IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fired My Palm Assistant Sleeping on job

Briank

Had to dig out my Fav Palm today as it just slowly croaked! Brahea Decumbens. 

I also lost My most Impossible Palm to Find Brahea Pimo.   Both caught a fungal or Root Rot I don’t know.   My Dad probably over watered them to hell.   He loves to water the hell out of stuff.  

Anyways, me and my Palm Assistant went to plant something in their place. 

Planted a Pritchardia Hillibrandi x Beccariana Hybrid 

Not sure what I’m gonna plant in the other Spot. Something slow growing as that Decumbens was in a perfect Spot and looked great. 

My Assitant was sleeping on the Job, and Enjoying the Breeze,  he Tends to just be on looked out for Birds, Rabbits, and Mailman if they try to come on the property 

EA539210-8545-4651-8374-2FBF0BCD3611.jpeg

FCDA3499-97DA-4B3B-AC38-8E96CE8DB06E.jpeg

9091ADF7-6EE5-48A5-88EB-1BD86001E78C.jpeg

C8B7C654-E086-414E-92F9-35B288990003.jpeg

77C7DFC4-2035-46D7-A9A3-73A92DB80453.jpeg

89638BFF-3A5D-466F-966B-174E8C136066.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Aww, looks like a nice doggie!

Hmm. Doggie water ain't good, though, alas.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

14 hours ago, Briank said:

Both caught a fungal or Root Rot I don’t know.  

Hi! That's a C. seifrizii just behind, right? Did you check for fungus/bugs between the old leaf dry stalks and the trunk? Maybe the source of the issue. I had an issue like yours some time ago...twice...the fungal infection came from the seifrizii uncleaned trunk. Now, the old leaf stalks, I just clean them and that's it, no more fungus/bugs on seifrizii's nearby palms.

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

14 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Hi! That's a C. seifrizii just behind, right? Did you check for fungus/bugs between the old leaf dry stalks and the trunk? Maybe the source of the issue. I had an issue like yours some time ago...twice...the fungal infection came from the seifrizii uncleaned trunk. Now, the old leaf stalks, I just clean them and that's it, no more fungus/bugs on seifrizii's nearby palms.

Hmmmmm I’ve never really thought about that.   I don’t really know.   Where should I check on it and clean the bases ? I did put that Chamadorea in after the other ones so I could be.   Also my dad tends to over water the hell out of my palms that don’t need that much water soo I was leaning on that being the source of them problem lol. 

13 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Nice set up. You should give him one more chance.

I did.  Can’t turn this face away,  he likes to be in the action everywhere I go.  Loves to hang w them palms 

813620D2-9EC3-4CEE-A4AD-B0FD47A14AA6.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

lordy, looks like my Iggy from 30+ years ago.

Lovable as can be, lick you skinless?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 hours ago, Briank said:

Hmmmmm I’ve never really thought about that.   I don’t really know.   Where should I check on it and clean the bases ? I did put that Chamadorea in after the other ones so I could be.   Also my dad tends to over water the hell out of my palms that don’t need that much water soo I was leaning on that being the source of them problem lol. 

Yep, shady wet conditions, a perfect  mix... just look under the old dry crownshaft/old leaf base...or even on the outter roots. Now I rip the old base as soon as the leaf dries or yellows. I lost a Trachy and two Sabals due to that...(only fan palms!...like yours).

FCDA3499-97DA-4B3B-AC38-8E96CE8DB06E.thumb.jpeg.a23d6bc59ab116eeb030b4c8ad84147c.jpeg

Greetings, Luís

Several Chamaedorea species have extremely adherent old leafbases.  If the gardener atempts to remove them prematurely the old leafbase fibers will tear into living tissue below the point of attachment, providing an entry  point for opportunistic pathogens like fungi.  If this injury occurs one should apply powdered sulfur to the wound.

This condition  includes Chamaedorea carchensis (benziei), C. glaucifolia, and C. hooperiana.  For these species it is best to leave the dried leafbases attached for a long time, until they yield easily. 

I don't have direct experience with C. seifritzii.    :)  

San Francisco, California

16 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Several Chamaedorea species have extremely adherent old leafbases.  If the gardener atempts to remove them prematurely the old leafbase fibers will tear into living tissue below the point of attachment, providing an entry  point for opportunistic pathogens like fungi.  If this injury occurs one should apply powdered sulfur to the wound.

This condition  includes Chamaedorea carchensis (benziei), C. glaucifolia, and C. hooperiana.  For these species it is best to leave the dried leafbases attached for a long time, until they yield easily. 

I don't have direct experience with C. seifritzii.    :)  

Hi, Darold! You're right. "Several Chamaedorea species have extremely adherent old leafbases", but seifrizii is very gardener friendly regardind to that, they dry fast and are easy to remove (that´s why they form a gap between the trunk and the bark, where fungus and others find shelter) without any damage. I'd rather have them in their "Bamboo bark skin" look, but due to mottle, bugs and fungus issues that hide under that "skin" I realy need to remove it... I'm also growing other Chamaedorea species: costaricana; elegans; hooperiana; metallica; radicalis.... and I don't even try to do that with them before the leafbases are completely dry...and hanging out. ;)

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

3 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Hi, Darold! You're right. "Several Chamaedorea species have extremely adherent old leafbases", but seifrizii is very gardener friendly regardind to that, they dry fast and are easy to remove (that´s why they form a gap between the trunk and the bark, where fungus and others find shelter) without any damage. I'd rather have them in their "Bamboo bark skin" look, but due to mottle, bugs and fungus issues that hide under that "skin" I realy need to remove it... I'm also growing other Chamaedorea species: costaricana; elegans; hooperiana; metallica; radicalis.... and I don't even try to do that with them before the leafbases are completely dry...and hanging out. ;)

Just pulled the old one off,  only one stem had this but got the old ones off.   Gonna try to convince my dad to stop over watering everything.   I just cleaned off the stem and hope I can get it under control.  Don’t want to lost Pritchardia.  Might just plant Plumeria instead 

89AA7493-C927-4A45-8BB6-5C3EDD54BA21.jpeg

E00DEFF7-92B9-4170-B31C-4CF6FB7ED317.jpeg

1 hour ago, Briank said:

Just pulled the old one off,  only one stem had this but got the old ones off.   Gonna try to convince my dad to stop over watering everything.   I just cleaned off the stem and hope I can get it under control.  Don’t want to lost Pritchardia.  Might just plant Plumeria instead 

89AA7493-C927-4A45-8BB6-5C3EDD54BA21.jpeg

E00DEFF7-92B9-4170-B31C-4CF6FB7ED317.jpeg

Glad I could help you find those bugs.

Just like my issue...in winter time it gets worse. Good that you checked during the hot season. Those mealybugs...only attract unwanted "things" to palms. Just keep it clean and everything will be ok. It worked for me!

@Darold Petty, I think we all really hate mealybugs! :crying:

Edited by lzorrito
  • Like 1

Greetings, Luís

4 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Glad I could help you find those bugs.

Just like my issue...in winter time it gets worse. Good that you checked during the hot season. Those mealybugs...only attract unwanted "things" to palms. Just keep it clean and everything will be ok. It worked for me!

@Darold Petty, I think we all really hate mealybugs! :crying:

I have never encountered this or ever checked.  Thank you.   What do you spray or use to get rid of them? I honestly just wiped it off with a rag; should I spray it down with something or just wipe off?  I never been told to look at for them,  I just recently got my Huge Canary Treated cause I cannot lose than Palm!  It’s huge and gives my house much shade.   They gonna come 3x yr to treat for Palm Weevil.   Mine is about 30’ trunk with Huge base 

My Palm Protector First Assistant wanted to lay in the garden alllll morning from 9am-12 all by himself and enjoy the shade n breeze! 

921D946C-3B2D-4FAE-AB01-C25C3455F156.jpeg

AE36C4E9-7D51-4816-8AA8-4CE1471A2853.jpeg

• Like 1

From 5 months old To today.   Ill try to find the pic of when I got him at 2 months old.  Was a baby black bear hence why his name is Baloo.    He been about 130-34 lbs and I’ve been able to get him down to 124 lbs during this Covid.  He’s 7-1/2 now. 

45600B60-27CA-4507-81DE-D0B4996763AE.jpeg

76017ADF-CFA7-4F3B-85DB-0658EDC32E42.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Briank said:

I have never encountered this or ever checked.  Thank you.   What do you spray or use to get rid of them? I honestly just wiped it off with a rag; should I spray it down with something or just wipe off?  I never been told to look at for them,  I just recently got my Huge Canary Treated cause I cannot lose than Palm!  It’s huge and gives my house much shade.   They gonna come 3x yr to treat for Palm Weevil.   Mine is about 30’ trunk with Huge base 

I usually just wipe it smoothly with a rag and with a soft toothbrush where the rag can't handle, like around the flower stalks, where it also occurs even after leafbase cleaning. I also use the soft toothbrush or other kind of long soft brush to smoothly clean deep inside the crownshat without damaging it.

I only use a triple action  fungicide/insect spray (insects, mites and major fungal diseases, aphids, lepidopteral larvae (plusia, bega, night)red spiders, peeling and rust) when the issue is unreachable using a rag or a brush. I also use it on Fall/early Winter on some fungal/bugs susceptible palms, as localized preventive treatment. It works, but must keep sharp and look periodically.

Protect your huge P. canariensis as much as possible and keep an eye on fusarium issues...they are very susceptible. A 30’ trunk canariensis is now a treasure around here, take good care of it, please! I grew with them around here...there were hundreds, dominating the lanscape, including some huge centenary ones. All gone now, the Rhynchophorus ferrugineus plague took such proportions that only some  heavily treated palms survived. Some cluster are now regrowing/"reborning" like the mythical "Phoenix". Got one nearby that is practically growing on salt water.

P.S. I used to have German shepherds. Lovely dogs. My last one "ate" a lemon tree...!

Edited by lzorrito
  • Like 2

Greetings, Luís

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 2:07 AM, lzorrito said:

I usually just wipe it smoothly with a rag and with a soft toothbrush where the rag can't handle, like around the flower stalks, where it also occurs even after leafbase cleaning. I also use the soft toothbrush or other kind of long soft brush to smoothly clean deep inside the crownshat without damaging it.

I only use a triple action  fungicide/insect spray (insects, mites and major fungal diseases, aphids, lepidopteral larvae (plusia, bega, night)red spiders, peeling and rust) when the issue is unreachable using a rag or a brush. I also use it on Fall/early Winter on some fungal/bugs susceptible palms, as localized preventive treatment. It works, but must keep sharp and look periodically.

Protect your huge P. canariensis as much as possible and keep an eye on fusarium issues...they are very susceptible. A 30’ trunk canariensis is now a treasure around here, take good care of it, please! I grew with them around here...there were hundreds, dominating the lanscape, including some huge centenary ones. All gone now, the Rhynchophorus ferrugineus plague took such proportions that only some  heavily treated palms survived. Some cluster are now regrowing/"reborning" like the mythical "Phoenix". Got one nearby that is practically growing on salt water.

P.S. I used to have German shepherds. Lovely dogs. My last one "ate" a lemon tree...!

Update ********************************* 

i got Him Again!!!!! Straight blantenly Snoring And Yawning on the Job!!!!! 

E87DA517-4B81-46D0-90E7-3D8264F83F46.jpeg

084EA51B-DF40-4505-9D96-874B4343ABFD.jpeg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Briank said:

Straight blantenly Snoring And Yawning on the Job!!!!! 

He's just showing you where the cool spot is. :D

5 hours ago, NOT A TA said:
5 hours ago, Briank said:

Straight blantenly Snoring And Yawning on the Job!!!!! 

He's just showing you where the cool spot is.

@Briank...you dog is working hard! Notice that it's certainly trying to sniff and hear the mealybugs on that shady spot without being noticed. The watchdog points out the threat:D!

Greetings, Luís