Tracy

Butia... yes, but which one?

Tracy

I was up the hill from my house taking photos of the sunset and decided to take a picture of this Butia in my friend's yard.  I haven't asked him how old it is and if it was there when he bought the house in 1978.  Which Butia is it?  Sorry I didn't go around to the backyard to get a better photo including the trunk.

20201119-BH3I1864.jpg

20201119-BH3I1863.jpg

• Like 6

Fusca

Whichever one it is, it's a beaut!  :greenthumb:

• Upvote 2

Ben in Norcal

Perhaps a yatay given how blue it is?  It is a beaut at any rate!

• Upvote 1

yeye

i don ' think it s a yatay .The leaves are too long for that.

The yatay leaves are shorter and very arching in the top of them

• Like 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

Need some fruit details

Tracy
20 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Need some fruit details

I don't recall seeing any on it currently, so I'll have to come back to the thread when it finally does have fruit on it again.

On 11/21/2020 at 2:07 PM, DallasPalms said:

Fruit taste okay? Edible? 

I've never sampled it's fruit.  Will have to ask my friend that owns it if he ever has.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Teegurr
      By Teegurr
      Saw these palms - they look very tropical (archies?) that I doubt will make it through the winter here in College Station. Thank you for the help in IDing these guys.

• Pablo Palma
      By Pablo Palma
      Hello everyone, recently joined new member. Very nice to meet you all!!
      Could you help me with an ID for this palm? My first guess was Adonidia merrillii but somehow just looks different to me. What do you think? I can add details of trunk, fruits, inflorescences and leaves if required. Thanks.

• subsonicdrone
      By subsonicdrone
      so my butia was in decline along with my other plants this past winter indoors
      a combination of insects, overwatering and underwatering
      the yellowing started during this time
      when it came outside it put out a nice sized leaf but it was yellow as well
      after doing some reading here on the forum i found a thread which recommended adding sulphur to the soil
      Butia capitata yellowing... posted by County Ag Agent
      i have been adding small spoonfuls of sulphur and it has worked to green up the butiathank you!!
      a friend bought two foxtail palms this spring but now the spears are too tall to fit at his place
      looks like i will be plant sitting these two foxtails!
      one spent its summer not too far from me, the other was outside of toronto
      it went through some cold temps which we did not get here in toronto recently
      so some leaves have gone brown on the one

something i found interesting was out of my two mediterranean fan palms the taller one has a skinny trunk and the shorter one has much more gerth

squirrels wreaked havoc on my seedlings.. i will do a final count when they come inside but there were significant losses
      next year i will take precautions to avoid this
      here are some pics of the yard

• Teegurr
      By Teegurr
      I saw this palm on my walk today. I'm thinking it's a butia? Let me know what you guys think. I appreciate the help!

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I don't even remember now, at which So Cal Palm Society meeting auction I bought this Dypsis.  I do recall it was solitary and probably no more than a 1 gallon when purchased.  I dropped it in a shaded spot under a Burretiokentia hapala, probably anticipating it would be a smaller gauge trunk and continue taking advantage of the Burretiokentia's shade.  It has since produced one new subterranean offset from the main trunk.  Any thoughts on which fine leafed Dypsis this is?  Markings on the trunk should be a clue.