IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pre 2006 Palmtalk forums

EastCanadaTropicals

How was Palmtalk like before 2006, I couldn't find anything about it before then, not even in the way back machine.

Nothing to say here. 

3 hours ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

How was Palmtalk like before 2006, I couldn't find anything about it before then, not even in the way back machine.

It wasn't in a forum format back then. It was an old Yahoo "newsgroup" I think. Then there was a time when it was a forum with different software - and it crashed big time. It was decided to not try and repair since support for the software was abandoned. And conversions were unsuccessful. And we did not try and archive either. There was a time I did find some older posts on the Way Back Machine - but don't remember the exact dates.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

13 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

It wasn't in a forum format back then. It was an old Yahoo "newsgroup" I think. Then there was a time when it was a forum with different software - and it crashed big time. It was decided to not try and repair since support for the software was abandoned. And conversions were unsuccessful. And we did not try and archive either. There was a time I did find some older posts on the Way Back Machine - but don't remember the exact dates.

Was it called Palmtalk back then? Thanks for responding.

Nothing to say here. 

5 hours ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Was it called Palmtalk back then? Thanks for responding.

The Forum format was always called PalmTalk. But with Yahoo before that I don't know what the official name was - if there was one. Hopefully someone who has been around longer than I have will be able to chime in.

• Like 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

2 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

The Forum format was always called PalmTalk. But with Yahoo before that I don't know what the official name was - if there was one. Hopefully someone who has been around longer than I have will be able to chime in.

I know of one member, but I forgot the name. He is a California member and he said it was called, "GulfBreeze."

Edited by EastCanadaTropicals

Nothing to say here. 

I can remember the two-tone brown background to the older group-style forum. I don't know how long it was like that. The older style buttons and low-res details, fun times.

Ryan

South Florida

I vaguely remember some troublemakers and political posturing.  Who would have done that on a palm board?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds