Sign in to follow this  
James B

Who says you cannot create your own microclimate?

James B

Yes it’s summer so really the test will be come January but it’s interesting that I have 4 parts of my yard and 3 with a thermometer sensor monitoring. Of the 3 the main jungle area is 6-8 degrees warmer due to so many palms packed together creating a very different microclimate from the other two monitored zones which do not have the same palm density. Very cool to see it represented by data.

A955441C-2465-47F1-AB78-54EA602999FA.jpeg

• Like 9

Jim in Los Altos

It’s amazing how much temperatures can vary from one part of a yard to another. I nearly gave up on growing a healthy long term Wodyetia (Foxtail Palm) because I’d tried a number of them and cool wet winters would do them in a south facing spot by the front of my garage with stone facing and concrete and stone at its base and the palm is flourishing now for seven years. I put a Royal and Foxy Lady in the same area and Royal is slow but steady and the Foxy Lady is a rocket! Afternoon temperatures on a sunny winter afternoon can be 6-8° warmer than in other areas of my landscape and soil temps are way higher. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 7

WaianaeCrider

What are you using to moniter the temp?  I have one that only does 1 outdoor and indoors. Oh it tracks rain and humidity outside as well.

Darold Petty

Don't be so modest, Jim.  You are an above average grower !

• Like 3

James B
6 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

What are you using to moniter the temp?  I have one that only does 1 outdoor and indoors. Oh it tracks rain and humidity outside as well.

It’s made by Accurite. Has 3 sensors for outdoors. So far for $50 it’s worked well.

sonoranfans

I would keep sensors out of direct sun and away from large rock/concrete.  Can I assume the sensor is under shade?  I see no evidence of moisture variation... I might expect the jungle to be more humid.

NickJames

Thank you for posting! I have a weather station that provides info for one location. It’s pole mounted behind my property (no complaints from HOA) to get the most accurate wind reading. Since I live in a big stucco home, I always wonder how much warmer it is closer to the home. I will check this model out. 

• Like 1

WaianaeCrider
3 hours ago, James B said:

It’s made by Accurite. Has 3 sensors for outdoors. So far for $50 it’s worked well.

I havve something by Accurite as well.  Do you have a model number?

sonoranfans

Of course you can create your own microclimate.  In florida, shade canopy does that perhaps more than any other factor.  Canopy traps heat in winter, blunting severe lows by 2-3 degrees, and in summer it reduces dessication of sandy soils, great for those water loving palms.  My palms provide a filtered shade, sunlight gets in, but there is plenty of intermittent blocking of sun.  their root areas dont dry so fast since not so much sun hits them.  My issues is that even shade tolerant bermudagrass does poorly in such a filtered shade.  So you get to have the best cold tolerance in your yard by density of plantings and by canopy at the expense of that good looking grass.  I have no issue with that.:laugh2:

• Like 4

James B
2 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

I havve something by Accurite as well.  Do you have a model number?

Looks like 02082M.

James B
5 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I would keep sensors out of direct sun and away from large rock/concrete.  Can I assume the sensor is under shade?  I see no evidence of moisture variation... I might expect the jungle to be more humid.

All sensors are under shade most of the day. The first zone gets hit with direct sun from the west from 4pm to 6pm so I disregard it’s readings during this time.

WaianaeCrider
1 hour ago, James B said:

Looks like 02082M.

Mahalo, will check Amazon.

DoomsDave

You crowd enough of everything together and it alters the climate.

"We are the microclimate!"

My dense jungle definitely helps some tender plants make that might not otherwise, like Dypsis fibrosa.

A6916D65-D015-410A-ABA3-562D2B2BF796.thumb.jpeg.b4571a3b9d87a345c021ea99a0a6e939.jpeg

8991FA36-F9E5-42A5-9E6C-AF560F8C0328.thumb.jpeg.ec7eecf0956f5434487a6dc492b95436.jpeg

• Like 5

James760

20200812_231156.thumb.jpg.0389db40cb34a8c9a3a0b69596d206d6.jpg

Zone 3 of my yard is always 3-6f warmer every night :D! During this past winter the coldest night temperature was 25f while other zones recorded 22f.

• Like 4

James B
9 hours ago, James760 said:

20200812_231156.thumb.jpg.0389db40cb34a8c9a3a0b69596d206d6.jpg

Zone 3 of my yard is always 3-6f warmer every night :D! During this past winter the coldest night temperature was 25f while other zones recorded 22f.

5 zones??? Awesome!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fusca
11 hours ago, James760 said:

So you know where best to zone-push! :D  Looks like zone 5 gets more direct sun time between 10 am and noon like @James B's zone 1 (if I'm reading it right).

• Like 2

doubravsky

This thread convinced me - just ordered an Ambient Weather station with 5 zones...  thanks!

• Like 2

TexasColdHardyPalms

@James760 I have a lot of those Chinese systems at the nursery. I think we data log 20 points of temperature, mostly in separate cold frames. 

• Like 1

James760
3 hours ago, Fusca said:

So you know where best to zone-push! :D  Looks like zone 5 gets more direct sun time between 10 am and noon like @James B's zone 1 (if I'm reading it right).

Unfortunately I planted out that area with Sabal Minors,Palmettos,  Trachycarpus Wagnerianus Lol! Once I put the temperature sensors out & realized the nice microclimate there I squeezed in Arenga Engleri,  Syagrus Glaucescens & a Brahea Elegans. Only thing left i have to plant there is a Dypsis Decipiens :D

As far as the high day temperature recordings I dismiss those.  All but one get direct sunlight so there inaccurate. 

James760

@TexasColdHardyPalms, I really like them! I find them really accurate as well. I tested them with a thermostat i bought from Amazon & they all were within a degree or 2 of the ambient sensors. 

• Like 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

Yes they are accurate. I think we can log almost a year worth of data. 

Yunder Wækraus
On 8/12/2020 at 4:39 PM, Jim in Los Altos said:

It’s amazing how much temperatures can vary from one part of a yard to another. I nearly gave up on growing a healthy long term Wodyetia (Foxtail Palm) because I’d tried a number of them and cool wet winters would do them in a south facing spot by the front of my garage with stone facing and concrete and stone at its base and the palm is flourishing now for seven years. I put a Royal and Foxy Lady in the same area and Royal is slow but steady and the Foxy Lady is a rocket! Afternoon temperatures on a sunny winter afternoon can be 6-8° warmer than in other areas of my landscape and soil temps are way higher. 

Pix?

Merlyn2220

That's pretty impressive for an inexpensive setup!  WS-3000 console for $47, and WH31E sensors for $20 each ($10 for each additional if ordered at the same time).  A 5 channel system for $107 shipped...nice!  They also have a WS-3000-X5 including 5 sensors as a package for $102.  That's a great deal if they are accurate and reliable!

palmfriend

Hi,

creating a microclimate always fascinated me.

Here a spot in 2014 on our property - we bought the house in 2012 - ...

ba00.thumb.JPG.31bc1edf256ed8560d622141a766960f.JPG

...and here it is now - same spot.

ba01.thumb.jpg.a2f5bd290dc827357d73548490b4a4c0.jpg

Diving in... (almost all plants from seed)

ba02.thumb.jpg.5b3f150cf48a2d52eb8ca3e371deb39e.jpg

ba03.thumb.jpg.5aa489f4432d10424cec6069c994bb5a.jpg

ba04.thumb.jpg.4d30bdee7059b5f9f8e8a35d8943ea71.jpg

Looking into that spot and taking in that feeling of a little new world (of plants) with its own microclimate is a real pleasure.

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 5

PhilippineExpat

Very nice space @palmfriend! It looks like I'm looking at a garden in the Philippines. Is that a giant fern? And I see one of your oil palms in the last pic! it looks nice and fat. I'm too scared to plant my stuff that packed because mealy bugs have been a major issue in my garden.