IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Something wrong with my Bizzy?

xoRudy

I planted this Bismarckia on Sep. 27th, so it’s been in the ground for almost two months. Everything’s been growing really well. Three spikes have opened up into healthy leafs since I planted it. 

This evening I went out to check on it and I noticed not only did the new spike open up early but it doesn’t look health. Looks almost sunburned, or damaged by wind? 

Does anyone have an idea to what’s going on? Should I be worried? 

D8C8EB8C-12ED-457C-9F8C-E8382742C29E.jpeg

83CB6053-2D41-4059-9210-334CA855B69F.jpeg

323794C3-5AF0-4876-B84E-E3D3A9B79C41.jpeg

Bismarck palms are EXTREMELY root sensitive. I hope you used some careful caution when planting yours. It often takes a couple of months for shock to show up on these. Just keep an eye on it. There’s nothing you can do if it’s shock other than the usual care to be given to a newly planted palm.

• Like 3

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

11 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Bismarck palms are EXTREMELY root sensitive. I hope you used some careful caution when planting yours. It often takes a couple of months for shock to show up on these. Just keep an eye on it. There’s nothing you can do if it’s shock other than the usual care to be given to a newly planted palm.

The planting went well with the palm. I threw out the possibility of shock just because at least 3 spears have opened up beautifully before this one. I did not know shock was a factor months after planting.

12 minutes ago, SEPalm said:

Looks kind of dry. How much are you watering?

I’ve been water every day since I’ve planted it. I live in Arizona by the way. I just cut down watering to once a week this week. Hasn’t had water in about 5 days.

I dont like the look of heavy organic soil with mulch on top.  IF you dont dry cycle a bizzie properly(stay too wet) you can kill it.  I grew 4 in AZ never watered them every day in the ground.  What is your drainage?  These palms are happy without all the organic ammendements if you have clay soil.  Organic top mulch is not appropriate there, grainite rock(1/2 to 3/4") works much better, much better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

6 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

I dont like the look of heavy organic soil with mulch on top.  IF you dont dry cycle a bizzie properly(stay too wet) you can kill it.  I grew 4 in AZ never watered them every day in the ground.  What is your drainage?  These palms are happy without all the organic ammendements if you have clay soil.  Organic top mulch is not appropriate there, grainite rock(1/2 to 3/4") works much better, much better.

How long should I wait between waters on a bizzie? Also, sadly I do have clay soil. What can I put in my soil for better drainage? 

I think you need to check drainage before you plant and adjust so that when you fill an 18" diameter hole 18" deep it drains just about completely in 8 hrs.  If you soil wont do this, you have to be real caregul about watering and use a surfactant to help brake things up.  I use aerify plus soil conditioner when I think I somehow put a palm in a spot that was too wet.   If your soil is tough to penetrate drive a few metal rods into it before applying the aerify.  You will need to use it repeatedly to break things up.  Bismarckia dont line being continually wet in the cool season, they will die from that.  Understanding the site  is an important part of planting, espeically when you have clay in some areas but not others.  IF you have all clay you will save time and get better palms if you repare the site and add sand and perlite into a hole 3-5x bigger than the ball.

• Like 1

Tom Blank

13 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I think you need to check drainage before you plant and adjust so that when you fill an 18" diameter hole 18" deep it drains just about completely in 8 hrs.  If you soil wont do this, you have to be real caregul about watering and use a surfactant to help brake things up.  I use aerify plus soil conditioner when I think I somehow put a palm in a spot that was too wet.   If your soil is tough to penetrate drive a few metal rods into it before applying the aerify.  You will need to use it repeatedly to break things up.  Bismarckia dont line being continually wet in the cool season, they will die from that.  Understanding the site  is an important part of planting, espeically when you have clay in some areas but not others.  IF you have all clay you will save time and get better palms if you repare the site and add sand and perlite into a hole 3-5x bigger than the ball.

What is the aerify?

the main component of aerify is SDS, "sodium dodecyl sulfate" also called "sodium lauryl sulfate".  Its a very potent surfactant that helps break up clay.   SOmetime its used in minor amounts in laundry soap, but its much more effective as a surfactant than laundry soap.

7 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

What is the aerify?

the plus refers to the use of humic acid and kelp in it so that it also stimulates soil microbes.  I just buy the aerify and humic acid separately, more bang for the buck if you mix your own.  Humic acid kills the bad nematodes and provides a soil chemistry balance that stimulates mycorrhizae growth.  

• Like 1

Tom Blank