Sabal minors mail ordered from Ohio yesterday and I was able to plant today. I was shocked how big they were! They look so much smaller in photos, but they were like big kahunas! I was shocked! There were three in the pot, but the root systems were too intertwined and I didn’t wanna risk damaging them. Which is a shame because I much prefer the look of minors when they're not clumped. But oh well lol. My C. Humilis is also flowering! My first palm to do so! 

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      Greetings!
      Here’s a little update on my palms after this icy winter! According to Accuweather, our lowest temperature this year was 19°F
      1) Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Bulgaria’ - this was wrapped in a few layers of burlap. It looks great and no spear pull!
      2) Sabal ‘Louisiana’ - this was unprotected other than some dead leaves that naturally gathered at the base. This looks stellar as well and it’s starting to get its palmate leaves!
      3) Sabal Minor ‘McCurtain’ - unprotected; super slow but still growing! 

4) Sabal ‘Louisiana’ #2 - unprotected and exposed to the elements. This poor palm was buried in snow and sleet. The center spear even looked like it was reaching out of the snow for help at one point lolol. Despite this, he’s still trucking! I hope to see some palmate leaves this year!

5) Sabal Uresana - unprotected (other than dead leaves that ended up there naturally). I planted this purely as a hardiness experiment (which is the reason its close to the foundation). The newest spear is over a foot long and keeps the icy blue hue! Let’s see how long before it croaks
      6) Sabal Palmetto ‘Mocksville’ - unprotected (dead leaves at base that got there naturally). This one is starting to look like a mini palmetto now! It’s got palmate leaves and I hope for more this summer! I can’t wait for costapalmate leaves to start forming! 

7) Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Bulgaria’ #2 - protected with burlap. this palm is currently my favorite of the bunch! It’s leaves are getting big and no spear pull from the winter! I hope it starts really taking off this year!

• kbob11
      By kbob11
      Hi everyone,
         The weather is finally going to warm up a little starting next week.  My question is does anyone have experience with Needles consistently experiencing night time lows in the upper 20s?  I know that they can survive well below that for absolute lows but how about in and out of freezes?  I would like to air mine out as it has been covered in leaves and boxed since Thanksgiving.  Below is our extended forecast.  Thanks!

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      My Needle Palm (Rhapidophyllum hystrix) is finally flowering! I won’t get any seed off of it (if it is a female, I’m still not sure what it is yet and don’t know how to tell) because I only have one and there are none close by that I know of. But it is still really cool, and is my first palm to ever flower! 

• cm05
      By cm05
      New York City is a high end zone 7b, cold hardy palms are very rare, but they’re there if you know where to look. Tropical palms, however, are all over the place during the warmer months.
      Sabal minor growing out in the open in Tompkins Square Park in Manhattan:

It’s flowering, hopefully it seeds so I can grab them all lol, anyone want a Manhattan Minor?