IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ID This Palm

James Robert

Hey everyone,  I am kinda new, but love different type of palms.

I'm in Greenville SC (zone7b).Seen this palm down town. This tree is absolutely gorgeous.  Could someone tell what it is.

I'm guessing some type of washingtonia?

Please let me know, I want to purchase one. (By the way this one looks like it will have be moved, hitting the ceiling)

20200902_141747.jpg

20200902_141738.jpg

20200902_141733.jpg

Washingtonia robusta (or at least a robusta-dominant hybrid)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Thanks, Thats what i was thinking. 

I found someone selling something similar, they are calling it a fan palm, is it the same, or close. 

20200902_165510.jpg

7 minutes ago, James Robert said:

I found someone selling something similar, they are calling it a fan palm, is it the same, or close. 

20200902_165510.jpg

Those look like sabal palmetto

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, James Robert said:

20200902_165510.jpg

In the first pic that was definitely a washingtonia, but I am fairly certain these two are palmettos

5 minutes ago, James Robert said:

Wow, They have them listed as fan palms, asking a 100.00 for each.

Thanks everyone. 

That's a good deal if they are container grown.  If they were field-dug (and it looks like they were) they will likely die soon so I wouldn't advise getting them.  But they are more cold hardy than the Washingtonia.

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

Where did you find those palmettos for sale? I am in Anderson. I have seen that Washingtonia before and the only reason it survives in Greenville is because of the microclimate that it has. The overhang and southern exposure with concrete keep it alive through the winter by trapping heat.

• Like 2

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

James: They're both fan palms. Two of the major leaf forms are fan palms (like these two - handlike) and pinnate palms (think coconut palms). There are others, but for starters, that's a good way of seeing them.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

You could ask if those Sabals are field dug to see what the guy says. But if he says, "No", I would have trouble believing him. I see no reason to hack off all the fronds in pot grown specimens but field dug Sabals have almost all their fronds cut off to reduce transpiration while the palm regrows its root systems. Those Sabals in the photos are too short to have been safely field dug and will almost surely die. It is not safe to transplant/dig up Sabals with less that 4' to 6' of clear trunk. Sabals with less clear trunk than that still have their growing point underground. If you try to dig up such a palm, you will shatter/damage the growing point and kill the palm. That seller appears to know very little about palms, including the name of what he's peddling

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks everyone. I'm learning a lot on here. After doing a

little research as well, I understand fully,  I'm almost at a point might just stick to my pindo and windmills.

Edited by James Robert
Spelling