GardnerDylan6a

Washingtonia Filifera Germination

GardnerDylan6a

Hello I was wondering if people could share how they germinate W. Filifera and Robusta seeds, I am wondering what the ideal temperature for germination is, as I have my Filifera seeds in a pot at room temperature with the soil at around 67 F, 2CEF1300-1611-467B-9035-2E6D35ECE99B.thumb.jpeg.049ad7042ceeff7f4523c6032c605930.jpegwill they germinate?

8598B6C4-4BFB-41D4-83F2-E4D9FF5FEC55.jpeg

Edited by GardnerDylan6a

amh

You're going to want a minimum of 72F, but you should probably try for 80 or above.

Hopefully someone else knows the exact temperature range.

Edited by amh

NBTX11

They’ll germinate, it just may take longer. There’s no big secret with Washingtonia seeds. They’re prolific germinators. I’ve germinated them in a variety of ways. I soak mine for a minimum of 5 days, changing the water every so often. After 7 or 8 days they may even start germinating in the water. I always get a high percentage of success. I find soaking them for a long time speeds up the process. 

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• GardnerDylan6a
      By GardnerDylan6a
      What time of year does W. Filifera or Robusta flower and produce seed?
    • GoatLockerGuns
      By GoatLockerGuns
      Took a trip out to a Washingtonia filifera oasis this month.  I highly recommend it.  Easily accessible with some monster specimens.

• Rd003
      By Rd003
      Recently acquired some A. crispa seeds and cracked the outer shell (I’ve heard it helps shave lots of time off germination). Does anyone have success with any specific methods or know how the endocarps themselves like to be treated? Any advice  would be much appreciated!
    • GardnerDylan6a
      By GardnerDylan6a
      Does anyone know the cold hardiness of w. filifera in proportion to it´s age or trunk dimensions, also does anyone know if the location of the tree dramatically affects the cold hardiness of it´s seeds
    • Mr.SamuraiSword
      By Mr.SamuraiSword
      Was passing through Macon Georgia last week, and was surprised at some of the palms. Spent around an hour driving around. One place called AP's Hidden Hideaway Restaurant on 4275 Broadway Dr, had some tall Washingtonia Robusta, especially for interior GA.  Quite a bit of winter burn, 30 - 50% of fronds were fried, most fronds had some burn.

Tallest ones here,

Some of the worst burn on these,

These three seemed more like filibusta. thicker trunks and all, and considerably less burn.

Couple more, volunteer on the bottom right.

In Washington Park in downtown Macon, were a couple very old Sabal Palmetto, I talked to a few people in a palm forum on FB and they said those palms were there and around the same size 1980s, so these were probably planted at least in the 1940s

Love that Lolipop Look.

Quite a few volunteers in the park, two of which were adult palms.

Across the street from this park, was another large volunteer, growing in a sidewalk.  Shows how long the old ones have been there.

Quite a few other interesting palms around town, the Hideaway also had quite a few Chinese Fan palms, mixed in with pindos and Washys.

Plenty of nice pindos around too.

Nice one in Downtown

Plenty of other great sabals around too.

Lots of nice Trachycarpus around, but only got to take photos of these two big ones.

Young Washingtonia in downtown, looking great.

Small Chinese Fan in downtown,

The Hideaway had tons of large Sago Cycads too, total of over 40 sagos at least.

One even naturalizing. 

Speaking of volunteers, the downtown region had plenty of sabal volunteers, clearly palms have been present for quite some time.

More Sagos around town, plenty of big ones.

Keep in mind I only looked around for about an hour, so this is only the tip of the palm iceburg in Macon