LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Spring 2021 Update (Zone 7b MD)

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Greetings!

Here’s a little update on my palms after this icy winter! According to Accuweather, our lowest temperature this year was 19°F

1) Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Bulgaria’ - this was wrapped in a few layers of burlap. It looks great and no spear pull!

2) Sabal ‘Louisiana’ - this was unprotected other than some dead leaves that naturally gathered at the base. This looks stellar as well and it’s starting to get its palmate leaves!

3) Sabal Minor ‘McCurtain’ - unprotected; super slow but still growing! 

4) Sabal ‘Louisiana’ #2 - unprotected and exposed to the elements. This poor palm was buried in snow and sleet. The center spear even looked like it was reaching out of the snow for help at one point lolol. Despite this, he’s still trucking! I hope to see some palmate leaves this year!

5) Sabal Uresana - unprotected (other than dead leaves that ended up there naturally). I planted this purely as a hardiness experiment (which is the reason its close to the foundation). The newest spear is over a foot long and keeps the icy blue hue! Let’s see how long before it croaks

6) Sabal Palmetto ‘Mocksville’ - unprotected (dead leaves at base that got there naturally). This one is starting to look like a mini palmetto now! It’s got palmate leaves and I hope for more this summer! I can’t wait for costapalmate leaves to start forming! 

7) Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Bulgaria’ #2 - protected with burlap. this palm is currently my favorite of the bunch! It’s leaves are getting big and no spear pull from the winter! I hope it starts really taking off this year!

26B2FBAF-EDEA-48C1-80C8-D0D41A2AD0F3.jpeg

9C1BAD9C-69C4-446D-BCD2-B6B1AA8DF3B5.jpeg

1C4626EF-ABF4-4C08-A08E-C22F1708D950.jpeg

1C8D0087-5612-4B30-950F-E7BF882593DD.jpeg

7054C7A9-2EBC-44AF-8DE7-D3D6CF209F1B.jpeg

FB2E2A7E-5A95-439A-9B02-786D46EF6258.jpeg

9132B5AE-ACA6-45F9-95A2-F113429B9639.jpeg

02F80879-CD6D-48C5-8B88-3E12F4A2A9E1.jpeg

410388FF-AA68-4218-8980-3FAF7F4451BA.jpeg

06FEEF5A-CC0F-4B23-9EDE-CA08F8E49D29.jpeg

771303DC-53DD-4AC1-9EBD-DB59AB5EA909.jpeg

75BE9B70-4CEA-4338-9772-8DD7559C4D51.jpeg

• Like 1

PalmatierMeg

All look great! I have a feeling they will take off now spring is here. That S. uresana is awfully close to the house - they get very large and don't transplant well. Or do you expect it to succumb before it gets to that stage?

• Like 1

LasPalmerasDeMaryland
6 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

All look great! I have a feeling they will take off now spring is here. That S. uresana is awfully close to the house - they get very large and don't transplant well. Or do you expect it to succumb before it gets to that stage?

Pretty much yeah haha. It’s just an experiment to test a S. Uresana’s hardiness. I don’t expect it to get to trunking. Especially if we have a true zone 7 winter. This is all for research purposes :P

Chad king NC

Great selection of palms.  Those minors should do great.  I have a sabal ' Mocksville' also and they are pretty hardy as seedlings.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      I decided to try a needle palm here in zone 7b Mid-Atlantic. I figure that after 3 years of protection they should be near bulletproof here as they are rated as zone 6b and the summers here can be sweltering. I tried them here before but the first one died during the fall due to transplant shock (as it was shipped bare-root from the west coast) and the second one was a Home Depot blue pot from florida. I don’t think the blue pot one was a very strong plant as the leaves were quite brittle and snapped frequently. I’ve heard blue pots in general aren't very strong due to over-fertilization since they’re so slow growing. 

Anyway, this palm was shipped with a pot! So I hope that will ensure it’s survival. I also got it a bit bigger to make sure it’s hardy. I hope y’all like my new baby! 

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Yesterday we traveled back to the Fort Myers Palm Park in downtown on Martin Luther King Ave to check on the status of two seeding Copernicias. I also took a few minutes to take photos of other palms.
      Sabal palmetto Lisa x2: These are the wild Sabal Lisas rescued from certain destruction during renovations of I-75 about 10 years ago. The City of Ft. Myers donated space in this palm park where they will live in perpetuity. Notice that the palm on the right holds on to its boots; the one on the left does not. The palm on the left is my avatar.

Dypsis cabadae: very pretty and elegant

Syagrus schizophylla with seeds

Serenoa repens Silver: well trimmed and flowering

• CoconutGambler352
      By CoconutGambler352
      Here are a few Sabals
      In person, The Sabal Palm in the first photo furthest to the right, was actually a VERY tinted Blue color, while the two Sabal closest to me, were the usual colors. 
      Photo 2 is the VERY Tinted Blue Sabal I mentioned. 
      Photo 3 is photo of a Original Sabal (Right side) and on the left hand Side is a Sabal (Causiarum?) Or maybe just a Hybrid? 
      Photos 4&5 are of the Sabal "Hybrid" Look at how HUGE the frond is, to my hand, and the Palm is ONLY about 3.5ft Total Trunk height. Pretty interesting and impressive to me! 

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      So I’ve been growing some palmetto seedlings for a few years now and they’re starting to get more palmate fronds. I bought a big thing of Sabal Palmetto seeds a few years ago and they germinated and gave me these. I believe I also bought Sabal minor seeds to scatter around in the woods. My memory is the worst and I’m not sure if I actually germinated a Sabal minor or not. I was looking at some of the seedlings and I was struck by how blue some of them were. Do I have some Sabal minors mixed in or do Palmettos also have this bluish hue when they’re young. Thanks and I apologize for my forgetfulness! 

• bronxboynyc71
      By bronxboynyc71
      Update from the Bronx, NY.  I dont even bother to protect it anymore, this Trachy loves the winter!!! Grows at least a foot a year. Been in the ground at least 8 years. Had it delivered from Chilly palms, In North Carolina.  Definitely a eye catcher and a conversation piece. Yes, you can successfully grow windmills in NYC.. GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU PALM GROWERS UP NORTH. looking foward to hearing your comments and suggestions.