Lukey

Foxtail palm in tight spot

Lukey

Questioning if the 2 foxtails (7 gallon) I just planted are going to create a problem in the future.  It's a tight spot, about my only choice of spots though. Stairwell is on one side, driveways on the other. There's about 17 inches between the driveway and where the footer begins (7 inches underground) to the stairwell. And they are about 17 inches from the walkway, which is in front. Won't be an issue with the fronds, but just thinking about the rootball (any threat to driveway, stairwell) ,enough room to grow etc.  Basically, Is this "enough" room for them?

IMG_20200916_090950.jpg

IMG_20200916_091029.jpg

Edited by Lukey

Ben in Norcal

I think they will be fine.  Palm roots generally aren't invasive/don't bother anything.  I have palms on top of my driveway, putting out roots on to the surface!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

aztropic

Plenty of room. Roots generally grow around obstacles.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

16002749350531590194754901113137.jpg

16002750317753383058943391902922.jpg

16002751240511947833694027885229.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Merlyn2220

Palms generally don't have invasive, destructive roots, so I think the spot shouldn't be an issue for the driveway, wall or pavers.  My only concern is the diameter of the trunk at the bottom, after they start trunking.  Some palms get 3' diameter bases, which wouldn't fit in your spot.  I think Foxtails are one of the smaller ones, but all of my Foxtails are relatively young.  The biggest is about 12-14' height overall, and have 8-10" diameter trunks.

• Like 2

enigma99
9 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Palms generally don't have invasive, destructive roots, so I think the spot shouldn't be an issue for the driveway, wall or pavers.  My only concern is the diameter of the trunk at the bottom, after they start trunking.  Some palms get 3' diameter bases, which wouldn't fit in your spot.  I think Foxtails are one of the smaller ones, but all of my Foxtails are relatively young.  The biggest is about 12-14' height overall, and have 8-10" diameter trunks.

Yeah maybe the second photo needs to be centered. Pretty close to the concrete?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Surfrider14
      By Surfrider14
      Hello everyone! I moved into my neighborhood (Saint Johns, Fla/just north of St Augustine, south of Jax) about a year and a half ago now, but have been visiting the area for years, as my mother & Aunt have lived here for years. Regardless, upon exploring the area, (about 15 miles inland from the Atlantic, centered between the St Johns River and the Intracoastal) I found some palms that normally could not be found in a typical Zone 9a climate. I found some established foxtails right off of the Shands bridge (more like 25 miles inland), though right near the river (as are the royals up in Jax). Also, a good-sized majesty, which I’ve seen for years now, tons in my neighborhood, especially planted in courtyards. Finally, some palms I’m not familiar with, a neighbor told me they could be beccariophoenix alfredii, but I’m not quite sure. They are newer, but were there when I moved in, so I can’t say how long they have been there, only that they took the winter unscathed. With this being said, some of my neighbors also have other zone 9b+ palms and other tropicals, such as bismarcks (15+ feet), Pink ti cordylines, Dracaena marginata, Red ensete bananas, birds of paradise and others, all at least 4-5 feet tall, none of which died back this year (only took some minor damage). My next door neighbor (another palm enthusiast) is convinced the whole neighborhood has a great microclimate, both of our thermostats read 28.9 degrees on the coldest night of the year in our 9a zone. Anyways, just thought I’d share some of my findings, I’ve always loved the concept of zone-pushing, especially if you have the right microclimate. I will upload some more pics another time in the “Other Tropicals” forum, of some of my neighbor’s gardens. FYI I am working on uploading some pics now...
    • Kim
      By Kim
      If anyone can reply to this question either here, or on the PalmTalk FaceBook page, it would be appreciated!

Good evening, I have several single, double and triple foxtail palms planted throughout my yard in Clearwater, Florida. I have recently noticed that a single trunk on one of my triples has yellow saw dust like strands protruding from the base and the lower fronds are browning. The new spear appears healthy. From the research I've done I believe the palm may be infested with borer's. Any suggestions or thoughts on how to save this palm and prevent further infestation of my other Foxtails, Alexander's, Adonidia and Queens is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
      Nicole and Mike