Sign in to follow this  
AZ_Palm_Guy

Date Palm (phoenix dactylifera) issues

AZ_Palm_Guy

Hello everyone, 

I was hoping to obtain some opinions/advice on figuring out what is currently happening to a date palm pup I planted awhile back. In the last couple of weeks I've noticed that the leaflets have started to yellow then brown and it has started to travel down the fronds slowly. In some spots it has stopped completely and just has dried up. All the new growth inside is still very green and looks normal. The soil I have is clay but I did my best to amend it with garden soil for palm trees and I live in AZ. Temperatures for the last couple of weeks have been between 85-100°F. The drainage is not bad but it is not great. I water it about twice every week with a slow drip. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Water stress? Nutrition deficiency? Disease? Any feedback would be appreciated.

20210505_092009(1).jpg

20210505_092021(1).jpg

20210505_092158(1).jpg

20210505_093627(1).jpg

Billeb

I don’t have a Date Palm but I’d be very surprised if watering twice a week via drip is nearly enough  in 100+ deg AZ weather. I’d be watering that thing more in Hunt. Beach,CA than that. Especially after just throwing it in the ground in the recent. 

AZ_Palm_Guy

@Billeb I pulled back the top of the soil and even have a moisture meter that I can place deep down along the palm and the soil is still very moist. Not even dry. Once temperatures start to stay consistent in the upper 90s and 100s I will increase the watering a bit. I just don't want to start drowning the palm since drainage isn't the best.

Billeb
32 minutes ago, AZ_Palm_Guy said:

@Billeb I pulled back the top of the soil and even have a moisture meter that I can place deep down along the palm and the soil is still very moist. Not even dry. Once temperatures start to stay consistent in the upper 90s and 100s I will increase the watering a bit. I just don't want to start drowning the palm since drainage isn't the best.

Totally get it. Been there for sure. It’s a battle for each type of plant it seems like. 

• Like 1

aztropic

Looks pretty normal for a transplant. Was the pup already rooted in a pot or just fresh cut off the parent tree? Maybe remove 3 or 4 fronds to help it get established.It really should take off with the forecasted higher temps in the 90's, unless it had little to no root system to begin with.Here's a pic of my female "medjool" I grew from a mail ordered pup out of CA.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

16203153792611816013368589692512.jpg

• Like 1

mydateplams
22 hours ago, AZ_Palm_Guy said:

Hello everyone, 

I was hoping to obtain some opinions/advice on figuring out what is currently happening to a date palm pup I planted awhile back. In the last couple of weeks I've noticed that the leaflets have started to yellow then brown and it has started to travel down the fronds slowly. In some spots it has stopped completely and just has dried up. All the new growth inside is still very green and looks normal. The soil I have is clay but I did my best to amend it with garden soil for palm trees and I live in AZ. Temperatures for the last couple of weeks have been between 85-100°F. The drainage is not bad but it is not great. I water it about twice every week with a slow drip. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Water stress? Nutrition deficiency? Disease? Any feedback would be appreciated.

20210505_092009(1).jpg

20210505_092021(1).jpg

20210505_092158(1).jpg

20210505_093627(1).jpg

I would tie the fronds up and cut them at he top flat. You could also rap in some type of shade cloth. When the fronds are open like that after a transplant the palm will lose moisture and you want the focus new growth in the roots .

mydateplams
3 minutes ago, mydateplams said:

I would tie the fronds up and cut them at he top flat. You could also rap in some type of shade cloth. When the fronds are open like that after a transplant the palm will lose moisture and you want the focus new growth in the roots .

Like this 20190228_145516.thumb.jpg.d4e0ca1461dd4142d59058cd3ed159cd.jpg

• Like 1

AZ_Palm_Guy

@mydateplams and @aztropic thanks for the response and your input. That pup actually came in a 36" box which it had been in for almost 2 years! The root system on it was very well developed. I ended up digging up the pup today and noticed majority if not all the roots were okay/healthy. Some roots were dark/dead so I went ahead and removed them. I believe a combination of early stages of root rot and root suffocation were to blame. I removed the roots that were not healthy and cleaned out what I could. Ended up amending the soil much better this time around. Here is a picture of the root system.

IMG_7113.jpg

Edited by AZ_Palm_Guy
  • Like 1

AZ_Palm_Guy
4 hours ago, aztropic said:

Looks pretty normal for a transplant. Was the pup already rooted in a pot or just fresh cut off the parent tree? Maybe remove 3 or 4 fronds to help it get established.It really should take off with the forecasted higher temps in the 90's, unless it had little to no root system to begin with.Here's a pic of my female "medjool" I grew from a mail ordered pup out of CA.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

16203153792611816013368589692512.jpg

@aztropic I had a question in regards to your date palm. How often are you watering or better question how often did you water your date palm before it became established? I know here in AZ it is tricky especially since all we really have is clay soil.

aztropic

Probably got watered about every other day when first planted.Now gets deep watered once a week.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1