Sign in to follow this  
Brad52

Transplanting question

Brad52

I'm looking for a sun tolerant, elegant, fast growing, solitary palm that will stay <25' for a spot in my front yard and I'd like to source a larger plant.  Although there are several species that would be nice, Adonidia Merrillii would seem to fit the target and is quite common out here so I'm looking for larger ones to start with.  There is a Craigslist ad for one but is a 'u dig', so I'm wondering how palms in general and in particular this species tolerate being dug up and replanted in full sun on the same day?

Merlyn

Most palms transplant pretty well, with a few exceptions like Bismarckia, Sabals, and Cuban Copernicias.  The biggest problem with a transplant of a larger palm is the digging and the weight.  A decent sized rootball could easily be 300-500lb of dirt and roots.   If you have help and a way to transport the palm, then I'd go for it!  

Mangosteen

Have you checked with Florabunda? Jeff has a good selection of large palms in containers which means no digging for you and an intact root ball. 

Brad52

I don't have help so I'll need a size that I can handle, sounds possible though.  Yes, I have tried to get an appointment at Floribunda but I guess they are busy, I've had no reply after a few weeks so I'm looking around.

Edited by Brad52