• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sprouting Chamadorea radicalis - share your tales

DoomsDave

By now, I've given away lots of the seeds, and I've learned the mostly good fates of many.

So, good, bad, told before, or not, share your Chamadorea radicalis seed sprouting experiences, even if you didn't get them from me.

I have a lot by the way.

If you've had bad luck, maybe we can help change it.

Palmy love to all!

• Like 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

17 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

By now, I've given away lots of the seeds, and I've learned the mostly good fates of many.

So, good, bad, told before, or not, share your Chamadorea radicalis seed sprouting experiences, even if you didn't get them from me.

I have a lot by the way.

If you've had bad luck, maybe we can help change it.

Palmy love to all!

You graciously sent me seeds last year. For that I thank you. I came up blank. Perhaps it wasn't the seed for a beginner I dunno. :unsure:

I know lots have had good luck sprouting your seeds. I chalk it up to beginner error. I have since done okay with Sabals, and washy's so at least my thumb isn't entirely brown :greenthumb:

Thanks for supporting the palm community with your seeds! 

-RJ 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RJ said:

You graciously sent me seeds last year. For that I thank you. I came up blank. Perhaps it wasn't the seed for a beginner I dunno. :unsure:

I know lots have had good luck sprouting your seeds. I chalk it up to beginner error. I have since done okay with Sabals, and washy's so at least my thumb isn't entirely brown :greenthumb:

Thanks for supporting the palm community with your seeds! 

-RJ 

Don’t give up!

send another PM

and describe your method and we’ll figure out what went wrong .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I throw em in a pot outside and just walk away. A few months later they come up. Maybe people are overheating them as I live in a cool climate and it doesn’t stay “hot” for more than a few hours in summer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Some actually finally just popped up in the last few weeks! I was almost going to give up. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah

These aren’t always easy to sprout but if you kill the babies from neglect you might already be dead

TOUGH buggers!

I don't quite remember the original germination method, but you definitely have best regards from your grandchildren here:D

These are just sprouting from the ground. Btw, they only sprout on areas covered by mulch.

IMG_20201004_110617.jpg

IMG_20201004_110633.jpg

• Like 6

Baggy method. These were some of the easiest palms to germinate. Fresh seeds do make all the difference. After that they are such an easy and trouble free palm to grow on for planting out. Really these things are just plain tough and extremely forgiving of neglect. I have about a dozen planted out now that are growing along strongly. Some appear to be the short form and others the tall type. 

However I do have one that’s not like the others. No idea at this point in time what it is but it does appear superficially similar to a Washingtonia. I guess time will tell. 

Take reasonable care of the babies, i.e., don't kill them, and you'll have this in a couple-three years (nice five-gallon plants, some flowering)

2b47632f-5c97-4198-b74f-d3d8eedbaa66_1570068936333-jpg.572949

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I was not able to sprout mine either. i used the instructions exactly as described. Maybe it was too warm or cold outside when i tried? I had no problem sprouting tons of trachies using baggy method, so i will mostly use baggy method from now on, on other palms. 

Going back and lookin at the posts I received the seeds from @DoomsDave September 21, 2018.  So they just had their 2 year birthday.

Here's a video of your babies, including the unknown.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

I was not able to sprout mine either. i used the instructions exactly as described. Maybe it was too warm or cold outside when i tried? I had no problem sprouting tons of trachies using baggy method, so i will mostly use baggy method from now on, on other palms. 

If the seeds haven't rotted, keep waiting sometimes they take their time.

Baggie also works.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chester B said:

Going back and lookin at the posts I received the seeds from @DoomsDave September 21, 2018.  So they just had their 2 year birthday.

Looking good Chester!  I guess the radicalis at the beginning of the video don't have much patience but lots of impatiens!  :lol:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Looking good Chester!  I guess the radicalis at the beginning of the video don't have much patience but lots of impatiens!  :lol:

Omg. So corny!!!

Good one. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 9:55 PM, Palmfarmer said:

If you want to try some more, just ask; re-send your address in a PM.

We'll get you rad on radicalis yet!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

If you want to try some more, just ask; re-send your address in a PM.

We'll get you rad on radicalis yet!

Thanks a lot I Appriciate it Dave. Got a question.. approximently at which temprature range does these seeds sprout the fastest at?

34 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

Thanks a lot I Appriciate it Dave. Got a question.. approximently at which temprature range does these seeds sprout the fastest at?

About 80 - 85 F

• 4 months later...

I had good luck germinating the Dooms Dave Chamaedorea using the baggie method.  I had 10 or so of them potted, 6 of them got eaten by squirrels while I had them outside in the summer.  The other 4 were saved because I had them in the office at work.  Those 4 are doing great today.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

On 10/20/2020 at 9:14 AM, DoomsDave said:

About 80 - 85 F

A constant 80-85?  I have then on a heat mat but I leave it on all the time.  Do you think I should have it on a timer so it goes off at night?  You sent me a batch in October but they just don't like me, everything else that's shared the mat with them has sprouted (ok, almost everything).

• Upvote 1

I had mine on a heating pad

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

27 minutes ago, Keys6505 said:

A constant 80-85?  I have then on a heat mat but I leave it on all the time.  Do you think I should have it on a timer so it goes off at night?  You sent me a batch in October but they just don't like me, everything else that's shared the mat with them has sprouted (ok, almost everything).

Poke fingers in the soil and see if they’re still solid and haven’t rotted. If do, keep waiting 

I just came around to planting mine 2 weeks ago again after a failed attempt. I cleaned of the outer layer really good soaked them in water a few days and put them in a ziplock bag with coco on top of my heatmat with the thermostat inside the bag set to a constant 29-30 celcius. 

I plan to cross it with Elegans as a fun little experiment later. Anyone tried that?

Edited by Palmfarmer
  • Upvote 1

No, but I get Female radicalis X Male microspadix all of the time, due to the Rad being under the big old Micro.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

@DoomsDave I put my community pots outside because we've had high temps in the 80s lately. Welp. Today is not in the 80s, it's cold and rainy again. 

I'm going to send the second envelope you sent me to a friend in N Houston for her kids to do science stuff with because I honestly don't have room for them. Thanks again, sir. 

• Upvote 1

I received seed for my ‘trunking form’ several years ago from Merril Wilcox.  Easy to germinate and grows really nicely in North Louisiana zone 8.  Seeds readily and no matter how hard I try to collect all those berries, enough still get away to volunteer all over.  My favorite germination method is 3” deep potting soil just evenly moist placed in the bottom of a 36 quart cooler with only a single 5 watt bulb for the perfect amount of heat (close the lid).  This method beats the baggie method and flats on heating mattes by far.  For stubborn palms nothing beats summer outdoor germination in the shade— daytime highs in 90’s and lows in the 70’s

Edited by ryjohn
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/1/2021 at 7:09 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

@DoomsDave I put my community pots outside because we've had high temps in the 80s lately. Welp. Today is not in the 80s, it's cold and rainy again. 

I'm going to send the second envelope you sent me to a friend in N Houston for her kids to do science stuff with because I honestly don't have room for them. Thanks again, sir. 

Tell her she can PM me if she wants 

• 1 month later...

@DoomsDave, these are tough little palms!  Here's two of mine after consecutive lows of 9 and 13 degrees completely unprotected 7 weeks ago during Palmageddon.  Looks like some survivors!

IMG_20210408_162809.jpg

IMG_20210408_162747.jpg

• Like 4

Jon Sunder

I got the seeds from @DoomsDave and I sprouted them using the baggie method.  It took approximately 3-4 months.  I then moved them into a community pot.  Once they get a little bigger I will pot them up individually.

20210408_140223.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Fusca said:

@DoomsDave, these are tough little palms!  Here's two of mine after consecutive lows of 9 and 13 degrees completely unprotected 7 weeks ago during Palmageddon.  Looks like some survivors!

IMG_20210408_162809.jpg

IMG_20210408_162747.jpg

A couple of Mine survived The Texas Feb 2021 Freeze as well.

• Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Wow, dang, you folks over in Texas have been through sheer hell, without even leaving home.

Hope all's well, at least for now.

Inspired by the toughness of the Cham rads!

• Like 2

I stated my first batch right before the great freeze of '21, the seeds sat in wet, 40 to 45 degree potting mix for 3 days. I was worried that the seeds would rot, but about 2 weeks ago I began seeing sprouts and are up to 58% germination and climbing. My next batch should begin to sprout in about a month.

On 2/28/2021 at 6:05 AM, gtsteve said:

No, but I get Female radicalis X Male microspadix all of the time, due to the Rad being under the big old Micro.

Pics?

These palms are really tough. I planted a few of them in the ground in southern Ohio zone 6b, the ones I protect look perfect. Surprisingly though the few seedlings I left unprotected defoliated but are growing back! They experienced temps below freezing for almost 2 weeks straight with single digits a couple days, the lowest temp was 7F.

FF9BFE7B-C2CC-4A6C-A598-9C1D1B17F32F.jpeg

BD589BE9-F7C4-45F9-A57F-3E170FA19452.jpeg

Still patiently waiting on mine to pop. Gave them a drink today - the weather reports keep saying we're gonna get rain, and I haven't seen any. But I know if I water all my plants, we'll get a downpour. 

On 4/15/2021 at 4:22 PM, amh said:

Pics?

There you go @amh .  Male Chamaedorea microspadix X female Chamaedorea radicalis.

I've given them all away now but they grow up as you would expect... looking like a cross between the two.

But as seedlings one characteristic is long petioles/stalks, more obvious from a lower angle.

20210417_101116.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.