tropical1

Copernicia Help

tropical1

So I have a Copernicia baileyana that has been growing quite well as you can see from the pic. for a number of years. However, the center leaf is now emerging dried out. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2685.jpeg

IMG_2684.jpeg

aztropic

Trim off the dried fronds then squirt some hydrogen peroxide into the center crown. If it doesn't foam,you're done. If it does foam,give the spear a light tug.If it pulls out,treat heavily each morning with hydrogen peroxide or daconil for a few days. New spear looks better so I wouldn't anticipate any further problems.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2

sonoranfans

That is a beautiful palm, aside the fungal infection.  I do as scott said but also use daconil fungicide in the bud area after the peroxide and repeat every couple weeks.  My bailey did the same thing, it took a couple years and several treatments(4-5?) to fully recover depending on how persistent the infection is.  Be patient and douse that sucker.   You will not know if the grow point is free of infection till the new spear opens,  and I did see on mine a clear spear/leaf only to have the infection appear on the next one.  I  florida the humidity and wet really helps the fungus recover/grow.  Be aggressive in treating it, that is a gorgeous, valuable palm.  Wait a few hours between the peroxide that the daconil treatment.  Fortunately we are heading into the dry season (in 3 weeks) so at least the moisture won't be helping the fungus so much.

tropical1

Thanks for the advice. Will be treating it tomorrow as described.