Marissa

Help! Palm unhappy

Marissa

I'm new to taking care of a majesty palm and my palm has started to show signs of distress over the past month. It is taking a bit of a beating from my cat, which we're trying to prevent.

It is currently in a plastic pot with two 1.5 cm drainage holes on the bottom. I used palm mix soil when potting. I water about twice per week and the top layer of soil still feels slightly damp. Initially the bottom fronds had brown tips but now one also has yellow. Am I over and underwatering it?! Do I need more drainage?

I have it in indirect light currently and I'm misting it gently daily. I am moving it directly into a window now, but have some concerns as we live in San Francisco and we open these windows from time to time-- it would definitely get a draft if I keep it there all the time but it's the best lighting.

Any help appreciated! 

MarissaxfW7uaQxr-lQZk9PlZkaeQefr6rfcB5XCWjcFgNY5QUVSmgmeL-_cfG3bGUSQQV_IarkDdUooM08xbLIm39avQZEiqywvUVRPsn94LOWUzjnsBtVG-OA2w8Jsc7ppQgYQvrDX4ahGXSs_icDZPbcmMVj_vK932f3

gtsteve

Hi Marissa,   Welcome to the forum.

A Majesty is a hard palm to grow well indoors. Most just go backwards slowly. I don't think that you have done anything wrong except choose the wrong palm for indoors. Look back through the posts in this section, it has a lot of answers to the same question.

I'm sorry that I cannot be more helpful than that.

Frond-friend42

I would suggest not watering it when the soil is damp. Even though this palm is known for liking water, it still can easily be overwatered in a pot. Twice a week is probably too much by a lot. Let the top dry out, at least the top couple inches of soil if not deeper should be dry before watering again. Then when it is dry enough for watering,, water it completely but empty the drainage bowl so it doesn't get too soggy.

Rickybobby

One thing about indoor growing is you can’t mimic your outdoor practices to indoor. When it’s hot and windy outside you will have to water apt more. My palms indoor have lights and climate controlling to around 80f and I only water my palms maybe every two weeks