IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia Help

tropical1

So I have a Copernicia baileyana that has been growing quite well as you can see from the pic. for a number of years. However, the center leaf is now emerging dried out. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2685.jpeg

IMG_2684.jpeg

NW Hillsborough County, FL (Near Tampa)

10 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

Trim off the dried fronds then squirt some hydrogen peroxide into the center crown. If it doesn't foam,you're done. If it does foam,give the spear a light tug.If it pulls out,treat heavily each morning with hydrogen peroxide or daconil for a few days. New spear looks better so I wouldn't anticipate any further problems.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

That is a beautiful palm, aside the fungal infection.  I do as scott said but also use daconil fungicide in the bud area after the peroxide and repeat every couple weeks.  My bailey did the same thing, it took a couple years and several treatments(4-5?) to fully recover depending on how persistent the infection is.  Be patient and douse that sucker.   You will not know if the grow point is free of infection till the new spear opens,  and I did see on mine a clear spear/leaf only to have the infection appear on the next one.  I  florida the humidity and wet really helps the fungus recover/grow.  Be aggressive in treating it, that is a gorgeous, valuable palm.  Wait a few hours between the peroxide that the daconil treatment.  Fortunately we are heading into the dry season (in 3 weeks) so at least the moisture won't be helping the fungus so much.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Thanks for the advice. Will be treating it tomorrow as described.

NW Hillsborough County, FL (Near Tampa)

10 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate