LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Spring 2021 Update (Zone 7b MD)

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Greetings!

Here’s a little update on my palms after this icy winter! According to Accuweather, our lowest temperature this year was 19°F

1) Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Bulgaria’ - this was wrapped in a few layers of burlap. It looks great and no spear pull!

2) Sabal ‘Louisiana’ - this was unprotected other than some dead leaves that naturally gathered at the base. This looks stellar as well and it’s starting to get its palmate leaves!

3) Sabal Minor ‘McCurtain’ - unprotected; super slow but still growing! 

4) Sabal ‘Louisiana’ #2 - unprotected and exposed to the elements. This poor palm was buried in snow and sleet. The center spear even looked like it was reaching out of the snow for help at one point lolol. Despite this, he’s still trucking! I hope to see some palmate leaves this year!

5) Sabal Uresana - unprotected (other than dead leaves that ended up there naturally). I planted this purely as a hardiness experiment (which is the reason its close to the foundation). The newest spear is over a foot long and keeps the icy blue hue! Let’s see how long before it croaks

6) Sabal Palmetto ‘Mocksville’ - unprotected (dead leaves at base that got there naturally). This one is starting to look like a mini palmetto now! It’s got palmate leaves and I hope for more this summer! I can’t wait for costapalmate leaves to start forming! 

7) Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Bulgaria’ #2 - protected with burlap. this palm is currently my favorite of the bunch! It’s leaves are getting big and no spear pull from the winter! I hope it starts really taking off this year!

26B2FBAF-EDEA-48C1-80C8-D0D41A2AD0F3.jpeg

9C1BAD9C-69C4-446D-BCD2-B6B1AA8DF3B5.jpeg

1C4626EF-ABF4-4C08-A08E-C22F1708D950.jpeg

1C8D0087-5612-4B30-950F-E7BF882593DD.jpeg

7054C7A9-2EBC-44AF-8DE7-D3D6CF209F1B.jpeg

FB2E2A7E-5A95-439A-9B02-786D46EF6258.jpeg

9132B5AE-ACA6-45F9-95A2-F113429B9639.jpeg

02F80879-CD6D-48C5-8B88-3E12F4A2A9E1.jpeg

410388FF-AA68-4218-8980-3FAF7F4451BA.jpeg

06FEEF5A-CC0F-4B23-9EDE-CA08F8E49D29.jpeg

771303DC-53DD-4AC1-9EBD-DB59AB5EA909.jpeg

75BE9B70-4CEA-4338-9772-8DD7559C4D51.jpeg

• Like 1

PalmatierMeg

All look great! I have a feeling they will take off now spring is here. That S. uresana is awfully close to the house - they get very large and don't transplant well. Or do you expect it to succumb before it gets to that stage?

• Like 1

LasPalmerasDeMaryland
6 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

All look great! I have a feeling they will take off now spring is here. That S. uresana is awfully close to the house - they get very large and don't transplant well. Or do you expect it to succumb before it gets to that stage?

Pretty much yeah haha. It’s just an experiment to test a S. Uresana’s hardiness. I don’t expect it to get to trunking. Especially if we have a true zone 7 winter. This is all for research purposes :P

Chad king NC

Great selection of palms.  Those minors should do great.  I have a sabal ' Mocksville' also and they are pretty hardy as seedlings.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• teddytn
      By teddytn
      This may seem odd. Everyone pushes the envelope with the palms they plant, like how far north can you grow a coconut palm etc. What about the opposite? If I moved to Hawaii of course I would jump both feet in with all the tropical palms I could get my hands on, but I would definitely plant all the cold hardy palms I’m a fan of now too. To me it would be cool to watch the growth rate of a cold hardy palm in a tropical environment. Anyone have sabal minor, sabal palmetto growing in paradise? I would love to see pics!!!
    • redbeard917
      By redbeard917
      https://www.livescience.com/new-sinkhole-discovered-china
      It looks like some pretty nice palms, maybe Trachycarpus, are growing down there.
    • Palmphile
      By Palmphile
      I am having trouble with differentiating between Sabal x brazoria and Sabal x texensis 'Brazoria' , can someone tell me what makes them different and how different they really are? (Or if they're the same?)
    • Palmphile
      By Palmphile
      Hello everyone, so I haven’t seen a lot of coverage of this nature defying experiment but some of the In n Out burger chain restaurants that are new to Colorado have installed the iconic crossed palm trees at some of their locations such as this one of Constitution Ave. in Colorado Springs (Zone 5b\6a). These Sabal palmettos appear to have large gauge pipe heating cables rapped around the trunk and close to the crown. I’m also told they have coiled heat cables in the ground around the roots. They are left completely out in the open, and appear to have been planted in October 2021 (which I think is a terrible time). I don’t know the specific minimum temperature they endured this past winter but I know it was in the single digits on multiple occasions. Our past winter here was extremely dry. We didn’t have any moisture whatsoever from September 2021 to almost January 1st, 2022.  
      Winters are cold here in Colorado! I hope that they were able to make the winter and maybe we could see some growth soon. I would guess the heat cables are kept on 24/7. When I put my hand on the cable it was very warm. The days in Colorado are very warm I don’t think that’s the problem it’s the constantly below freezing nightly winter temps that worry me, they look pretty bad after this past winter. I also know that the In n Out in Thornton (Northern suburb of Denver) also has Sabals planted. I’m curious if anyone has more information, and also what you guys have to say about this incredible sight in the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains Ha! Have a look, there’s also yuccas planted in the foreground nearby, my guess is Yucca faxoniana. Thanks guys

• KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      Hey palm people! So we bought our house a little over a year ago here in Lake Charles, La zone 9.  And have been using the natural subtropical jungle feel of the area and putting a spin with different exotic things.  We get alot of rain and that helps but we have to struggle with some cold for a few months in the winter.  But I wanted to show off some of my favorite additions and if y'all have and tips of what we could ad that would be cool. Let me know what y'all think.